📱X10 WIFI > 🗯General Discussion

New WM100 concern

(1/3) > >>

Marauder2003:
Got my WM100 working late last year. Did not understand how it worked remotely without me opening ports on my router.

Now I understand. It must use HTTP over port 80 talking to a 3rd party server somewhere. If that server dies so does my remote control.

Then I read this:
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/04/p2p-weakness-exposes-millions-of-iot-devices/

Granted, it is not a camera but who knows what nefarious things can be done through the device.

brobin:
Based on the map in the article, it looks like the best defense would be to move to Greenland or Chad.  rofl

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Marauder2003 on April 26, 2019, 11:05:04 AM ---....... who knows what nefarious things can be done through the device.

--- End quote ---

This is a forum of users helping users... so enlighten us. What nefarious things would you suppose could be accomplished using this device or other similar network devices?

dave w:
IoT is the hackers new field of challenge. I seriously doubt they would or could do much to the WM100. However accidently turning on a space heater or coffee maker could be disastrous.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dave w on April 29, 2019, 09:23:16 PM ---IoT is the hackers new field of challenge. I seriously doubt they would or could do much to the WM100.

--- End quote ---

I also seriously doubt anything could be accomplished by a hacker using this tech.

--- Quote from: dave w on April 29, 2019, 09:23:16 PM ---However accidently turning on a space heater or coffee maker could be disastrous.

--- End quote ---

There IS "that ONE Mr Coffee model" that has an On/Off switch..... which can be used with X10 for automation. But I think coffee makers were the very first "smart appliances" (and require no external automation devices). It has to be a very few people still using cheap coffee makers and appliance modules. And... I myself can't even imagine anyone using X10 on a space heater. But then again.... there isn't any warning labels on the X10 modules.

I really don't think there are many northern African/Israeli/Chinese/Eastern Europe, based hackers (where most hackers live and work) who have a desire to burn down American homes. It would be like finding a needle in a hat stack... even if there was certain Americans they wished to harm.

This is really more like worms (or Zebra) in hamburger meat. It defies adult reasoning and sober logic. 

For the average X10 user.... they could most likely improve their personal safety by walking quickly in the mall parking lot (reducing odds of robbery) or getting their blood pressure and cholesterol checked (reducing heat attack risks). Or.... if we just want silly things to worry about..... there is always Zombies, robot revolutions, and falling space debris.

Of course..... the odds of the WM100 server (or this forum) dropping off-line..... is a whole other story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version