Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Raspi 4B  (Read 4611 times)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Raspi 4B
« on: June 24, 2019, 02:10:59 PM »

RasPi 4B now available:

The camera, display, A/V jack, POE pins, on board bluetooth and wifi have returned, but there's a tasty list of new additions to the 4. So lets have a quick run down of the exciting new tech on offer:

New 64-bit 1.5GHz quad core Cortex-A72 (Arm v8)
    1GB, 2GB or 4GB of memory, your choice
    Two new micro HDMI slots for dual screen action at 4K
    5V DC power via USB-C (with a new minimum 3A current)
    USB 3.0 capability

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Raspi 4B
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 05:02:51 PM »

Although I doubt it will matter for a RPi, but the Ethernet is now bumped from 300Mb to Gigabit.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 05:32:29 PM »

RasPi 4B now available:

The camera, display, A/V jack, POE pins, on board bluetooth and wifi have returned, but there's a tasty list of new additions to the 4. So lets have a quick run down of the exciting new tech on offer:

New 64-bit 1.5GHz quad core Cortex-A72 (Arm v8)
    1GB, 2GB or 4GB of memory, your choice
    Two new micro HDMI slots for dual screen action at 4K
    5V DC power via USB-C (with a new minimum 3A current)
    USB 3.0 capability

And no official version of Raspbian to run on it. You could of course build your own Raspbian kernel if you were in dire need to test it. :)%

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 06:07:12 PM »

Although I doubt it will matter for a RPi, but the Ethernet is now bumped from 300Mb to Gigabit.

The dual HDMI feature should be a great addition to the headless server user  rofl

After the euphoria of its release has died down I hope that those who rushed in to buy it realise that this model is a complete redesign with many changes to architecture and the Raspbian OS will be in a fledgling state. Many months of trial and error ahead I imagine.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 05:12:12 PM »

The dual 4k monitor support was the first thing I noticed.  Since the goal of the RPi was originally to provide a development platform for kids in under-developed countries I guess I'm impressed that they can get multiple high end monitors these days!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 05:26:05 PM »

The dual 4k monitor support was the first thing I noticed.  Since the goal of the RPi was originally to provide a development platform for kids in under-developed countries I guess I'm impressed that they can get multiple high end monitors these days!

I just noticed that Raspbian Buster has arrived on the shelves. It's the main Raspbian OS available for download. I imagine the Stretch repositories will start to contract somewhat. Might be time for HG users to start the switch to Buster now.

I think the Raspberry Pi ethos has shifted somewhat. Large volume orders being accepted now. The one per order directive appears to have been dispensed with.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 06:25:10 PM »

I just noticed that Raspbian Buster has arrived on the shelves. It's the main Raspbian OS available for download. I imagine the Stretch repositories will start to contract somewhat. Might be time for HG users to start the switch to Buster now.

As much as I agree with keeping things updated I wouldn't recommend HG users or any anyone using a Raspi for HA to update to Buster, unless they have time to play around. Typically this isn't HA season. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 08:28:52 PM »

As much as I agree with keeping things updated I wouldn't recommend HG users or any anyone using a Raspi for HA to update to Buster, unless they have time to play around. Typically this isn't HA season. ;)

Depends on what part of the world you are in  :)%

Changes in security certs are already under way among other things. It really is a straightforward backup, install Raspbian Buster from the repos and HG from the GitHub and restore your backup and you're good to go.

If you don't experiment you don't develop and HG certainly will grind to a halt. It's on life support as far as development is concerned. I'm coming from this with software like Home Assistant in mind where there's an update at least once every two weeks.

Raspbian and Mono doesn't stay still as far as development is concerned. One day your HG will stop working if you do.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 07:25:09 AM »

Depends on what part of the world you are in  :)%

Changes in security certs are already under way among other things. It really is a straightforward backup, install Raspbian Buster from the repos and HG from the GitHub and restore your backup and you're good to go.

If you don't experiment you don't develop and HG certainly will grind to a halt. It's on life support as far as development is concerned. I'm coming from this with software like Home Assistant in mind where there's an update at least once every two weeks.

Raspbian and Mono doesn't stay still as far as development is concerned. One day your HG will stop working if you do.
True, however updating is not always a smooth process. You run Home Assistant and I assume the upgrade to Buster went smooth for you if you updated a HG setup to Buster and had no issues then I understand the recomendation to upgrade a HG setup.
The first rainy day I plan to attempt a move to Buster with HG on one of my pi boards and will report back.
I'll also start to create a new PiX10Hub image if all went well.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »

Considering the cost of a 8-16GB microSD card and how easy it is to set up a Raspbian image + HG, I see no down side it giving it a try.  If it doesn't go well, shut down and install a stable image.  I personally would recommend having 1 or 2 backup cards sitting by your HA system anyway in case things fail at an inopportune time (guests over, leaving for vacation, etc.).  Since people should have a stack of microSD anyway, take one out and configure a testing configuration on it to see if Buster works...

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 05:23:43 PM »

Considering the cost of a 8-16GB microSD card and how easy it is to set up a Raspbian image + HG, I see no down side it giving it a try.  If it doesn't go well, shut down and install a stable image.  I personally would recommend having 1 or 2 backup cards sitting by your HA system anyway in case things fail at an inopportune time (guests over, leaving for vacation, etc.).  Since people should have a stack of microSD anyway, take one out and configure a testing configuration on it to see if Buster works...

I installed Buster on a USB SSD using a Raspberry Pi 3b + yesterday and just for the hell of it Installed HG. interesting results. A few minor tweaks but it booted fine.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 06:55:17 AM »

I have several SD cards on hand. However this time of year doesnt supply me with much HA play time. Knowing a bit of what to expect ahead of time helps me with the time constraints I currently have. Petera can you elaborate on your Buster HG install?
Minor tweaks for an exterianced Linux user may be daunting for a novice or beginner.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 10:01:45 AM »

I have several SD cards on hand. However this time of year doesnt supply me with much HA play time. Knowing a bit of what to expect ahead of time helps me with the time constraints I currently have. Petera can you elaborate on your Buster HG install?
Minor tweaks for an exterianced Linux user may be daunting for a novice or beginner.

Changes made mainly to reflect booting from USB SSD. Don’t need an SD card inserted in the Pi now. Goodbye failing SD cards.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 02:20:51 PM »

Does using an SSD prevent a sudden power failure from damaging the image?  If the drive is nice with its write policies I would think it could be much more stable than the fragile SD cards.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 03:28:35 PM »

Does using an SSD prevent a sudden power failure from damaging the image?  If the drive is nice with its write policies I would think it could be much more stable than the fragile SD cards.

Good question. I must run a test to see.

The overall feel on SSD is a much smoother experience. Read/writes feel smoother too. I’d definitely recommend it for anyone running a logging system.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.