Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: GPS issue  (Read 2214 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: GPS issue
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 10:56:50 PM »

but the smart phone one person in our group was using only showed the track.  On the drive home as people were comparing tracks the map popped up on his phone as we neared a town.  So the map for his smart phone app relies on the telecommunication network versus being stored directly in the GPS memory.
Jeff

Apple phones [iphones] don't use GPS (directly) They use data from the cell towers. I would NOT recommend a cell phone for a rural hike. And... I'd always include an actual old fashion map and compose. Like the preppers say: 2 is 1, and 1 is none.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: GPS issue
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 12:07:39 AM »

Android devices use a combination of GPS and cell towers.  But if you don't plan ahead and have the maps it doesn't matter what location method is available.  Also, my phone lasts around 4 hours when navigating via GPS (screen on) while the GPS tends to last longer.  Yes, both can be plugged into the car while driving.  My dog collar receiver works for around a day of hunting but that's primarily dependent on how the collar communications is set up.  Without the collar turned on, it would last for several days I imagine.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.