Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any replacement for the Plato HouseLink or Smart controller system?  (Read 5711 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Is there any replacement for the old Plato controller system?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 05:47:36 PM »

IMO, unless you are trying to out the RPI in a space limited location, I would recommend the RPI3 over the RPiZW.  The 3 is faster, has more memory, and has more connections. It is still very compact and uses close to no power. The Zero W is slightly smaller but lacks extra USB ports and computing power that IMO you will miss eventually.
I also would recommend a different RPI board if going that route. The latest version 3B+ would be my recommendation also for all the reasons bkenobi and racerfern stated.
However the price of Zero W board makes playing in the Pi world so much more affordable to experiment with.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 05:50:02 PM »

Hue works with HG and that's zigbee. The Dresden board with their software sees Hue bulbs so if HG doesn't see it, it shouldn't take much to get it to work. IMO

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 06:25:11 PM »

Can Hue hubs see all zigbee?

I agree I'd you can get a zero W for $5. If not and you pay $27 for the package, you are close to the 3 price ($35ish). Yes, you will need a usb charger (any phone module works for testing at least) and a micro SD card (most people have one laying around from an old phone). Either works though.

racerfern

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 07:05:41 AM »

Hue hubs do not see all other zigbee devices. I believe Smartthings does see all zigbee (or nearly all) and z-wave devices FWIW.

HA is not cheap no matter what system you use. If the deal breaker is the difference between the price of a zero and a 3B+ then I wonder if that person should even be entertaining implementing HA. For someone who has an up and running system they want to improve, $35 would probably be the least spent in a very long time.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 08:35:23 AM »

Correct. The RPI3 is better in every was except size and price (sort of). There are cases where the zero W would be appropriate, but if you are going to get a case, the 3 is a better choice. Tuicemen was looking for a solution that would fit inside the CM15A battery enclosure which is why the zero W is appropriate. If you aren't using it there, it's not the right choice.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 08:36:16 AM »

For someone who has an up and running system they want to improve, $35 would probably be the least spent in a very long time.
So true!
HA doesn't need to be expensive! I know of one user that fried several Zero W boards attempting to set them up for HA @ $5 a pop it wasn't as big a hit to the pocket book as using 3B+ boards would have been.
A HA setup is as cheap or expensive as you make it and despite all the success stories of SBC running HA setups many are still on the fence about trying one. That was one reason for selecting the Zero W board for the PiX10Hub.
There are several SBC out there that will far out perform the RPI 3B+ however they are also more expensive. Some have moved to using these after playing with the inexpensive Pi boards.

My first RPi was the 3B+ but I use the Zero W for my city HA (I actualy use 2 here). Both Zeros I got for $7 CD and I'm very happy with them.
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 09:27:56 AM »

Expensive is an opinion really. I recall people chastising the opinion that $15 for a smart LED was expensive. I was saying it was way more than a $5 WS467 (at the time) and a $0.25 incandescent bulb. Others claimed it was cheap because the LED bulbs were $45/ea when they were initially released.

IMO, you can get an automation system running (a few lights and outlets including a controller) for less than $100. If you pick other systems, that's maybe a couple modules.  Neither is wrong, but HA doesn't have to empty the wallet completely unless you want it to.

James G

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 01:57:24 PM »

I installed a large X-10 system decades ago using the Plato HouseLink system. Last fall the hurricane that went through the panhandle went through SC close to me and caused a fair amount of damage. It took out my wired motion sensor and my front porch lights. The sensor is no longer available. The front porch lights went out due to a short. All is fixed now but I became concerned about my Plato controller because it is no longer available. I am looking for an X-10 controller that one can still buy.

James G

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 12:14:07 AM »

My great appreciation for someone on the Forum who was able to locate a used Plato HouseLink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He has also helped greatly in other areas. Can't thank you enough!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 03:59:54 PM »

….. So true! HA doesn't need to be expensive! …..

Expensive is an opinion really. ………..
…. IMO, you can get an automation system running (a few lights and outlets including a controller) for less than $100...……... HA doesn't have to empty the wallet completely unless you want it to.

I agree with you both.... to a point. I am pretty frugal myself. so...... I guess you could call dinner out with the wife..... coffee taken from home in travel mugs... and taco's from a drive thru. That would be like 2 bucks and done! But.... that's not how we do things around here.

Although.... my earliest setup was 5 each, X10 light switches, a Palmpad, and a TM751 transceiver. I only considered that a part of my Home Theater (I was hoping for a little convenience and some WOW factor. Only later..... after I added cameras did I start to see my setup as actual "automation". And by then I was hooked and added much more..... including, of course a Security alarm, CM11A, PC connected CM15A (and software's) IR control and on, and on.

But that.... was all a dozen years ago. Today.... anyone can start a basic setup... and maybe not even include remote lighting control. Lighting control after all...... is pretty much 1970's technology. I built a couple Home Theaters with NO remote light control what-so-ever. Plain old-fashion switches on the wall.

I mention Home Automation to people today..... and they say things like: "My Mom has one of those Google things in her kitchen... she says she gets receipts on it". Or.. "I got a Alexa thing for Christmas.... but it's speakers weren't that good... so I mostly still listen to the radio". I know... not positive replies. But never the less... the predominant and relevant attitude about Home Automation.

I don't think the average person who buys a package of remote controlled LED's see's that as "automation". I think most people look towards more modern (AI?) technology for "automation".
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:01:48 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

James G

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 03:05:50 PM »

HI Tuicemen,

Can you change the title of this thread by changing the word "Plato" to the phrase "Plato HouseLink or SmartLink"?

Thanks,

James

Tuicemen

• Administrator
Re: Any replacement for the Plato HouseLink or Smart controller system?
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 03:12:28 PM »

Can do However title space meant I had to shorten it a bit. All previous responses will have the old subject only new posts will have the new subject.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

James G

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 03:52:37 PM »

HI Tuicemen,
The keywords are important for searches. Probably better, "Any replacement for the Plato HouseLink or SmartLink?
Thanks!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 04:59:44 PM »

HI Tuicemen,
The keywords are important for searches. Probably better, "Any replacement for the Plato HouseLink or SmartLink?
Thanks!

You know.... the web crawling robots and search algorithms rarely look at titles. I'd guess my copy/paste "Any replacement for the Plato HouseLink or SmartLink" show up in the search results as quickly/easily as from anywhere else. I think you're covered. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

racerfern

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 06:24:18 PM »

I search by specifying the forum on the Google home page, for example:

site:forums.x10.com plato
or for giggles
site:forums.x10.com artificial intelligence

It is restricted to that forum but might help you find useful info in a specific forum or website.

Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.