Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dimmable LEDs  (Read 1278 times)

bf9ys02

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Dimmable LEDs
« on: August 14, 2019, 11:58:15 PM »

Should all x10 dimmers work with DIMMABLE LEDs?  I'm using one with a WS467.  Dim and brighten work but off does not go completely off.  Just very dim.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Dimmable LEDs
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 07:18:29 AM »

X10 wall switch dimmers. Will not work with all dimmable LED bulbs.

The WS467 and other X10 two wire dimmer wall switches. Steals power through the Load and are sold for incandescent loads only. This needed current keeps many dimmable LED bulbs partially glowing.

Some brands and models maybe better than others. You may get more details on brands that may work better from other users here.

I did some tests awhile ago. With a WS12A. Some LEDs glowed when Off. Some the Local controls worked fine but no X10 power line commands worked. Some if On power line commands could brighten and dim them.

Some users have tested different brands and models. To find an acceptable dimmable LED bulb.

If you have a Neutral power connection. There is an X10Pro dimmer that works better than the two wire X10 switches. The Insteon modules that had X10 as an optional address not too sure if they still do. Also worked better as they also use a Neutral connection.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:33:03 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 01:59:14 PM »

The plug in X10 dimmer modules. May also have problems with dimmable LEDs.

The older ones have Local Control Sensing. The sensing current can keep some LEDs glowing or when off trigger the module back On.

The presently sold Soft Start ones also have the sensing. They also do not dim down to 0%. With any type bulb including incandescent.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:05:47 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 07:54:19 PM »

Should all x10 dimmers work with DIMMABLE LEDs?  I'm using one with a WS467.  Dim and brighten work but off does not go completely off.  Just very dim.
FWIW
Yeah, I have similar situation, however I have a couple that I want to stay on and use them as night lights. At the "off" glow they use less power than an incandescent night light and light the kitchen well enough that I don't stub toe. As far as ones that go dark on a X10 wall switch, a "100W equivalent" LED bulb (13 watts actual) is dark when off, everywhere I have tried them (wall switch, lamp module, socket rocket).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bf9ys02

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 01:47:18 PM »

Could you ID one of those bulbs?  The one I have is a Thinklux 18W 1150Lumens PAR38.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 03:45:43 PM »

Could you ID one of those bulbs?  The one I have is a Thinklux 18W 1150Lumens PAR38.
Yes, I have "Sunbeam" "100W" and "Zilotek" "100W" that are dark when off on a WS467. Both bulbs are typical round bulbs, and claim 13 Watt draw. Both are heavy so have some heat metal heat sinking incorporated. If your 18W bulb still glows, I got no explanation.   Sorry.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

AMXoldhack

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 08:39:04 PM »

There our hacks published on how to defeat manual turn ons and how to add a neutral to two wire x10 moduals to limit the current flowing through in the off state. You can also get by by adding a small incandescent bulb to multi bulb fixtures. Example: I have a 7 watt night light plugged in the modual that controls my LED kitchen counter lighting. lights fully turn off when off, extra 7 watt load when they are on. ;)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.