Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Geo fencing with HG?  (Read 1241 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Geo fencing with HG?
« on: February 01, 2019, 07:11:51 PM »

While going through some of the HG addon packages I seen the "Ping me at Home" add on.
Although I've not tried this I'm sure some here would be interested in playing with it.
It seems it pings your Phone while you have the HG security armed and it can trigger events when you get close to home.
Ok this may not be Geo Fencing the way some are thinking but it sounds like a start.
Has anyone tried it yet?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Geo fencing with HG?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 08:40:04 PM »

No, but it works by linking one or more devices (phone, tablet, etc) to your HG setup.  When it sees the device it will allow an event to fire.  If it sees the device leave IIRC it fires an event after a certain delay (in case the device was just disconnected for a short time like in a dead spot).  I can't remember how the device is connected, but I thought it was Bluetooth.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Geo fencing with HG?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »

……. I can't remember how the device is connected, but I thought it was Bluetooth.

Geo-fencing can be  Blue Tooth enabled. BT is something Tuicemen knows all about. YEARS ago... Tuice experimented with a program he wrote called BlueWatch. He was way ahead of his time.

But the real way to make this stuff work right...... is a network of cooperative processors/computers, software/apps, and servers (AKA the cloud). The phone reports their movements to the cloud-server (via an app) that transfers the information to appropriate cloud based server which reports to the Hub/device. This also allows geo-location... so you can trigger events like..... when you leave work. That... is just one of the reasons I keep plugging the use of cloud AI technology. There is just so much more that can be done EASILY... than can reliability be done even with hunderds of hours of home programming (without the cloud).

I am sure there are many ways to exploit HG and Pi technology to improve Home Automation. But it might be better to NOT compare cloud based and off-line technologies in this one case.  OR do as all the other Hub manufactures have done and commercialize the Pi based product with your own servers.... like I've suggested X10 should do.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:41:33 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.