🔌General Home Automation > Other Automation Systems

Lowe's Pulls the Plug On Iris Smart Home Platform.

(1/4) > >>

Brian H:
Looks like another Home Automation System bites the dust. Including any support at all.
https://www.cnet.com/news/lowes-pulls-the-plug-on-the-iris-smart-home-platform/

m82a1pa:
I got an email from them yesterday.  They're sending a $100 Visa card after i applied online.

Tuicemen:
News like this just reinforces my decision not to jump the X10 ship.

JeffVolp:
That is always the risk when you have to rely on something outside your home that you don't own yourself.

Jeff

HA Dave:
Is anyone really surprised?

We've discussed that here before. Many.... maybe even MOST of the current brands will fail during this new golden age of Home Automation. But as the [linked] story pointed out:

In theory, customers could find another hub to talk to their sensors. The Iris by Lowe's site offers Samsung's SmartThings as a comparable replacement that should work with a few Iris sensors.

Samsung.... seems to be trying to be the "one" (and I have read of a Samsung Hub App that allows the use of a CM19A). I think overall.... seeing the paring-down of the many, many, WiFi offerings..... isn't at all a bad thing for us Home Automation users who don't mind a bit of mix-and-match. Why shouldn't we be free to buy the best and or least expensive brand of motion sensor from one maker.... and the best door sensor from another manufacture. And buy [smart] light bulbs locality, while buying big brand name light switches (for other applications) on-line. I think.... IMHO... it's all going to work out fine.   

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on February 02, 2019, 08:48:24 AM ---News like this just reinforces my decision not to jump the X10 ship.
--- End quote ---

If not even a single soul "jumps ship".... from X10.... we will likely see their doors close once again. Every store (even on-line stores) need to expand their customer base and sell new products. No sales... no profits. A reason to keep using X10 won't be enough. X10 needs new products, and ways to exploit new [automation] technologies. Free markets always produce winners and losers.... or maybe better put... winning in a free market requires successful efforts. Iris failed because of it's limited sale's space (Lowes) would be my guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version