Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WiFI DOS, solved.  (Read 2225 times)

audiology

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
WiFI DOS, solved.
« on: July 07, 2019, 04:24:38 PM »

FYI: I awakened this AM to find my X10 WiFi home control system inexplicably incapacitated save for a pair of  lamps that were the only responsive to assigned code I15 using an SC503 controller plugged into the same 110v outlet as the lamps. No other assigned (I) codes were active on that controller or any codes on any other controller, WiFi or hard wired, or switch in the house.

I applied my Monterey Signal Analyzer to the problem and discovered the DOS (denial of service) was due to an unending string of I16  codes initially labeled BSC (bad start code) and subsequently streaming BCY (bad 3 cycle gap). I have used this technique many time to identify, neutralize and replace other defective x10 components. The bad news was that there was nothing  physically assigned to code I16. I finally isolated the problem to a seldom used SC503 controller that was generating the offending I16 code. Once removed from the system, the problem was solved.

Kudos to those who contributed to the WiFi controller design. It has given new life to two homes, both of which were fundamentally wired consistent with X10 controls.

Audiology (X10 user since Radio Shack in the late '70s.)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: WiFI DOS, solved.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 06:16:42 PM »

Glad you solved the problem.  >!
X10 signal analyzers can come in handy for troubleshooting.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.