Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Roku and Alexa  (Read 1422 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Roku and Alexa
« on: April 17, 2019, 01:09:59 AM »

I have 3 Roku devices (one older Roku... and two newer ones). And recently I purchased a Roku smart TV. Well since Roku has an app that plays the cable company's shows.... I was able to return the cable box. So actually Spectrum bought the Roku TV (It'll take about 4 years to get my money back). 

But never anywhere on any packaging or in any ads have I read that Roku is supported with an Alexa skill. But all the newer Roku devices work with Alexa (even the TV's). The set-up is quick and painless.

I was running a Broadlink IR device to control my living room (Roku smart TV). But now.... I can move the IR Broadlink device elsewhere. Thinking.... roomba control.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Roku and Alexa
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 06:20:49 AM »

More and more devices are adding Alexa & or Google home inside. The nice thing about the Broadlink ir/rf senders is they help bring many older devices into the 21 century. I actually use my Broadlink to control more RF devices then IR.  ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 09:25:14 PM »

..... the Broadlink ir/rf senders is they help bring many older devices into the 21 century. I actually use my Broadlink to control more RF devices then IR.

Yeah.... I am re-purposing my broadlink. Currently it's controlling the old TV (that I hung in my man cave). And I am having thoughts... about what all it can do... and what might make it be it's most useful to me. I do like the idea of setting up a schedule for the Roomba (save me all the hassle and effort of pushing a button).

But being able to put a [smart] TV as an activity in a group is awesome. I don't think a "steaming device" would be a big game-changer... but smart TV control (via the wifi network) is.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 03:17:18 PM »

In setting up a what Amazon, Alexa calls them routine's.... (X10 uses the term macro) that included my Roku TV I noticed (during testing) that the TV On/Off functioned like a toggle. On... on a TV already On... did nothing. Like-wise Off only turned the TV Off (never On).

This is a game changer with automation and TV's.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 07:41:03 PM »

Many brands of TV's and other AV components have had discrete on/off codes for many years - if you could find them!

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 11:39:15 AM »

Many brands of TV's and other AV components have had discrete on/off codes for many years - if you could find them!

I'd heard that. I was never able to get the shortcuts to work.... myself. And I've played around with remotes and IR A LOT.

When I built the Home Theater.... I quickly realized my wife couldn't use it (just too complex). So that is when I got a Harmony-Logitech remote... and used the PowerMid IR remote devices along with X10's IR to PLC (IR543) plus a CM15A..... and could run everything by simply pushing the "watch a movie" button.

But.... switching to streaming and using Roku devices... saves me the clutter and cost of the cable and cable boxes. And the simple little Roku remote can be intuitively operated by guests or even the tiny grand-kids.

Of course..... consumer electronics have become short-lived gadgets in today's modern-tech world. I am already planning the OLED roll-out full-wall TV screen. I am not sure where I'll put it.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 11:54:56 AM »

I am already planning the OLED roll-out full-wall TV screen. I am not sure where I'll put it.
I can't wait for these either. https://www.cnet.com/news/lg-display-crazy-65-inch-oled-tv-can-roll-up-like-a-poster-ces-2018/
Just hope I don't have to replace my current flat screen till after these roll to market! ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 12:07:42 PM »

I can't wait for these either. https://www.cnet.com/news/lg-display-crazy-65-inch-oled-tv-can-roll-up-like-a-poster-ces-2018/
Just hope I don't have to replace my current flat screen till after these roll to market! ::) :'

My wife and I keep milk in the frig. But it is hard to always consume it all before it sours. As much as I hate waste.... it can be part of life.

I recycled my old living room TV to my man-cave (also wall mounted it). It also uses the "left-over" Apple TV device. Upgrading the Home Theater creates tech-waste as well. It is a bummer to see once-great (and costly) devices turn to trash.... so quickly.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.