Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Where to investigate new case of HG not opening in browsers?  (Read 5621 times)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Re: Where to investigate new case of HG not opening in browsers?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 11:48:31 AM »

So I found a sequence to make the groups show up (all but top one - dashboard):

1) config->group>pick one (NOT dashboard).  While it is showing,
2) click on home>pick a group (other than dashboard) and it pops up.  then all the others do also (except dashboard).

Appears what broke is in the dashboard section...  I will try to copy old dashboard section from a backup into present HG file groups.xml.   

no  luck yet

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 12:50:04 PM »

BTW,

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

gave a pretty scary message and made me enter q to continue:

wpasupplicant (2:2.6-19) unstable; urgency=medium

With this release, wpasupplicant no longer respects the system
  default minimum TLS version, defaulting to TLSv1.0, not TLSv1.2. If
  you're sure you will never connect to EAP networks requiring anything less
  than 1.2, add this to your wpasupplicant configuration:

tls_disable_tlsv1_0=1
    tls_disable_tlsv1_1=1

wpasupplicant also defaults to a security level 1, instead of the system
  default 2. Should you need to change that, change this setting in your
  wpasupplicant configuration:

openssl_ciphers=DEFAULT@SECLEVEL=2

Unlike wpasupplicant, hostapd still respects system defaults.

-- Andrej Shadura <andrewsh@debian.org>  Sat, 15 Dec 2018 14:22:18 +0100

I'd say that message would have most users running for the q key as well  rofl. It's not that scary really.

You can now see the logic with staying updated regularly. Update snipers lying in wait for those who have their eye off the game.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 12:59:47 PM »

So I found a sequence to make the groups show up (all but top one - dashboard):

1) config->group>pick one (NOT dashboard).  While it is showing,
2) click on home>pick a group (other than dashboard) and it pops up.  then all the others do also (except dashboard).

Appears what broke is in the dashboard section...  I will try to copy old dashboard section from a backup into present HG file groups.xml.   

no  luck yet

Have you anything "non standard HG issue" added to your Dashboard. Maybe a screen cap of your Dashboard might help here. Also you might want to indicate the following

1. Raspberry Pi Model in use
2. Version of Raspbian
3. Version of Mono
4. Source from where HG was installed
5. What additional hardware attached to the Pi
6. Router model to which the Pi is attached to. Is it connected wired or wireless, is it behind a firewall or VPN

mike

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 10:47:48 AM »

How about this question?  Where is the active groups info stored?  I TOTALLY deleted the whole <Group> Dashboard section from groups.xml - yet it still shows up in HG list!

JUST like my problem with email parameter changes!  NOTHING I do seems to change the actions of HG!  There must be a secret location on the SD card where the REAL HG stuff runs from - it certainly is not from the HomeGenie directory!

I cannot DELETE the group in HG - it just locks up and won't show it under groups.  I can move other groups above dashboard - now on refresh the top group opens right away, all the other groups open fine, but as soon as I try to ope dashboard group - lock up....

Any clues?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 11:28:06 AM »

I don't recall where it's stored at the moment.  I'm sure it's in one of the xml files though.  You can either manually search through them or use "grep" to find a key word (maybe dashboard).  There are around 6 files so you can do it either way pretty quickly.

mike

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 11:30:36 AM »

well...   finally was able to delete the misbehaving Dashboard group!  I had been leaving the group  /group in the groups.xml list, just deleted everythg in the group itself...  no difference...  finally just deleted the whole group from the groups.xml list in HG main directory - and it still showed up, complete with its unique background color.  BUT I as was able to finally config>group and open the group!  sofor kicks I tried tried first to delete the background color - it said deleted but it was still there.  then I picked delete whole group and it is gone.  now all my other groups work again.  sheesh...

mike

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 11:33:58 AM »

I don't recall where it's stored at the moment.  I'm sure it's in one of the xml files though.  You can either manually search through them or use "grep" to find a key word (maybe dashboard).  There are around 6 files so you can do it either way pretty quickly.

Thanks.  That is how I have been finding the files.  I also copied the homegenie whole directory to my SSD HD so I could do fast searches for words INSIDE all files (like dashboard). 

Seems HG loads all the xml data into the running active program and uses it and does not see any changes made to the actual .xml files on the SD card; doing a restart of HG in the maintenance page does not reload the modified xml file either...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:50:01 AM by mike »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 06:27:14 PM »

Thanks.  That is how I have been finding the files.  I also copied the homegenie whole directory to my SSD HD so I could do fast searches for words INSIDE all files (like dashboard). 

Seems HG loads all the xml data into the running active program and uses it and does not see any changes made to the actual .xml files on the SD card; doing a restart of HG in the maintenance page does not reload the modified xml file either...

Mike you do realise you can't just randomly drop files into folders in Linux. You have file permission and ownership to consider particularly when transferring between Windows and Linux as Windows does not recognise Linux ownership and permission. May account for the fact that when you delete a file is doesn't actually get deleted.

Again I know nothing of your setup it's just purely an observation. You may also want to bear that in mind when installing a downloaded file like an .hgx that's downloaded in Windows first. I'd advise that you stay in the Linux environment when working with HG on your Raspberry Pi. Just a basic piece of advice.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 09:09:19 AM »

HG rebuilds the default groups on updates. So I'm wondering if this may be the cause of some issues? :o
Especially if one has removed some default things from their configuration.
Since HG tries to load the Dashboard first by default(unless you change the order of groups) if it is corrupt, HG fails to load correctly.

I don't run HG with the default groups and after a update I remove those recreated groups (Dashboard,ColorLights)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 09:23:31 AM »

Thanks everyone for the help.  Yes, the issue is HG does NOT use any changes made until some secret formula is met.  Not knowing the secret formula, it is hard for me to get past issues.  I did nothing to damage my dashboard group, yet there it was broken.  Took a zillion changes before HG decided I met the requirements to reload the .xml file. 

I had the same issue trying to get my email working in the recent past.

I just went thru it again this week as I had to change out my router, thus requiring wpa_config reload for new ssid/pw - took a couple tries also.

I see no need for dashboard so did not put it back in;  like you Tuicemen, I justhave my groups.

Petera, I am well versed in CHOWN command. I do not "randomly drop files" or folders in Linux.  I use WinSCP and putty to go between win/pi.  My search skills are much better in windows and much faster on a SSD drive;  why I copy whole directories from my pi SD over to wind directories so I can do very fast searches of words within thousands of files in seconds.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 05:40:44 PM »

Of course it's your system and your choice how to configure it, but if I were you I would look into using SAMBA so you can keep the files on Linux and use all of your Windows tools natively on the files while still on the RPi.  It's easy to set up and works very well.  I included it in my setup script that I shared a while back.  I should probably copy the script over to my github so that others can use it rather than having to search for it here or on the HG club site.

mike

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 06:20:26 PM »

sounds intriguing...  I think I use Samba to force my wife's apple computers to be avail to my windows stuff;  works on all but one...  I would be interested in seeing what you do if you get a chance to point me to it sometime.  Thanks.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2019, 11:50:15 AM »

This isn't my instructions, but should be about the same (looks similar to the guide I originally used).  It's the first link Google gave me for "samba raspberry pi".

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/samba-file-server

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »

Thanks everyone for the help.  Yes, the issue is HG does NOT use any changes made until some secret formula is met.  Not knowing the secret formula, it is hard for me to get past issues.  I did nothing to damage my dashboard group, yet there it was broken.  Took a zillion changes before HG decided I met the requirements to reload the .xml file. 

I had the same issue trying to get my email working in the recent past.

I just went thru it again this week as I had to change out my router, thus requiring wpa_config reload for new ssid/pw - took a couple tries also.

I see no need for dashboard so did not put it back in;  like you Tuicemen, I justhave my groups.

Petera, I am well versed in CHOWN command. I do not "randomly drop files" or folders in Linux.  I use WinSCP and putty to go between win/pi.  My search skills are much better in windows and much faster on a SSD drive;  why I copy whole directories from my pi SD over to wind directories so I can do very fast searches of words within thousands of files in seconds.

Great to hear that you are well versed with Linux ownerships and permissions. I really am puzzled why you are having so much difficulty with HG though. Clearly from what you now say you do realise that copying a downloaded file from Windows to Linux using SCP comes with its own warning

Simple curl or wget commands might make more sense but you seem to be on top of things so good luck with that Groups problem you are having.

mike

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2019, 06:22:40 PM »

1) Great to hear that you are well versed with Linux ownerships and permissions.
2) I really am puzzled why you are having so much difficulty with HG though.
3) Clearly from what you now say you do realise that copying a downloaded file from Windows to Linux using SCP comes with its own warning
4) simple curl or wget commands might make more sense but you seem to be on top of things so good luck with that Groups problem you are having.

Thank you for your useful? comments.  I will address each one individually simply because I am too old to play PC nonsense...

1) Sarcasm did not help anything.
2) Huh?  I had an issue many months ago setting up email and it was well documented that once initial parameters were entered no updates/changes to these were implemented.  Then last week my dashboard group stopped showing up, further causing all other groups to also not show up.  Again I could document that changes to groups.xml were NOT implemented until something else triggered a reread;  then my changes went into effect and the problem went away.  Not sure how these facts would cause you to be so puzzled.
3) Who ever said they copied files from windows to linux?  I go the other way for quicker easier diagnosis sometimes.
4) Groups problem I am having?  I explained quite some posts back that it was solved.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.