🔌General Home Automation > Troubleshooting Automation Problems

My dishwasher turns on a floodlight

(1/6) > >>

ceedee:
It took me several months of testing, swapping, and pondering, but I'm now convinced that my dishwasher turns on my rear spotlight, which has been controlled by a WS467.  It happens somewhere from 0-20 minutes into the cycle...trying to narrow that down (doesn't really matter, though). Never had an issue with prior dishwashers.  No other modules appear to be affected.

- i've swapped bulbs
- i've swapped wall switches several times (now trying an old-style paddle switch)
- dishwasher is on its own circuit
- i've tried several house and unit codes
- i've put other modules on the same codes, and they're not affected - this bugs me!

I know that's it's probably noise, and that the only solution is to add a filter to the dishwasher circuit.  That's a bit problematic, and it doesn't bother me enough to spend the time and $$ to try to fix the issue.

Two questions, if I may:
- could the "innards" of the older-style paddle switch be different enough, and the problem may go away?
- am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Chris

Brian H:
If the older one was made before Soft Start and Preset Dim {Sometime in 2007} was added. They would have different electronics compared to the presently sold ones.
I can't say if the presently sold ones are susceptible to a certain noise on the power lines.

The wall switch and dishwasher. Are they on the same branch circuit?

bkenobi:
The dishwasher only turns on that one light and you have others in your HA setup, correct?  Is it possible the dishwasher and that light are on the same circuit and it's just that proximity is causing the problem here and not other modules?  A filter is likely the only solution other than changing that module to a different type (including another technology potentially).  If you use AHP as your HA software then a different tech would be an unpopular choice I'm sure.

brobin:
Do you have an X10 filter you're using elsewhere that you could test with?
The dishwasher, if not hardwired, is usually plugged in under the sink.
Does time of day make any difference?

ceedee:
All,
Thanks for your input and comments.

Light and dishwasher on different circuits, same phase.

I do have a filter, but the DW is hard-wired.

As for TOD, we usually set the cycle delay for a few hours, then head to bed.  Today, we ran it in the morning so we could watch the light.  So, time of day does not seem to matter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version