Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Re: Pi DST is coming....  (Read 2323 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Pi DST is coming....
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 12:01:09 PM »

LostDog88 I don't believe you've made anyone mad.
Suggestions were offered to hopefully fix the need for a reboot everyday.

I also believe periodic reboots are required. I also had to set a cron job to reboot my pi 3b+ when I initially set it up. This was due to the fact it was a new board and the OS for it was just released. A
Code: [Select]
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade from the terminal fixed that. So if you've not performed a update/upgrade yet I highly recommend it as the OS gets update regularly. However do it while you can watch the output as it will require some input from you.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 03:23:37 PM »

My comment was not intended as an attack, but that appears to be the way it was taken.  I was trying to point out that if a server/hub (meaning it should be un-managed and continue functioning over a long period of time) requires regular rebooting due to a problem with the way it's put together (hardware, software, drivers, etc), then the solution for the developer is to fix the problem.  Writing a script to reboot is somewhat akin to putting electrical tape over the CEL on your car's dash so you don't see that the car has a problem.  Ignoring it may be ok for a short time, but eventually it will likely lead to other issues.

The reason tech support tells users to reboot is that they know 90% of the time they won't be able to fix the real problem, so they ask for the customer to clear the error making it "fixed".  I was first line phone support for my campus network in the 90's when people who didn't know anything about computers were just showing up to school and that was in the guide for how to help.  The next question was "is the network cable plugged in?"

If you just want it to work for a few hours at a time between reboots, nightly reboots will suffice.  But, I've had an RPi running for months without issue (2 actually).  The only reason for reboots was power issues or tinkering with configs/installing software/etc.

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 04:59:58 PM »

This isn't a need to reboot every day.

It is random. Sometimes it works for weeks. Maybe a few days. I didn't realize that changing things on the Pi might be the reason it needed rebooting. But then again sometimes I wake up in the morning and it just don't work. Everything says it is running but there is no web page to visit. The dreaded 404 error.
To alleviate any issues while I am not here or out of country. I just tell it to reboot. At night. Not because it needs to be rebooted. Just to remove any issues. Including any I created.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.