Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LED bulb won't stay turned on  (Read 1080 times)

dla114

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
LED bulb won't stay turned on
« on: August 21, 2019, 06:39:19 PM »

I've slowly changed away from incandescent bulbs to either fluorescent or LED bulbs.  In one case I installed a 60 Watt equivalent LED bulb which works just fine.  However I wanted a brighter bulb in the lamp so installed a 100 Watt equivalent bulb and found that when I turn it on, it just turns back off again. 

Has anyone experienced this problem and how did they solve it?

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: LED bulb won't stay turned on
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 01:27:54 AM »

What kind/model# of module/switch are you using to control it?  Are either of the bulbs labeled "dimmable?"  My first thought/guess is that you may be using a dimmer switch or module as opposed to an appliance (relay based) switch/module.  If you're using a dimmer and the 100 watt equivalent is not labeled as dimmable that could be your problem.  The 60 watt equivalent probably is dimmable which is why it works.  Like I said, this is just a guess so maybe someone else who's had the same issue will jump in.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »

I agree with brobin. If it is a (newer) wall switch it will come back on at what ever brightness it was turned off at. So if it was dimmed down it may not come back on with enough power to keep the bulb lit. Try turning the switch off and back on with the small tab under the push button. This will reset the switch memory back to full bright and then push the button to turn it on. Will the bulb stay lit?
If using a Lamp Module, unplugging the module will reset it.
Did you try the bulb in a non X10 fixture to make sure it is not the bulb? Don't be insulted, people tend to think it is an X10 problem and forget to check the bulb. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 06:20:50 PM »

You mentioned fluorescent bulbs. Are you using an On/Off type wall switch or Appliance Module? Since that type bulb is not designed for a dimmer. Even the rare dimmable CFL bulbs can sometimes be an issue.
If it is a Appliance Module. Do you know if it is a later one called CFL friendly?

If you are using a two wire dimmer X10 Wall Switch. That steals power through the Load. Dimmable LED bulbs can be touchy. Some may work other may not. As the two wire wall switch is designed for incandescent loads.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.