📱X10 WIFI > 🗯General Discussion

WM100 Will not turn on lamp module but TM751 Remote Transceiver will

(1/3) > >>

normd:
I have both my WM100 and a TM751 Remote Transceiver plugged into an UPS so that the WM100 will retain its program if the power fails. So far the strategy works.  However, after moving some circuits around in my main panel, the WM100 will not turn on my porch light push button switch module at all but the TM751 has no problem. Suggestions?

Noam:
If it was working before you moved those circuits around, then it is likely an issue of signal strength and/or interference. I know there were some discussions of the signal strength of the different transmitters. If the TM751 is putting out a stronger signal than the WM100, then it could be right in that "sweet spot" where the signal from the TM751 makes it, while the one from the WM100 doesn't.

Can you move the WM100 closer (electrically, not necessarily physically) to the light switch, and test it that way? If you can put it on the same circuit, that would be be the best test. If you can't, then a circuit on the same phase (usually alternating rows in a standard breaker box), and as close to the breaker box as possible.

normd:
Thanks for the input. It would have been nice if a "modern" device could perform as well as a legacy device. So much for that. It turns out that I had moved the porch circuit to a different leg of the panel. I swapped breakers so the porch and the WM100 are on the same leg and things are working again. I know I could have put in a bridge between legs, but the panel is already very crowded and I have a simple set-up so all is good.

brobin:
An "out-of-panel" coupling solution would be a Smarthome 4826A (4 wire) or 4826B (3 wire). It plugs into your electric dryer outlet if you have one. You can still find them on ebay.  Of course, the gold standard for any X10 installation is the XTB-IIR from jvde.us.  At the opposite end of the spectrum, you could just put a powerline coupling rated 0.1uF, 630v polyester capacitor across the legs in the panel connected to an existing dual breaker.  Jeff has a detailed article on couplers here: http://jvde.us/x10/x10_couplers.pdf

Brian H:
Most UPS units have power line conditioning.
They can absorb X10 signals.
Since it is on the output of the UPS. I would also check it is OK when on battery. Many UPS units have a modified or stepped AC wave. That some modules power supplies will not like. I fried a TM751 on an UPS output due to its output waveform.

The 4826A/B Dryer coupler-repeater modules are discontinued but you may find them on a auction site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version