Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alarms quit sounding  (Read 5814 times)

cscjjd

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Alarms quit sounding
« on: February 01, 2019, 03:53:12 PM »

Hi, 

my system has been installed and working for many years.  Recently both of my PowerHorns (one PSH01 and one SH10A) have quit sounding.  I use these with an SC1200.    The two PowerHorns were plugged into different circuits (outlets) and moving them has not fixed the problem.

I know the alarm is activated because the SC1200 still dials out however, it now dials out too soon - the Entry Delay is set for 23 seconds but dialing starts at 8 to 10 seconds.  (Dialing also starts 8 to 10 seconds after the alarm is tripped by a motion sensor).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

JD

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: Alarms quit sounding
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 04:41:19 PM »

Does the security light(s) that you have assigned to the SC1200 flash on an off during the alarm?  Also, if you have a controller with All Lights On/All Units Off assigned to the same house code as the sirens, do they activate when you rock the All Lights On/All Units Off switch on and off?

cscjjd

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 07:23:34 PM »

Hello Arizona,

I don't presently have any lights connected but I do have some light modules that I've used in the past.  I will try to re-connect these to see if they activate but I don't have much experience with them.  Also, it may be a few days before I have time to locate and connect them.

Thanks for your input,

JD

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 08:14:01 PM »

It sounds like you may have gotten a power surge if both PowerHorns stopped working at the same time.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 09:47:44 PM »

You can test the sirens with a simple on then off  (then on, off, on, off, on, off.... it takes 4 cycles if I remember correctly) using something like a palmpad. I always test things with a separate TM751 Wireless Transceiver set on the A house code (I only use A for testing).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 06:26:15 AM »

In my tests of a early production SC1200. Some revisions of the PH508/PSH01 Large Powerhorns did not work correctly. As the trigger cycle of On and Off signals didn't trigger them. I did not do any tests with the SH10A/PSH02 Small Powerhorn.

The SC1200 has two Security Light Code addresses. The one set in the options menu and the next Unit Code higher.
I used B1 in my tests. The console sent a cycle of B1,B2,BOn-B1,B2,BOff. Some Date Code Large Powerhorns did not trigger other maybe a occasional squeak or sounded for a few seconds.

If you have an XTB-IIR. I had to set High Command Storm Threshold . The constant stream of X10 commands triggered it to shut down. Thinking it was a signal storm on the power lines.

Since yours did work OK something may have changed.

The simple command cycle HA Dave pointed out. Should trigger your Large Powerhorns. A cycle of All Lights On, All Units Off to the House code being tested. Should also trigger the Large Powerhorns. The not as commonly used All Lights Off seemed to also work for me. In place of the All Units Off.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 06:52:16 AM by Brian H »

cscjjd

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 12:24:01 PM »

Wow, great input everybody...

After reading your suggestions, I tried sending a series of on/off signals using a SH624 Remote Control but did not get any response from either PowerHorn. 

My next step will be to find my lamp modules (which have not been plugged in for a year or so) and see if they respond appropriately or not.

I will find them sometime this weekend and report the results.

Thanks!

JD

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 07:17:36 PM »

One more tip.
If the Lamp Module is the Soft Start version. Where the light ramps On and Off. The earlier version. Ramp On and Off even with the Security Console sending the On Off sequence. The later revision ones. Ramp On and Off with normal commands like from a remote but start flashing On and off with no ramp. During a security console sending the cycles and doing the security light flash described in the manual.

cscjjd

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 12:08:45 PM »

OK, some discoveries over the weekend...

1.  using a lamp module, I found that it responds only if it is on the same circuit as the 1200.  It used to work on other circuits in the house.
2.  the SH10A powerhorn also responds only if it is on the same circuit as the 1200 and it no longer respects the Entry Delay but instead begins sounding immediately upon a door being opened.  It used to work on other circuits in the house.
3.  the PSH01 powerhorn does not respond on any circuit.

I am almost ready to conclude that the PSH01 is broken, burned out, unrecoverable.

Anyone have a theory on why the other devices now have to be on the same circuit when previously they did not (no changes have been made to the electrical system inside of the house) or a workaround?

Thanks,

JD
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 12:11:20 PM by cscjjd »

arizona480

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 03:01:22 PM »

Have you replaced any appliances?  Added any charging stations for phones or laptops?  I had to put a switch on my new washer which kills the power to it as it has electronics that were preventing the x10 signals from crossing to the other circuit leg.

Also, you say the SH10A would sound during the Entry Delay or after an alarm trip after the 30 sec. grace period?

cscjjd

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 05:49:26 PM »

Thanks Arizona, with further checking I've found...

1.  I made a mistake in reporting that my Entry delay was being ignored (I was testing with a door sensor that was set to Min but the (console) Entry delay only works if the opened zone has its sensor set to Max). 

2.  The only new electronics I could think of were two new surge protectors.  I've unplugged both of them but it made no difference.

So the one remaining mystery is why the powerhorn must be on the same circuit as the console when previously it did not.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 06:15:39 PM »

Do you have a phase coupler or X10 signal repeater in the system? To get the X10 power line signals between the two incoming power lines. It could have failed.

Your description indicate you have a noise problem, coupling problem or a signal sucker.
Is the SC1200's power supply on the same AC circuit as the computing equipment or an UPS AC input?

Jeff has a great set of X10 troubleshooting tutorials. If you have not seen them yet.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

I guess there is a remote possibility the SC1200's power supply has a bad X10 power line transmitter in it. As it supplies power to the SC1200 and sends the X10 commands back onto the power line. Do you have any X10 signal tester by chance?
X10 does sell a replacement XM19A but I would not jump on that bandwagon with out trying more tests.

Would you happen to have another X10 controller or transceiver you could try in the same location as the SC1200? To see if another X10 sender also has limited coverage.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:22:42 PM by Brian H »

cscjjd

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 09:21:04 PM »

Do you have a phase coupler or X10 signal repeater in the system? To get the X10 power line signals between the two incoming power lines. It could have failed.

No to both.

Your description indicate you have a noise problem, coupling problem or a signal sucker.
Is the SC1200's power supply on the same AC circuit as the computing equipment or an UPS AC input?

No.

Jeff has a great set of X10 troubleshooting tutorials. If you have not seen them yet.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

This looks like a really good resource.

I guess there is a remote possibility the SC1200's power supply has a bad X10 power line transmitter in it. As it supplies power to the SC1200 and sends the X10 commands back onto the power line. Do you have any X10 signal tester by chance?

No.

X10 does sell a replacement XM19A but I would not jump on that bandwagon with out trying more tests.

Would you happen to have another X10 controller or transceiver you could try in the same location as the SC1200? To see if another X10 sender also has limited coverage.

I may be able to borrow another SC1200 in a week or two.

Thanks Brian!

arizona480

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 12:41:45 AM »

I didn't know there was an x10 signal tester?  Made by x10 or third party?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 06:16:19 AM »

http://jvde.us/xtb/xtb_ordering.htm

Jeff at JV Digital Engineering made a XTBM and XTBM-Pro. http://jvde.us/xtbm.htm
Jeff has indicated that he is not making additional assemblies or kits after what is left is sold.
Right now only the Assembled XTBM-Pro is listed as available.
The status of the rentals would have to be answered by JV Digital Engineering.

His XTB-IIR coupler repeater. That blasts an X10 signal on both phases and many of us recommend. Looks like it is still available.

There where others like the ELK ESM-1 and the Smarthome TesterLinc that are now discontinued. I suppose some auction sites my occasionally have them. Though the XTBM and XTBM-Pro have great features.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:28:39 AM by Brian H »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.