Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Using Two or more PiX10Hubs (HG servers)?  (Read 4627 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Using Two or more PiX10Hubs (HG servers)?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 03:34:20 PM »

I have never seen a personal need for multiple HG boxes that do the same thing.  But, if you have multiple tasks for each then it might be beneficial to have them linked.  Perhaps one is a media server, another a sensor interface (thinking RF gateway of some kind), and a third is the master controlling your lighting.  The media server could be high enough demand for decoding videos that there would be a delay in your HA activities so having it split could be good.  If you are processing the RF in real time on the RPi, it might not be a good idea to try to do anything else on it.  So, you could have a sensor in the media room with some automated lights and the master HG box could be aware of the lighting level, outside temperature, and media being played.  It could then control the lights and window treatment to get appropriate lighting and adjust the thermostat accordingly.  If you wanted to use a single machine to do all of this, it could be done but would not be feasible with a single RPi.

I don't do that stuff, so a single RPi with HG is sufficient for me!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 03:53:29 PM »

Originaly I had two reasons for two Pis till I got a addon board for my Zero W allowing 3 full sized USB ports.

Now the only reason I run two RPI with HG is one is accessible from the web for which I have HG password protected. This renders the HG Echo Bridge inoperable. The program may get updated to work with the password protection of HG at some point.

If/when that happens I'll move to one giving me a board for my magic mirror.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 04:32:33 PM »

So I had stop forwarding info from one Raspi (HG) to another (HG) about a year and a half ago.
this HA season I began playing with GPIO pins on different boards and thought I'd revisit this.
Since I put the Rasberry Pi Desktop on a laptop I now have 4 HG internal servers running.
I attempted  share all info between them with my Bullseye Mini PC as my main server.
I then discovered the 4 programs that were originaly included in HG have been removed from the interconnections group and only MQTT is now there. :(
I figured maybe the MQTT program was updated to include this so I attempted to use just that. No Go :( ::) :'
I attempted to down load and install a old version of HG that I knew had thouse however that version is no longer downloadable. B:(
I then remembered I had an old PiX10Hub v1.2 image laying arround so I installed it and sure enough there they were! :)%
I've attached them to the post incase anyone else is looking for them but more for me to easily find if I need them again in the future.
I setup MQTT and these programs and now all instances of HG can see things which only one is actualy getting the info. :)%
I still need to tweek this abit and I know eventualy I'll be back to just running one PI and my Mini PC
 >!

Note: the file needs to be renamed removing the .txt so you can unzip
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.