Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weatherized MS16A motion sensors  (Read 770 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Weatherized MS16A motion sensors
« on: November 17, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »

A bit of false advertising, but I thought I'd provide results from my weatherized MS16A modules.  These were upgraded with silicon and installed 1 year ago. After a few months they stopped working. Usually that happens because they are corroded and destroyed.  I decided to replace the setup with different equipment, so this is what they look like before trashing.

The screen is cracked and disintegrated when touched. No noticable evidence of water inside. No corrosion of contacts. In fact, I powered them up with 3v on bench top power supply and the LED's flashed so I suspect they still work.

IOW, careful application of silicon on all seams and fastener holes CAN significantly improve the survivability of sensors in direct weather.  However, it will not actually make a difference as the screen is apparently not UV resistant and will ultimately be the failure mode.  I have another sensor I will be pulling today that was not exposed to direct weather or UV and its lasted several years even with allowing batteries to corrode inside.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:48:48 AM by bkenobi »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Weatherized MS16A motion sensors
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 10:17:08 PM »

As I mentioned, this is the other location that was not weatherized and has been installed for several years. It looks pristine other than the spider webs.  I could install another set of batteries and be good to go.

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 11:15:34 PM »

Thanks for this post, timing is perfect for a project I was about to implement with MS16a detectors outside. I have had two (one in garage, one in breezeway) under cover for about 10 years with about a 2 year battery life and almost perfect detection, so I was about to use them for an exterior project where they would be exposed 24/7 to the elements. Re-thinking that now.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 06:18:15 AM »

Thank you for the detailed information.
I am sure others will benefit from the information.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:37:07 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.