Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Where to investigate new case of HG not opening in browsers?  (Read 5622 times)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14

Sometime in the last month my pi HG refuses to open in web browsers most of the time.  I can try switching between my 12 groups and occassionally one or two will open, but most of the time none do anymore.  Same on both browsers tried.

Any suggestions were to begin digging in?

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Where to investigate new case of HG not opening in browsers?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 05:20:57 PM »

Might be best if you post the problem with logs on the authors GitHub (don't hold your breath for a reply anytime soon  rofl ) or you could do the same on the homegenie.club forum where you'll probably have a better chance of resolving your issue. Incidentally have you done a Raspbian update recently. Raspbian Buster is due for release shortly and that should be fun  >!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 11:57:05 AM »

I think it may be a cache related issue, but when my system does that, I log onto the HG RPi via SSH and reboot.

mike

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 12:37:22 PM »

Have rebooted many times.  Tried all addresses in browser (127.0.0.1, rasbpi, 292.168...:8080.  All 3 browsers...  hg is working fine, just cannot see groups. Can get to settings pages.   Just updated to latest hg.  No change.  Tried changing local host line in hosts file.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 01:50:03 PM »

Have rebooted many times.  Tried all addresses in browser (127.0.0.1, rasbpi, 292.168...:8080.  All 3 browsers...  hg is working fine, just cannot see groups. Can get to settings pages.   Just updated to latest hg.  No change.  Tried changing local host line in hosts file.

Mike you know logs are king when troubleshooting. Its a complete crap shoot without them

Launch HG manually from the terminal and watch what is happening as you work way through the browser. You'll probably resolve the matter yourself but if not post a log extract to whatever platform you choose for others to help.

mike

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 03:37:38 PM »

I see nothing glaring...

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 05:09:40 PM »

I see nothing glaring...

Are you calling an external service on your system. Do you have some form of bridge configured working with HG.

I did suggest posting an extract of your logs ie the ones that relate to the moments when HG starts acting up and not the whole log. Just watch the terminal and when you notice HG playing up copy/paste the relevant log transactions.

I've no idea what version of Mono you are using or what browser you use HG with. Are there particular groups that are causing these issues. When was the last time you updated Raspbian. Are your security certs valid.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 05:20:56 AM »

You've a lot of call traffic to the server. It looks like you have programs running there which you may not even be using. The Energy Monitor springs to mind. I imagine you still have most if not all the default programs that come with HG running. Disable the programs you don't use as a starting point.

Maybe if you post a screen cap of your Groups expanded so it can be seen what programs you have and which ones are active.

mike

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 06:39:31 PM »

I had deleted all the un ued HG programs, including energy monitor...   then redid my SD card from scratch some months ago and did not delete all those things.  I did turn off all the programs I am no using.  I still have HAbidge running on same rpi card:  until Gene comes back with opening up more bits send via rf, I am stuck using HAbidge to arm/disarm my security system.  Nothing else running. 

I need to update/upgrade pi - it has been months.  I have my cheat sheet with the commands somewhere around here to do it.

I have same no show performance on groups on ALL browsers.

You asked about sending logs:  I sent the only one I know of.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »

IMO, I would not hold my breath for an update from Gene.  My experience has been that HG gets a bunch of updates clustered together when he has time/motivation to make some changes and then there is a long hiatus where nothing happens.  That used to be a week or a month when HG was being developed heavily.  In the last couple years, there were almost zero updates before Gene returned for the current round (last 6 months or so).

TBF, it's a free/open source product that Gene has never made any significant income on so it really shouldn't be his primary focus.  I think it's a great software for what it can do.  And in some ways (X10 RF) it is far superior to pretty much all other HA software.  It's a shame that his X10 interface can't be opened up to be used as an improvement for other tools but since it's based on .NET (Mono) it's not an option.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 04:10:22 PM »

It's important that when using programs outside of the standard HG package they are compiled properly and tested in the environment they are being used in before they go live. Just because something I design works for me it doesnt mean it will work for everyone else.

There are so many variations in hardware that can be used when running HG.You only have to look at the vast range of Raspberry Pi boards available and all the subtle differences between them and how they impact on the performance of HG. And that's only the start of the hardware range.

Then there's the different distributions of Raspbian, Wheezy (which should be retired by now but still in use by some) Jessie which has reached end of life and Stretch which will be shortly replaced by Buster.

Then there's the versions of Mono to consider that run on the above. We know well how this affects the likes of running an email notification when considering valid SSL certs. This problem has been highlighted both here and on other forums.

I could go on all day highlighting possible causes of instability with HG. That's why when reporting an issue with the software you should include the hardware its running on, the version of OS it's installed on and the version of Mono being used along with the relevant logs that reflect the issue as and when it's happening.

I highly recommend using the Raspberry Pi 3+ with the latest version of Raspbian fully updated and optionally a version of Mono that has proven to work satisfactorily with HG unless you only intend to run a basic X10 setup which in that case a Raspberry Pi Zero would do. Few choose to do this.

Again installing HG from official sources will help avoid installing any possible instabilities into your system. You can always import any external hgx files once they are proven to work on your setup along with any other configs that users contribute from time to time.

The above in my opinion is the best way to learn about HG and what it has to offer. It one of the easier software to install and configure albeit with the irregular and sporadic maintenance it receives from it maintainer as mentioned by @bkenobi . It's definitely ideal to get you started in the home automation world and an ideal primer for other open source home automation software.

mike

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 09:50:28 AM »

Then there's the different distributions of Raspbian, Wheezy (which should be retired by now but still in use by some) Jessie which has reached end of life and Stretch which will be shortly replaced by Buster.

What about updating stretch to Raspbian Pixel?   

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/update-your-raspberry-pi-to-raspbian-pixel-for-fancy-new-features/

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 10:47:14 AM »

I don't use a GUI with my RPi.  I'm strictly shell and happy with it for my HA needs.

mike

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 10:55:52 AM »

me too;  why I thought the pixel updates wouldn't do anything for me.

mike

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 11:19:23 AM »

BTW,

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

gave a pretty scary message and made me enter q to continue:

wpasupplicant (2:2.6-19) unstable; urgency=medium

With this release, wpasupplicant no longer respects the system
  default minimum TLS version, defaulting to TLSv1.0, not TLSv1.2. If
  you're sure you will never connect to EAP networks requiring anything less
  than 1.2, add this to your wpasupplicant configuration:

tls_disable_tlsv1_0=1
    tls_disable_tlsv1_1=1

wpasupplicant also defaults to a security level 1, instead of the system
  default 2. Should you need to change that, change this setting in your
  wpasupplicant configuration:

openssl_ciphers=DEFAULT@SECLEVEL=2

Unlike wpasupplicant, hostapd still respects system defaults.

-- Andrej Shadura <andrewsh@debian.org>  Sat, 15 Dec 2018 14:22:18 +0100
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.