Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: What is the definition of AI here?  (Read 10029 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: What is the definition of AI here?
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2019, 02:24:07 PM »

IMO (and apparently the world outside of HA Dave), if it's simply searching a database and responding based on simple rules, that is not AI.

I agree with you that simply searching a database and echoing what was found in a pleasing voice is not AI.  But using that information to answer a question not directly addressed in the database could be.

Jeff
Absolutely!  I'm just saying that if a database exists and you ask a question that pulls data from it, that's nothing more than a query.  If you ask a question of a system and it determines both what is important to check and gives you more than a basic answer directly asked, that could be AI.

IOW, "When do I need to leave for the airport" could give me a time based on a standard driving time table lookup (not AI).  Or, it could factor in current traffic conditions ("AI" by some definitions but not really).  Or, it could check to see what's going to be happening within the next hour and find out that a dignitary is flying in and the freeway will be shut down so it reroutes and determines an appropriate time.  The latter could definitely be considered AI but it all depends on how it's coded.  If it's coded to check all of that stuff explicitly, then not AI.  But if it's coded to learn new things to check based on past experience, that's learning and thus AI.

This is not as complicated a topic as it has been made.  Marketing aside, if the machine can actually learn, then it has AI.  If it is explicitly programmed to test certain conditions, that's programming rather than AI.  Learning is the key.

bkenobi

• PI Expert

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2019, 11:25:42 AM »

…. IMO (and apparently the world outside of HA Dave), if it's simply searching a database and responding based on simple rules, that is not AI. …..

Apparently... according to many here.... REAL intelligence is simply adding in childish insults to any response about standard definitions. Maybe... you're some sort of grammar master.... that works at/for Webster. Or maybe you do tech research for Microsoft and actually have credentials that back up your opinion.

Or maybe.... you just have "opinions" about AI, fake Moon landings, Alien adductions, childhood vaccinations, ..... and other such things.  ONCE AGAIN.... blaming technical progress like AI.... that scares you is NOT my fault. IA is here despite the people with tin foil hats. I chose to error (if that is what I am doing) on the side of real science, and actual known experts in the technology fields... instead of Internet opinions.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:52:38 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2019, 11:36:16 AM »

IMO (and apparently the world outside of HA Dave), if it's simply searching a database and responding based on simple rules, that is not AI.

I agree with you that simply searching a database and echoing what was found in a pleasing voice is not AI.  But using that information to answer a question not directly addressed in the database could be.
Jeff

I just wonder? Is echoing an insult Real Intelligence or is AI? Or maybe..... the lack or either?

Maybe.... you should realize that reading back a search query... is NOT (always) what Alexa/Google really does. These AI devices run on learning software that resides on cloud servers. Invisible to you... sure. But then.... parroting back insults... is just a bunch easier (besides being EXACTLY what you're accusing AI of doing). I'd guess.... that the experts would likely think mechanically repeating insults are much farther down the "intelligence scale" than cross-platform cloud searches. 

You can do much better Jeff.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:42:44 AM by HA Dave »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2019, 05:43:37 PM »

You can do much better Jeff.

Yup.  Bye...
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2019, 09:06:33 PM »

You guys behave so poorly when frightened.

James G

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2019, 12:36:23 AM »

I have not seen anything yet that I would consider AI. It is all just programming. They are necessary building blocks that will eventually lead to "Artificial general intelligence".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_general_intelligence

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2019, 06:02:35 PM »

Huh, not sure where I said anything offensive. But, maybe I struck a nerve that damaged perceptions and egos? Amazon, Google, etc may be using the cloud to provide services and there may be elements of AI in it, but the features that have been touted as examples of AI here don't mesh with the definition. I would agree that the advertising engine is most certainly AI if that helps anyone'seen hurt feelings.

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2019, 08:14:02 PM »

I agree with most everyone above. Nothing in Alexa, Google or anyone else shows real AI. It's all trying and it purports to figure things out, but when you think about it, 99.9% is lightning fast table lookup.

The other .1% is lost. At this point in computers, computers can't think. I'm not scared of AI, I look forward to successful demonstrations and implementations of it.

The other day, in an attempt to give AI the benefit of the doubt I simply told Google to open the garage door. The a few minutes later with the door open, I told it to open it again. Google said OK. A few minutes after that, I closed the garage door by using the button supplied with the door opener and my system went bonkers. I got text messages saying the door was open when it was closed, etc. What a mess. Then I had to remind myself, it's ARTIFICIAL intelligence, not real intelligence, I shouldn't have expected more.

If I employed the above scenario without Google, my Homeseer events would handle things just fine. Meanwhile, there are thousands of scientists out there working on AI and I wish them all the best. Bring your best example to the forefront and make our lives that much better for it.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.