Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: can x10 security door sensors work with Pi, alexa, ha-bridge, smartthings?  (Read 2629 times)

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13

Hello all,
I was not sure where to post and couldn't find answer in forum. If this has been addressed already please just post link and I will read up.
I would like to use my x-10 door/window sensors and connect them to smartthings or alexa. I would like to have alexa announce when the sensor is triggered.
Is this possible and what is needed?  I have cm15, pi with HG and HA, also smartthings hub, echo plus, door sensors.

Thank you in advance
Paizano

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: can x10 security door sensors work with Pi, alexa, ha-bridge, smartthings?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 05:00:22 PM »

Currently Alexa push notifications have to be done via a Skill. However it may be possible to use IFTTT to do it.
I'm not up on all the Alexa possible pushes (if any) IFTTT can do but I do believe you can do a email trigger. This can be setup in HG so when a sensor trips it sends a specific email. When IFTTT sees the specific email it can tell Alexa to speak a specific phrase.

I'm unfamilure with HA but I believe it has a skill, which may or may not allow Alexa push events. C
ertainly you should beable to do the the email send for IFTTT as well with HA
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 08:27:02 AM »

I have cm15, pi with HG and HA, also smartthings hub, echo plus, door sensors.

I don't know much at all about this.... but sure wish I did. I found this link at the Smartthings hub forum:  https://community.smartthings.com/t/x10-sensors/123832/2
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 10:14:08 AM »

@paizano1 there is another possible solution and that is to send the echo plus the notification directly.
You can use the Alexa Simone says option or a routine to record Alexa speaking the notification you want for the sensor.
 Then create a script (macro) that triggers the sound to play when the sensor is triggered. The Pi needs to be connected to the Echo via the input jack or Bluetooth.
I've done this using Bluetooth with a pi Zero W and an echo dot.
However setting up Bluetooth on a Pi to play sound is a bit of an ordeal.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 11:31:13 AM »

Thanks for the replies, I am looking into other options as well. Currently you can purchase door sensors that work with alexa and when they are triggered you can have her speak messages. The price of those door sensors are a bit high. That is why I wanted to use the ones I had. I will keep working on it and if I find a reasonable solution ( that is one that an old guy with little computer skill can do) I will post.

This is something that is going to take someone smarter than me to figure out. Maybe it will be integrated into alexa or smartthings or ect...

Thanks Again
Paizano

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 11:00:16 PM »

…... Currently you can purchase door sensors that work with alexa and when they are triggered you can have her speak messages. The price of those door sensors are a bit high. That is why I wanted to use the ones I had.

I do understand! It can be heartbreaking to pitch yesterdays tech... at least for some of us.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 07:12:06 AM »

I do understand! It can be heartbreaking to pitch yesterdays tech... at least for some of us.
Especially if they still work as originally designed.
I have a large box of X10 stuff (as many of us old timers do)some things never came out of their packages.  ::) :'
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:15:48 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 09:48:02 AM »

...and the designed purpose is still relevant given a way to interface it with your current system.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3

I have been thinking about it for sometime now. I unplugged AHP pc with x10  3.318 update and with that went all the notifications from door/window sensors. Although it was not the primary security system but was very usefull in many ways.
Looking forward to any solution to use these sensors.

Tuicemen

• Administrator

I unplugged AHP pc with x10  3.318 update and with that went all the notifications from door/window sensors. Although it was not the primary security system but was very usefull in many ways.
Looking forward to any solution to use these sensors.
You can still get notifications from these if your just looking for email or text message get the smart e-mailer program I posted.
If you were looking for other notifications like voice anouncements from Alexa then that is a bit more work but doable.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3

Would smart e-mailer be on this or your web site? Please send me the link. Thanks.

Tuicemen

• Administrator

The links to all my HG programs are in the User created Scripts(program) section on this forum.
The Smart E-mailer link is here http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30881.msg181031#msg181031
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.