Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Geofencing  (Read 2339 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Geofencing
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 04:33:21 PM »

My phone(at least at my off grid place) has already replaced my desttop (mini pc) and laptops. However i still have a pi or two running controlling my HA setup.
The fact that I dont always carry my phone or an electronic device is not because I don't want to but more that I find it cumbersome. I use to consider myself an early adopter but having to carry something extra all the time in my pocket is more then I can seem to remember to do.
There are new fitbits and watches out there not which comunicate directly with Amazon Alexa. Maybe I'll get something like that from Santa (hint hint , Santa) rofl possibly in the new year I'll be exploring this geofencing more.
 I have two places which are automated and have Alexa enabled devices all ready incorporated as well as HomeGenie running.
My HA season is fast approching so I may experiment with geofencing and HG soon.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 05:22:25 PM »

Unless you forgot my original post which was scorned heavily, I did point out that geofencing is a very interesting technology for the right application (alarm systems, advanced lighting scenarios, etc).  If suggesting that people consider if automating one of their most expensive systems in their home (potentially) is a good idea and that hurts your ego, then I'm truly sorry.  I understand that your approach to automation is very different than mine.  I like to make sure things will work together before I construct a Frankenstein of gadgets and do-dads that will require endless tinkering to work correctly.  I also tend to build my own automation devices rather than simply paying Apple, Google, or Amazon to tell me what I should have and then let them have a key to my home while they're at it.  This apparently means that I am not an enthusiast in your eyes and I'm ok with that.  I have lots of hobbies and choose how to make each work for me.  HA may be in a golden age of paying someone else to tell you what your setup should look like, but it's also prime for constructing your own system however you see fit.  ESP, Arduino, Android, etc all can do so much compared to simple AHP and X10 components of the past.  There is no need to use the mega company products unless you want to.  But, if you do want to, cool!

So, to get back to geofencing which is where I left it in my original post...lots of possibilities but not always heating systems.  That's all.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 05:50:00 PM »

I like bkenobi wouldn't  use geofencing for heating or cooling. I'm either here or not my thermostate has a built in timer function. If I were to go shopping for 1-2 hours I don't see the benifit of it being set back.
Other things like making sure the garage door was closed or doors locked would be more worrisome.
I have to admit Ive not looked into geofencing much and other then going to my off grid place I seldom go anywhere else for a great length of time now. Although I may go to the off grid place for a good length of time my wife does not.
So like Dave I also am interested in ideas for this new tech to implement into HA. I'm sure much of it will be of no use to me, but who knows ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2019, 08:43:20 PM »

I like bkenobi wouldn't  use geofencing for heating or cooling. I'm either here or not my thermostate has a built in timer function. If I were to go shopping for 1-2 hours I don't see the benifit of it being set back......

I don't think it would set-back for a mere outing (don't forget geofencing isn't just occupancy sensing.... geofencing knows where your at). And it also knows where the house/cabin is at and what the weather conditions are. PLUS it knows what your heating system is... and it builds a (cloud-based) library of performance and run times. It is really VERY sophisticated. It won't save you money all in one day. It saves the same way the HVAC costs.... nickles and dimes. It all adds up.

But I have no dog in that race. The MILLIONS of satisfied customers (and Google money) pretty much secures it immediate future success. So..... 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »

....... I also am interested in ideas for this new tech to implement into HA. I'm sure much of it will be of no use to me, but who knows ::) :'

Don't forget this is an iphone app that is asking to help integrate HA with it's geo-location (Apple uses a phone-tower version of location). I am not even sure just how far this can be taken.

Turning lights off and on.... or even setting your heat-AC back to save money.... playing your favorite music when you return home..... is all kind'a old-hat. I only WISH I could come up with something new, creative, or innovate.

There are a few posts (I believe) that deal with widow treatment automation. The wife and I are thinking of new (cordless) blinds this winter. I've already thought of looking in that direction for a new project. That could also incorporate automation... with location. 

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 10:05:09 PM »

My Honeywell thermostat knows the current temperature and knows how long it takes to heat up based on inside and outside temperatures.  It will use the electric strip to supplement the HP when it is on the colder side and the HP won't be able to fully provide the needed heat.  It will use only electric strip when it is too cold and the HP could be damaged from running.  All of these things gs are done by programming of the unit or it learning the system over time.  I have no problem with learning systems as they can be a great way to improve comfort etc.  I get that Nest provides these in a different way, but other than knowing it will be getting g cold so bump up the heat preemptively, there's not much a good quality thermostat can't do even without the cloud.

I almost bought a nest a few years ago, but it has some drawbacks.

1) I only have 1 zone and am only HVAC so I can't easily utilize occupancy detection any better than my current setup

2) Nest won't work with my HP system. I called to find a compatible model, but there are none.  IIRC, it was the combination of variable speed blower, HP, and electric aux heat elements.

I've read about some people using geofencing type control to have the heat turn up when they are on the way to a cabin that has been winterized. I presume that would be easy enough to do if you were using navigation. If so, it could see your destination and start heating with enough time to be toasty (or AC I suppose) before your key hit the door.  Now that would be a great use of geofencing + heating/AC!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2019, 07:03:03 PM »

Geofencing is pretty cool. I am using Life360 with Homeseer along with the PH Location plug-in. Begrudgingly my wife turns the AC to a higher temp when she goes out for the day. But I use various locations to determine when she's headed back while not pinpointing her. When she hits a circle closer to home, the A/C gets turned back to frigid. One hour out, not worth adjusting, but two or more hours and it's a savings for sure.

Using the same plug-in, my wife gets a text when I get to Home Depot. I'm not so sure I'm going to keep that event active.  ;D

HA Dave

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2019, 10:22:11 PM »

Geofencing is pretty cool...........  two or more hours and it's a savings for sure.

I am retired... and I'd go nuts sitting around the house. So during cycling season I can be gone several hours at a time. Or other errands and interests could keep me gone for just a few minutes here and there. The Nest setup may not be perfect... but it seems to be perfectly reliable (with my HVAC) and kept the wife and I comfortable while saving us money.

But I am thinking more and more.... automated blinds mixed with the same control that works the heat/AC could shield the house from solar heat build-up in summer.... and exploit the suns heat in winter. Or maybe just let in the sun if I sleep too late....

my wife gets a text when I get to Home Depot. I'm not so sure I'm going to keep that event active.  ;D

I've thought about "reminder texts" based on store/event/ location. Where I could (I believe) enter a reminder to stop at any particular store when in the area... and purchase whatever. I am not sure my gray-matter reminder system has enough of a failure rate to duplicate it's function. Or... at least I don't remember forgetting.

Thanks for your input racerfern. I sometimes feel kind'a alone with some of this automation stuff. Or better put.... restrictions put on automation.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:37:57 AM by HA Dave »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.