Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The X10Hub (PiX10Hub) is here! Created by the Community, for the Community.:)% #:)

Poll

Is the PiX10Hub (Homegenie) just a stepping stone to something else?

Yes, I've moved on or plan to.
- 0 (0%)
No, I find HomeGenie supplies all my needs
- 2 (50%)
Maybe, I've not tried it yet but plan to
- 2 (50%)
Using a Pi scares me so I'll never try it.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Whats your opion of the PiX10Hub?  (Read 212 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 264
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
    • Tuicemen Software
Whats your opion of the PiX10Hub?
« on: March 26, 2019, 07:54:13 AM »

The PiX10Hub is now over 3 months old however some of the original  contributors to the project have moved on to other Pi HA software. So I'm wondering:
  • Is the Hubs developement moving to slowly?
  • What is the opinion of users of HomeGenie on it since is the corner stone for the Hub?

The PiX10Hub was originally created to introduce X10 users to the world of Home Automation. I had hoped it would be more then a stepping stone but with it allowing users to easily bridge X10 to other protocols I think that is the perception of it. :(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 08:41:33 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Find extra info @ My forum

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Whats your opion of the PiX10Hub?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 09:11:25 AM »

I started this endeavor to just turn off a few lights my wife always left on.

1K later, a Pi, Network drop, and many other things I have a full blown Home Automation system on my hands.

Lights that I can turn off, dim with remotes. Porch lights that come on at dusk and dawn and go off after daylight or when we are in bed. Cats that have their own heat lamp that comes on when it is cold. Chickens. They have a lamp as well. Wax Melters to keep the house smelling nice. Security (sort of) system. Etc. The list goes on.

What is my opinion on the 2 questions:

1. This is mostly freeware. I buy the hardware the software is free. I can't imagine it moving any faster. Not that I would know the difference. Just not sure I would care.
2. Home Genie does exactly what I planned on it to do and many other things. I love it. Easy to use (mostly) even if you don't know Linux. Easy to get support. Other than a few updates/upgrades I rarely even log into the machine. Unless I am making a programming change or adding a module.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.