Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Back after years away. connection issues  (Read 2780 times)

krpurcel

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Back after years away. connection issues
« on: February 19, 2019, 11:25:13 AM »

I used X10 alot back between 2008 and 2010.  When the usefulness decreased (for me) due to CFLs replacing incandescents, I stopped using it.  I just noticed it works with the right LED bulbs, so I decided to break out my stuff again.  However I am having problems, and it's been a long time since I messed with this.

I downloaded the latest ActiveHome software and am running it on Windows 7.  I put new batteries in my old CM15A interface and plugged it in to power and a USB 2.0 port on the computer. I have taken a table light with an incandescent bulb (that works <g>) and plugged it into a LM465 lamp module set to A2. I have plugged an electric fan into an AM466 appliance module and set it to A6.  The light is on an outlet upstairs.  The fan is on a outlet downstairs that I used to use for X10 back in the day.  Then I added a LM465 and an AM466 control to My Room in the ActiveHome software, matching their settings to the ones on the module.

Neither module responds to the controls in the software.  The software reacts properly, going from on to off and, in the case of the lamp module,  changing from 0 to 100% brightness.  The wav file of the button click plays.  However the lamp and the fan do not respond.

I ran the intro again to make sure the software was recognizing the CM15A.  It says it is.  Please tell me what else I should be checking as I am confused as to why these module aren't responding.  I am sure I am missing something, but don't know what.

Thanks

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Back after years away. connection issues
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 02:30:29 PM »

You could be just making a simple setup error. If you've misplaced you CM15A manual... here's the PFD one:  http://www.authinx.com/manuals/x10/cm15a.pdf

I always like to do a quick "test" when setting up new devices. Why not get all three devices (lamp, fan, and CM15A) in the same room, on the same power bar. That way you know for sure your testing the software setup and not phase, powerline noise, or anything else.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 06:29:14 PM »

You may have noise makers signal suckers or phase coupling issues. That may have been added to the house since you last used AHP and the CM15A.

Have you tested the module in the same outlet as the CM15A is connected to? That may give you some added information to help find issues.

Jeff's great troubleshooting tutorials may give you added help.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

krpurcel

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 10:40:36 AM »

Brian & Dave,

Good suggestions.  Thanks for them and the links.

krpurcel

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 11:12:52 AM »

I plugged everything into the same power strip and still got no response from ActiveHome.  However, I plugged in my old TM751 RF Transceiver module and using the HR12A Home Automation Remote Control, the light and fan are responding as they should in that power strip.

Does that shed more light on where my issue may be with the ActiveHome software?  Since everything is plugged into the same strip and responds to the TM751 but not the CM15A, that would seem to eliminate noise makers and signal suckers. 

My CM11 Controller Connection Configuration is set to disabled as the ActiveHome Pro uses a USB connection.

Under Hardware Interface Configuration, Interface Time says "Hardware Not Connected".  What hardware does that reference?  Since the intro macro says the CM15A was recognized, I assume this refers to some other hardware?

I am unsure what else to check. 

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 01:40:35 PM »

You mentioned Active Home a few times. You are using Active Home Pro?
When you open AHP. The startup screen shows the version number. Is it 3.318?
If the CM15A is not connected. A can't find the CM15A message appears and asks if you are using the CM11A to configure it.
If you didn't get the warning and it is not set to CM11A. I would think it was found.

I also found in the Windows Device Manager.
Human Interface Tab.
X10 Hid Device when the CM15A is connected. USBDeview programs also shows it when a CM15A is connected.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:48:48 PM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 02:56:35 PM »

If the CM15 was connected prior to installing AHP then Windows is most likely using the wrong USB Driver.
If that was the case you'll have to specify Windows use the X10 Cm15 driver located I believe in Program files(X86)/Common Files/x10/DirverInstall/64Wireless Transceivers
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

krpurcel

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 09:12:50 AM »

Thanks Brian and Tuicemen!  I'll check that out!

krpurcel

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 11:09:04 AM »

Tuicemen & Brian,

Thanks for all your help!  Tuicemen was correct.  I uninstalled AHP (yes, I have been using 3.318) and reinstalled after disconnecting the CM15A.  Got the message the interface wasn't connected.  Connected the CM15A, it installed the correct driver, and voila, AHP is working again!  :-)

1 note Tuicemen.  Your reply referenced the Program Files(x86) folder.  It's actually the other Program Files folder, not x86.  That is not a complaint.  Just letting you know for the next time you save someone as you saved me!

Thanks for all your help!!!!  I'm thrilled to be able to use this stuff again.

Kevin

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 01:19:59 PM »

1 note Tuicemen.  Your reply referenced the Program Files(x86) folder.  It's actually the other Program Files folder, not x86.  That is not a complaint.  Just letting you know for the next time you save someone as you saved me!
Humm :o ::) :'  I no longer run AHP but that's where it is in my old Win 7 64 bit PC, in my old XP 32 bit it is where you stated.
In any case your up and running.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 12:31:13 PM »

Also in I think it is configuration. Don't set AHP to auto for housecodes.

This seems to cause a lot of issues with commands not getting sent. Set it to the housecodes you want to use. A, B, C. Only A, etc.

The auto function doesn't work right.

Pro Tip: Abandon the AHP and get The PI version of HomeGenie. This solved about a billion of my problems. Seriously. No Joking.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 01:15:28 PM »

Another thing. The last few AHP revisions where released after the Soft Start feature was added to dimmer modules.
There are now two menu lists for Lamp Modules. The Old before Soft Start list. Is for the older dimmers that don't accept the Extended X10 commands. If you defined an old module with the Lamps List. Dimmers where sent an Extended X10 command. Old modules did not understand.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.