Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Installing HomeGenie on Raspbian Buster  (Read 5074 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Installing HomeGenie on Raspbian Buster
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 11:13:07 AM »

I've read once you've updated to buster on any pi board you can remove the sd card and use it in a pi 4. I'm wondering if you could also use the same SD card in any Pi 1-4
Have you tested your zero w card in any other pi boards petera?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 03:37:21 PM »

It's not advisable to swap SD cards between boards. You could try it though. The architecture is quite different between each, ethernet springs to mind, and sudo upgrade doesn't always catch the correct firmware. I did try it a year or so ago and the results weren't great. The usual suspects program wise began to play up like notifications etc.

HG is pretty fussy owing to the way Mono operates on different Linux kernels so you may think you're up and running and a week later everything comes to a crawl.

The Pi 4 is a completely different story. Personally I wouldn't run a production setup on it. So many firmware patches applied to iron out the release issues. I'll admit it's the first version of a Pi I didn't jump in to buy. Pi 4 v2 is only around the corner which should see all those issues addressed.

My instructions on a Buster fresh install applies to all models and a number of novice users have managed it quite well so that's the route I'd go if I were you. As you know a simple HG restore when completed will see you back in business quite quickly.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 04:34:28 PM »

I'm in the process of doing both a Buster upgrade and image build on 2 Zero Ws.
I plan to do a bit of experimentation with each as neither board is my main setup (it still uses stretch)  >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 04:59:35 PM »

I plan to do a bit of experimentation with each as neither board is my main setup (it still uses stretch)  >!

At this stage I don't see any point in an image but if it's something you want to do by all means fire ahead. Most if not all, even the novice users have managed to grasp the concept of setting up a Raspberry Pi from scratch so the Buster fresh install I outlined is a breeze.

If you were so inclined you could alter one of the install scripts @bkenobi created to reflect the relevant Buster repos if so required. Maybe @bekenobi could expand on that.

Just so everyone is clear, there's a difference between a Buster upgrade and a Buster fresh install. Running sudo apt dist-upgrade from the CLI (command line) in Raspbian Stretch will indeed upgrade to Buster but it's not advisable to do unless you are very familiar with the Linux environment. The Buster fresh install and HG restore is the way to go.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2019, 05:02:56 PM »

Another matter to consider is that your Mono security certificates store will begin to expire so if you choose to continue using Stretch you may well have to self certify yourself. A little messy by all accounts.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 05:48:23 PM »

I do plan to move my setup to Buster prior to the new year so issues with mono will not be a problem. I also plan to create a image for the PiX10hub what pi it will be geared to remains to be seen. There continues to be new users to this everyday and they even have issues installing it.  I also had issues with the install of a fresh image which newbies would have just given up on.
The PiX10Hub image I plan on creating is more for my own ease of use with other pi boards I have. However since others may find it useful I will post a link to it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.