Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The "Cloud"  (Read 3090 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: The "Cloud"
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 12:27:26 PM »

This 100+ page treatise on privacy and cyber security from Merrill Lynch/BofA is very interesting and is worth perusing.
 https://goo.gl/Pjp3tT

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 07:15:28 AM »

This 100+ page treatise on privacy and cyber security from Merrill Lynch/BofA is very interesting and is worth perusing.
 https://goo.gl/Pjp3tT

Loved this graphic of peoples concerns:

Home Automation is an always changing technology

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 01:04:05 AM »

In the real world (in the US anyway), privacy is far more infringed on than what the news claims (mass shootings, terrorism, weather-pocalypse).  This is a tech forum, so I'll leave it at that.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2875867002

Maybe these guys need some tin foil hats.  They don't blindly trust Amazon either. Strange.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 10:44:04 PM »

I am not saying people shouldn't be fearful..... particularly if they find it enjoyable. After all.....  according to the American Coaster Enthusiasts, a group of coaster lovers...…. there are 1,429 roller coasters worldwide, all designed to excite and scare. Which BTW.... is exactly what most of the "death from Internet spying" stories are all about too. No useful information.... just scary little stories... best read late at night by the glow of a laptop. Sorta like ghost story's whispered around a campfire... when we were kids.

But we aren't kids. And as adults we know the older kids that try to scare the younger children with made-up (or half-true) stories of murdered campers.... aren't trying to be helpful. 

HA Dave

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 08:11:19 AM »

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 06:17:56 PM »

Three thoughts passed through my mind, some due to recent news reports.

You referenced a paid advertisement as if it were fact. That's Microsoft stirring the pot, that's all.

Although I agree that changes are coming, this is AI not HA. AI is progressing for lots of reasons, one of them being that we're creatures of habit.

What bothers me is the companies that post data back to FB without even having FB on your phone. That, I think is one of the biggest problems.

HA Dave

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 09:42:57 PM »

Three thoughts passed through my mind, some due to recent news reports.

You referenced a paid advertisement as if it were fact....

No. I shared a Cnet link... that's all. I think it's interesting.

…. this is AI not HA.

There was a time.... when I read at this very forum.... an uproar against Home Automation using Internet connected PC's (I hesitated to do so myself). Todays uproar against AI is not any different. Just more resistance to change.... perfectly normal and natural. And whereas I've had a PC of some sort running my home for more than a decade...… TODAY... without AI I would have no modern home automation. I can't separate my AI from my HA.

What bothers me is the companies that post data back to FB without even having FB on your phone. That, I think is one of the biggest problems.

Computer... AI....Internet Security.... anonymity... privacy. All (and other words) are current buzz-words with vague definitions and/or understanding as to how those words apply to modern-day communications and the devices used. This... lack of understanding is what has been termed (by our government) as "generational".

This reference to generational simply means.... a large part of the population will never really understand or adapt to todays exponential technological changes. So the technology marches forward... with security issues seemingly getting nothing more than government lip-service.... while an entire (well aged) generation mutters to themselves about security issues. Soon enough... enough of the baby boomers will eliminate themselves from any conversations about new technologies.

I myself.... would rather be a part of the societal changes that technology is enabling. But even government understands it can't argue with (or change the minds of) Luddites. Understanding and accepting these changes.... is an internal process... that each of us can decide to participate in.... or not.

I sure hope none of the above sounds argumentative or condescending. I think most of us here are just too close to the problem.... too inside the center of all the change... to have a true visual perspective of the problem. It ain't the ole days... and there ain't no going back. We charge forward... learning and adapting as fast as we can. Or we hunker down and stagnate in place. Unfortunately... there is NO middle ground.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:00:06 AM by HA Dave »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.