Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: What is the definition of AI here?  (Read 10020 times)

James G

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
What is the definition of AI here?
« on: March 10, 2019, 04:50:25 AM »

I bought an Alexa echo dot around the holidays. I was amazed at how good the sound quality was for voice. So far I just use it for reminders, notification of which Ring camera has detected motion or a doorbell press, and notification of Amazon deliveries. I was going to hook my Calendar up to it but it wanted permission to delete my Calendar. No thanks. I plan on adding voice control with brobin's help (above). What else is it useful for?

What is the definition of AI here? Whatever it is, it does not approach the standard one. This is all simple programming.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:03:26 AM by James G »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: What is the definition of AI here?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 08:07:15 AM »

What is the definition of AI here? Whatever it is, it does not approach the standard one. This is all simple programming.
There is no universal answer to that here! Ask 10 different users here that question and you'll get probably 8-10 different answers.
Some believe AI is a Voice assistant like Alexa!  Voice assistants are at the far low end of true AI as far as I'm concerned.
As of right now your right Alexa or any Voice Assistant in Home Automation is simple programing. However they are getting smarter and I believe they will be more inline with the standard definition some day.
Alexa Hunches is one step in the process, although I do have it enabled I've yet to see it in action.
As to what else a voice assistant like Alexa can do, that list keeps growing everyday.
Think of a Voice assitant as a child they must be taught. Many things can be done by voice like learning your name or finding your HA devices.
Use your imagination if you want the Alexa to do something and it currently isn't possible Amazon is always looking for suggestions.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 02:12:33 PM »

….. However they are getting smarter and I believe they will be more inline with the standard definition some day.

Definitions.... are like laws in many ways..... they do NOT cross national borders. But recognizing's human speech and reacting... is by all definitions I am aware of... AI.   
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 02:16:01 PM »

I bought an Alexa echo......….I was going to hook my Calendar up to it but it wanted permission......

My laptop, iPhone, and Alexa all use the same calendar. What an Awesome way to record data, appointments, and such. It's all there, all accessible, from anywhere, anytime. That IS true automation.... at it's best.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 02:32:32 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 02:30:52 PM »

….. Use your imagination if you want the Alexa to do something and it currently isn't possible Amazon is always looking for suggestions.

Or.... do it the other-way-around. Explore the technologies abilities... and then find uses you can exploit in your own life.

An example: Leonardo Da Vinci actually created the idea for the 1st Parachute. However... the invention didn't become popular until after men learned to fly planes. Then people got the idea to exploit the old Parachute idea.

The AI tech is here now. This really is the golden age of Home Automation. But peoples paradigms... are stuck in an era decades past. We have to ACTIVITY LOOK for ways to exploit this new tech.... it ain't going to come to us, you know. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 02:37:35 PM »

Definitions.... are like laws in many ways..... they do NOT cross national borders. But recognizing's human speech and reacting... is by all definitions I am aware of... AI.   
I guess the first ever software I created (AlertDialer) was by your definition AI. ::) :'
Voice recognition is just a small part of the definition no mater where you are in the world Dave.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 08:02:34 PM »

If Alexa is AI then it's not a very smart one. Now if Alexa knew enough to ignore a TV ad for Alexa by knowing that the ad is running and/or knowing and ignoring the voice in the ad I'd be more impressed. I really like what I can do with it but it's still just following a preset set of instructions rather than using "intelligence" to make any independent decisions - but whatta ya expect for 30 bucks! rofl

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 08:09:29 PM »

If Alexa is AI then it's not a very smart one.
Uh-oh, here we go.  :'
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 09:37:09 PM »

If Alexa is AI then it's not a very smart one...... it's still just following a preset set of instructions rather than using "intelligence" to make any independent decisions....

Few "real people" (the ones with the actual real intelligence... that the artificial kind replicates) ever really invent, create, or develop ANYTHING of real value or uniqueness. Most people just sort'a patriot-back what they were taught. Hearing, understanding, and replying (and/or complying) is pretty much "typical intelligence". My Alexa's does a pretty good job of being artificial.

There was even a time.... when [reproducing and then] recognizing a voice... was a big enough of a deal for an International Corp to have based it's logo on it. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:40:41 AM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 09:53:51 PM »

Voice recognition is just a small part of the definition no mater where you are in the world Dave.

It is a whole part! Just not a complete definition. I have an old friend that doesn't hear or speak a work.... but she's completely intelligent.

[When I was] In grade school the bulk of contemporary science saw the use of tools as the defining factor of (human) intelligence. Of course... then several animals were found to also use tools.... and the goal posts got moved. In real science... the goal posts are always getting moved. Remember when Pluto was a planet?

I get the feeling I get WAY more use from my Amazon AI devices than most posters here.... at this particular forum. But of the millions of households using AI... I am confident I am not AI's biggest user. I am just an old Home Automation guy.... who is isn't afraid of change.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:39:47 AM by HA Dave »

James G

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 04:45:40 AM »

I get the feeling I get WAY more use from my Amazon AI devices than most posters here.... at this particular forum.

Dave, what all do you use Alexa for? I am looking for ideas.

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 10:32:10 AM »

….. Dave, what all do you use Alexa for? I am looking for ideas.

I already have posted to a thread when you asked that before. And... when you PM'ed me.... I replied with a nice long PM about the same.

The thing is.... Alexa is a digital assistance. AI, and Home Automation at the current highest level.. If you're an old PalmPad-button-pusher... like almost everyone of us here is (myself included)…. yeah Alexa can push the buttons for you by voice command too. And if "lighting control" is what you think "home Automation" is... if that is as far as you can imagine HA to be... then Alexa is a voice controlled button pusher. PERIOD.

For many... actually most here. That's it. That's as far as they can comprehend.... and they can't see any reason to use the Internet to push a PalmPad button.

Since you've already posted that you own a Echo device.... then you should already know that There are Now More Than 70,000 Alexa Skills . And I'll bet that nearly 100 have to do with turning lights on and off. But that also means.... there are THOUSANDS of other Home Automation uses that maybe you haven't explored.

If Home Automation was still nothing more than remote lighting control... like it was 25 years ago... I STILL could NOT tell you how to automate your home. One.... because I don't know you. And I know of no way to guess your ambitions and/or desires for Automation. Here at the forum... we usually only offer suggestions about settings and trouble shootings.

The same thing applies to Alexa and Google devices. "IF" you or anyone else would like to upgrade and modernize their Home Automation with the latest greatest AI technology.... YOU have to do the work. YOU have to sort/shop through thousands of the various apps... read the descriptions and user reviews, install, test, and maybe even take notes and schedule time to USE the new skills... to see if they add value to your life. Yeah... maybe it's a bit like work.

It might be a lot easier to just find a "tin-foil-hat warnings" about how scary todays modern cloud can be. Or reminisce about pushing remote control buttons to have lights come on or go off (the GOOD OLE DAYS). Many here (at the forums) has found those technics to be very effective ways to avoid progress. It doesn't matter.

The deal is.... Alexa is now.... THE primary human interface to all Home Automation Systems. Just like the modern computer-based-communications systems have effectively replaced fax machines, letter writing, errand boys, and wired telephones (and soup cans connected by strings). However.... there are still old guys like myself... who still send cards and call friends and loved ones (from my easy chair). I think the human emotional connections are important. But.... my automation devices aren't human. And I don't assign them make believe feeling.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:58:59 AM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 11:00:44 AM »

James G, despite what Dave's post may imply there are many of us on this forum that use Alexa, Google, Cortana and or other Voice assistants and are comfortable with using them for Home Automation as well as other things.
If you realy wish to learn more about Alexa and any new advancements (skills) that may pop up I suggest you join The un-offical Amazon Echo User forums
They do touch on the other Voice assistants but the Alexa devices get the most posts. Users there are also are very helpful at trouble shooting should you have a issue.
Maybe I 'll see you there!
 >!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:31:29 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 11:30:52 AM »

Alexa et al are basically just voice control via a speaker that Amazon et al wired to their search engines.  They don't really have all that much smarts at this point and the same can mostly be done with a phone or tablet (I know Android can and assume iPhone as well).  The difference between the iOS/Android solution and the smart speakers is really just when it listens and how it responds.  The speakers don't have a button that people use to activate the recognition and so they almost feel like an AI assistant.  You can set your phone to do the same thing (Google Assistant is basically identical).  I wouldn't consider my phone running Google Assistant to be AI but some people think that doing the same thing with a small speaker plugged into the wall is.   :'

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 12:49:17 PM »

Early Sunday morning heavy winds took out a cable pole down the road from our sub division. Fortunately it was not a power pole. Unfortunately cable TV, internet, and perhaps phone is now down for 50 to 60 homes. And because not being a power pole, the cable company does not know when they can get a contractor to set a new pole. Pity all the Alexa, Google, homes with cloud switches.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.