Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: 📧HG Smart E-mailer  (Read 15930 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: 📧HG Smart E-mailer
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2020, 03:35:18 PM »

I'm wondering if this may be a mono issue rearing its head again ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2020, 03:56:41 PM »

I tried 3 different email accounts (including using gmail from aspmx.l.google.com which seems to not require authentication).  All get reported from HG as being sent but I never get anything.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2020, 04:26:28 PM »

I tried 3 different email accounts (including using gmail from aspmx.l.google.com which seems to not require authentication).  All get reported from HG as being sent but I never get anything.

I was loathe to comment on this but when I saw mentioned that a Mono problem may be rearing it's head I wanted to assure HG users in the Raspbian environment that this is not the case.

Google and GMX to mention a few free email providers do not want Apps like this using it's services and by this I mean piggybacking of its SMTP server. I suggested to one user before that they use the SMTP server settings of his IP and this resolved his problem permanently.

Surely you guys can obtain the SMTP settings from your IP and resolve this matter for once and for all. Typically your notifications using the above email providers will allow a few notifications through. Their server then starts flagging then as spam or such like and will not process them . They may end up in your spam folder at first and then are not forwarded on at all.

You can spend hours trying to figure this one out or take the advice above and save yourself hours of your time. This is nothing to do with Mono or Linux or anything else relating to your Raspberry Pi. If your really want to resolve this I suggest taking a copy of your HG log and post it on the Homegenie Club where a number of HG experts can cast an eye over them in their own good time.

soxfan1966

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2020, 04:31:53 PM »

I did try my internet provider, as well as Gmail, and none worked.  I used the same settings from my internet provider that do work from my wifi cameras and do send emails.  So whatever the issue is appears to be within HG and whatever the Net.SendMessage is doing - wether that is mono or something else I do not know.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2020, 04:49:18 PM »

I did try my internet provider, as well as Gmail, and none worked.  I used the same settings from my internet provider that do work from my wifi cameras and do send emails.  So whatever the issue is appears to be within HG and whatever the Net.SendMessage is doing - wether that is mono or something else I do not know.

How familiar are you with Linux

soxfan1966

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2020, 04:50:38 PM »

A little bit.   I can run some basic commands etc whke connected to the pi via putty.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2020, 04:53:43 PM »

A little bit.   I can run some basic commands etc whke connected to the pi via putty.

If you want to continue troubleshooting this send me a PM

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2020, 06:05:44 PM »

Keep in mind as others suggest gmail may not work, or gmx, or....  it is not an issue with them.  I was able to verify during my painful similar issue that HG refuses to change the email parameters to any new ones entered.  So if you do not get them right the very first time on a new install, HG has a heck of time (if ever) changing them again.  I found that before, and I find it again today.  Also know it is not a mono issue, it is internal HG:  designer admited once to us that sometimes HG does not update the email info when changed....

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2020, 08:21:39 PM »

There has never been a problem with mono in regards to email notification.  The problem that has been seen over and over is that mono needs to have the security certificates updated. The reason for this is as peters stated...the free email providers are intentionally updating things which will break your setup.

The issue may be that they dont like you getting a free lunch. It may also be that they are trying to stem spam that is being paid for by gmail and yahoo via their open/free smtp servers.  Either way, this is NOT a HG or Mono issue.  I was able to get my Buster RPi to send emails a couple weeks back but it will break again.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2020, 08:44:55 PM »

A few years ago I ran into a similar problem with my Stargate no longer sending emails since it was produced before TLS/SSL was a thing and the email providers required it.  I found smtp2go.com which offers free accounts with an allowance of up to 1000 emails/month and TLS/SSL is optional.  I don't know if that's the answer to the HG issue but might be worth a look.  I've been using it for several years without any issues. 

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2020, 09:07:06 PM »

Myself and @bkenobi have had our fair share of problems with email notifications in HG over the years but we know where to look to sort out the problem.

Just because my bus is going in your direction it doesn't mean you can hop on for free. Choose an IP provider that offers SMTP facilities if you want a guarantee that email notification will work for you. There's no free lunch in the IT sector these days.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2020, 12:52:44 AM »

Choose an IP provider that offers SMTP facilities if you want a guarantee that email notification will work for you. There's no free lunch in the IT sector these days.

Well, at least for now, SMTP2go does just that and invites users who can live within the 1000/month limit to stay on the free plan as long as they like. Three+ years for me so far. No ads, no nags, it just works.  But if you prefer to pay they'll be happy to take your money.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2020, 07:40:01 AM »

Choose an IP provider that offers SMTP facilities if you want a guarantee that email notification will work for you. There's no free lunch in the IT sector these days.

Well, at least for now, SMTP2go does just that and invites users who can live within the 1000/month limit to stay on the free plan as long as they like. Three+ years for me so far. No ads, no nags, it just works.  But if you prefer to pay they'll be happy to take your money.

The magic words “at least for now”. That’s exactly what users have experienced. Works today, doesn’t work tomorrow. Not ideal for a reliable notification system.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2020, 09:33:36 AM »

I'm wondering if this may be a mono issue rearing its head again ::) :'
when I made this statement I didn't mean to imply mono was corrupt or mono was a problem. The statment was to get mike and soxsofan1966 looking in the right direction. My statment didn't  mention the certificates  mainly due to me failing to remember the exact issue.
There has never been a problem with mono in regards to email notification.  The problem that has been seen over and over is that mono needs to have the security certificates updated.
Myself and @bkenobi have had our fair share of problems with email notifications in HG over the years but we know where to look to sort out the problem.

Perhaps a tutorial in the help and trouble shooting section should be created for this. Since this apears to be an issue which seems to be continualy popping up. Users could simply be pointed to it instead of instucting each new user that experiances this individualy.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2020, 09:47:17 AM »

That's a great idea Tuicemen.  MY issue is MY HG refuses to accept the changes made in email settings; I see that in the log.  I have half a dozen email accounts, most of which are SMTP, some with SSL, some without. With HG not accepting changes I have impossible time trying different accounts to find a good open one.   I suspect this is really the issue when trying smtp accounts that do not upset a certificate thing.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.