Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 🛠HG Tools  (Read 6408 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: 🛠HG Tools
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 10:12:50 AM »

So on the week end I decided to load my mini PC (Assus Eeebox) with Linux and HG to free up a RPi for another possible project.
This mini PC was incredibly slow running Windows (even XP) Linux does run much better but where it realy shines is running HG this is incredibly fast.
I liked these tools especially the Status display but wondered if all would work with a i386 Linux OS. The good news is yes though the Status info program needs some tweaking (editing) as the command to get the CPU temperature wasn't recognized.
Also lm-sensors needs to be installed then configured. While doing this I also noticed installing hddtemp would allow the hard drive temperature to be displayed with a bit of extra code added to the program.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/15832/how-do-i-get-the-cpu-temperature
 >!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:28:03 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 07:09:54 AM »

I use (look at) the status info program all the time usualy to keep an eye on cpu temperature. The other day I though it would be nice to have this also display the current build so I added this. True this isn't  needed, however I have 3 machines running HG and each is on a different build so it is an extra reminder of what machine I'm looking at.
Many Linux users frown on this program as it means you don't have to enter into the command line saying it stops newbies from learning Linux and I'm  spoon feeding users. ??? ::) Most the info displayed requires a command entered to retrieve the info and what is displayed is not all the info you get from the command. I only display what I thought was relevant for me.
 As well my memory isn't what it was so this saves me time having to look up commands.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 07:15:08 AM »

I use this too, it's a nice easy summary of the state of the machine.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 11:23:54 AM »

HG build info is also available by selecting the about item from the main menu.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 01:02:07 PM »

Yes the old HG forum is a great source for all those resources. One of the old forum members mentioned to me recently that he was considering establishing a new HG forum in a similar format to the old one and using the old posts as the backbone for it. It would certainly provide a perception of continuity as most if not all of the typical HG queries have been addressed there and it could possibly encourage some of the old forum members back. The format of the new forum was not to everyone’s liking.

It sounds like a good idea assuming there’s no copyright issues etc to consider.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 01:17:36 PM »

HG build info is also available by selecting the about item from the main menu.
What I added doesn't show the HG build but the Pi OS build(Stretch, Buster, Bullseye…), sorry for the confusion.
Yes the old HG forum is a great source for all those resources. One of the old forum members mentioned to me recently that he was considering establishing a new HG forum in a similar format to the old one and using the old posts as the backbone for it. It would certainly provide a perception of continuity as most if not all of the typical HG queries have been addressed there and it could possibly encourage some of the old forum members back. The format of the new forum was not to everyone's liking.

It sounds like a good idea assuming there's no copyright issues etc to consider.
I believe to old forum used the same software as this forum (SMF). Moving to something new is never to every ones liking. I do agree having the old posts on the same new forum would make things much easier, though I'm not sure it would encourage many old users back. As you've stated many times, many have moved on.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 01:21:31 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 02:06:11 PM »

Here's the three  different machines status displays
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 02:20:34 PM »

Looking over my Status screen captures I see I forgot to expand my Buster file system B:(  B:(  B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 02:49:15 PM »

Well the good news is an old forum member is currently working on a dockerized version of HG. I was able to point him in the right direction but just didn't have the time to help him on this occasion.

This has been done by Alex in the past but this version will reflect the current HG version and the docker image should load on any platform including good old Windoze. The beauty of the docker image is that it doesn't need to concern itself about operating systems so technically you can have an infinite amount of HG instances running on the same board. Also it runs a lot faster and efficiently and a lot less prone to those freeze ups.

Now this will be something to look forward to

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 03:26:51 PM »

Well the good news is an old forum member is currently working on a dockerized version of HG. I was able to point him in the right direction but just didn't have the time to help him on this occasion.

This has been done by Alex in the past but this version will reflect the current HG version and the docker image should load on any platform including good old Windoze. The beauty of the docker image is that it doesn't need to concern itself about operating systems so technically you can have an infinite amount of HG instances running on the same board. Also it runs a lot faster and efficiently and a lot less prone to those freeze ups.

Now this will be something to look forward to

That does sound promising. :)%
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:23:16 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 04:19:17 PM »

Indeed. Few if any produce image files now unless they are capable of being packaged for Docker. Life is so easy as a result. I'm running Hass.io in a docker container and none of those nasties with system crashes and runtime errors. You'll find HG docker images from various GitHub maintainers that you are free to use. Many of them don't exceed v1.1 r525, the last time Gene packed in development. I wonder why. Self explanatory I suppose  :)%

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 06:12:31 PM »

Just installed all your "tools" this morning Mr. T. Fabulous work. Thanks for those. Not sure I would use all of them, but I loaded them all anyways. As time goes on I will disable the ones I have no interest in and learn the ones I am interested in.

Again. Thanks. Really, stuff like that is a major help!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 06:19:26 PM »

Most of the tools were created just while learning how to run some CLI commands I rarely use any of them myself other then the info display. I grouped the tools all together as most were just simple programs.
Glad you found a use for some. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2023, 04:16:25 PM »

Here's a scree grab of the widgets in the new UI
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 05:11:02 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.