Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The X10Hub (PiX10Hub) is here! Created by the Community, for the Community.:)% #:)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Strange question but are members here still using X10  (Read 567 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 19
Re: Strange question but are members here still using X10
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2019, 12:31:03 PM »

Absolutely.

The distribution upgrade can be a little trickier though. Mono can be a nightmare during a distribution upgrade as it spawns many folders in Linux. Iíve seen so many people tearing their hair out with that one particularly as in the case of a HomeGenie the recommendation is to install Mono from the project page and not from the distribution repository.

I generally find it easier to do a /home folder backup, a fresh install and a restore when moving between distributions. You can see that with a change in distribution between Stretch and Buster the recommenced Gdebi installer for HomeGenie fails. I suppose thatís why I made that post earlier about upgrading from Stretch to Buster to help others who couldnít move on.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 265
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2019, 07:55:47 AM »

I always recommend updating to the newest version for a number of reasons. My automation season hasn't started yet but I plan to revise the PiX10Hub image to Buster.  Following petera's step by step post would be just as easy for existing users.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Find extra info @ My forum

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 137
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2019, 05:46:03 PM »

Automation is my winter project (every winter). It would be silly for me to do anything that might limit my automation's growth... and my own enjoyment.
Then I hope you have geared up. Supposed to snow tomorrow, and I still have a yard full of leaves...sigh.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2019, 07:57:47 PM »

I always recommend updating to the newest version for a number of reasons. My automation season hasn't started yet but I plan to revise the PiX10Hub image to Buster.  Following petera's step by step post would be just as easy for existing users.

Was thinking about this.  Rather than just getting an SD card with the latest software and putting in my Pi Zero W  I was  going to get another Pi and use that to upgrade the software.

Would that make sense?  Is there another Pi that would be recommended (i. E. Pi 4) ?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 265
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2019, 08:15:36 PM »

Not all Pis are the same image from one modle will not always work in the other. So if you wish to have one for simply doing upgrades get the same model your setup os on,  the zero w.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Find extra info @ My forum

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2019, 08:19:07 PM »

Was thinking about this.  Rather than just getting an SD card with the latest software and putting in my Pi Zero W  I was  going to get another Pi and use that to upgrade the software.

Would that make sense?  Is there another Pi that would be recommended (i. E. Pi 4) ?

Not really.

Why would you want two separate servers doing the same job. Unnecessary redundancy.

If you're just using X10 and maybe some IP cams your Pi Zero W is well up for the job. Anything outside of that the choice is endless.

The Pi 3+, the Pi 4 which is buggy and not recommended, the Rock64 4Gb unit which is an animal with the same profile as the Pi and the Odroid etc etc. The choice is endless. Just stay up to date as far as the OS is concerned on whatever board you use.

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2019, 08:27:11 PM »

I would not run both at the same time.  One would be a backup system.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2019, 08:51:19 PM »

I would not run both at the same time.  One would be a backup system.

Take an SD image of your card. You can write it back to your SD card at any stage though I doubt you would need to. As I said stick with your Pi Zero W unless you needed to add some serious processor/memory intensive applications on top of HomeGenie.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.