Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I can't stop laughing!  (Read 2367 times)

ceedee

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
I can't stop laughing!
« on: July 09, 2019, 05:46:17 PM »

Email today:

-----------
The X10 WiFi HUB IS BACK IN STOCK!  Limited availability. Get it quick while supplies last!

We have just received another batch of our X10 WiFi HUBs.  These units are quite popular and inventory is limited, so get yours quick!

------------

Really?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: I can't stop laughing!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 06:19:39 PM »

For the last month or so.
I have been getting email messages about special sales.
I had not gotten any sales pitches for a real long time.

I check my email. I had one waiting for me too.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:00:56 PM by Brian H »

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 06:46:09 AM »

For the last month or so.
I have been getting email messages about special sales.
I had not gotten any sales pitches for a real long time.

I check my email. I had one waiting for me too.

Another batch of refurbished returns possibly !!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 08:05:10 AM »

The number of people thatuse this as a simple way to use their phone as a remote is enormous. They never attempt to use any of the Wm100 limited options or timers.
This is how I now use mine as it isnt reliable enough for anything else. I also don't believe these are refurbished units which they are offering.
This product was originaly created to test interest in the WiFi to PLC option as a remote. Saddly this unit is unlikely to evolve to anything more then a glorified X10 wifi remote. :(
I last used my WM100 3 months ago and although still plugged in I now have other X10 wifi options I reguarly use.
As long as Athinix still sees interest in this unit they'll continue to distribute it.
Will we see new WiFi X10 modules?
Yes, most definately. Much was learned with developing the WM100 and its software which I hope will make it into these new devices.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 09:18:26 AM »

One wonders.

As time is passing less and less users are using X10 as their primary technology. Some of the older home automation players in the market like HomeSeer have relegated their X10 plugins to legacy status and are no longer officially supporting it.

Would introducing a new range of X10 hardware at this stage make financial sense for any commercial entity. One wonders indeed. Could the WM100 be their tombstone  rofl

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 01:25:04 PM »

Introducing new x10 hardware with out improving signal strength and underlying issues with modern electronics would not be wise. Fortunately Authinx started looking into that prior to releasing the WM100.

Dropping X10 support which help contribute to the success of a software I believe is a mistake. However in HomeSeers case pluggins are available created by end users which will make up for official support.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 02:38:34 PM »

I was faced with a decision about X10 just yesterday. My 14 y.o. grandson is visiting and he always marvels at the HA in our house.  I asked him about the lighting in his room at home and he told me about a floor lamp that's across the room from his bed.  He thought it'd be great to be able to turn it on and off remotely from his phone (which may or may not be surgically attached to his hand  ;D ).

I could have easily given him an X10 lamp or appliance module with a mini-controller or wireless setup but thought better of it as I didn't want to deal with troubleshooting from afar or discourage him from learning about HA with a bad 1st experience.  Instead, I gave him a TP-Link WiFi appliance module that I'd received as part of an Echo Dot promo.  He installed the app and had it up and running here in about 2 minutes and can't wait to try it out when he gets home.

This is the type of simplicity that people expect today. It's fine for X10 to continue to support PLC but if they don't get onboard with 21st century tech they'll wither and die.  The fact that X10 hasn't even acknowledged Alexa/Google Home is beyond comprehension. 

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 03:49:38 PM »

It's fine for X10 to continue to support PLC but if they don't get onboard with 21st century tech they'll wither and die.  The fact that X10 hasn't even acknowledged Alexa/Google Home is beyond comprehension.
I think if Authix would come up with a WiFi version of the CM15 (RF, PLC, WiFi) and a new AHP they would be revitalized. Gee whiz a number of great forum regulars have pretty much done it for them with the Pi X10 hub and Home Genie. Taking in to account the first (or second) batches of the WiFi module has sold out and been re-ordered from the manufacturer says they are hanging on. Perhaps, as you say, in the process of withering and dying. But they could do a lot better.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 06:08:03 PM »

You'll incorporate X10 into almost any of the home automation applications available today. That's not an issue. In fact I've managed to do that in at least ten different applications quite easily. It's simplicity as a technology lends itself to that.

The issue here is the commercial viability of producing new hardware based around X10 technology. I don't see any commercial entity wanting to choose this route as a serious business proposition.

Maybe Authinx are so far in at this stage they can't back out. Maybe X10 has now become the tinkerer's technology of choice. Either way with the prevalence of technology like Z Wave and such like maybe X10 has become a niche technology used by the more mature sector of the tinkerer's world.

ceedee

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 07:12:45 PM »

I got tired of the click of the appliance module controlling my LEDs. I purchased my first WiFi bulb, and that was the beginning of the end.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 07:24:30 PM »

I got tired of the click of the appliance module controlling my LEDs. I purchased my first WiFi bulb, and that was the beginning of the end.

Or the clunk depending on what condition your AM was in  rofl

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 06:56:49 AM »

I went to Smarthomes X10 clones.

Then to Insteon modules. That early ones also officially supported an X10 address added to them.

Hearing the Clunk of a module on the other side of the house was just too much to handle.

ceedee

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 08:11:36 AM »

Or the clunk depending on what condition your AM was in  rofl

Yea, it was a clunk.  I was being kind!

radioguy1007

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 08:46:07 AM »

I have always called it audible feedback upon state change.  I have a number of in-wall switches that resonate throughout the house when they activate in addition to AM's.  The 240 volt ones controlling backyard outlets really shake the dust off the walls!  The early BSR brown AMs were not as loud as the later X10 ones, but then they failed very quickly.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 09:13:08 AM »

The old clunking modules are saddly what most use and what they switch to another protocol from.
Both my places still primarily use X10 for automation however I have very few old clunking modules still in use. The new modules do still make a sound when switching but this is no louder then my Zwave, Wemo, Sonoff, or Wijit modules I have in use.
Originally I had planed to use all Zwave for my off grid place however I had reliability and other issues with it as with all protocols I tested there. I now think the way to go is a mix of protocols for ones Automation setup. Saddly nothing I've used is 100% reliable but what I have is close.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.