Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: All Voice Activated Systems are vulnerable to this ingenious hack.  (Read 3382 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: All Voice Activated Systems are vulnerable to this ingenious hack.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 10:41:17 PM »

139 years ago our good friend Alexander Graham Bell did essentially the same thing with his Photophone invention.  History repeats itself.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 10:58:01 PM »

https://lightcommands.com/

Totally 100% true! I like where it reads:   "As an example, in our paper we show how an attacker can use light-injected voice commands to unlock the victim's smart-lock protected home doors"

Of course... this is all impractical. And that's why it's never been done. And it never will be. But it can be fun to read about.

However... the world does have very real risks (like getting robbed in a parking lot). I know a lot of people who carry concealed weapons to defend themselves against such risks. It's all a calculation... best done using math... instead of emotions. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 08:07:28 AM »

139 years ago our good friend Alexander Graham Bell did essentially the same thing with his Photophone invention.  History repeats itself.
But he wasn't hacking an iPhone.  ;)
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 09:28:28 AM »

I live in New Hampshire. The easiest way through a window to open a door is pick up a nearby rock and sling it through a window. Hi-tech entry is gained with a hammer :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 10:03:46 AM »

I live in New Hampshire. The easiest way through a window to open a door is pick up a nearby rock and sling it through a window. Hi-tech entry is gained with a hammer :)

Here in Ohio... burglars have learned to use welcome mats and patio furniture to bust open windows. Or... their trade-tools, as many serious robberies are committed (around here) by workers who became addicted to cocaine or meth. I haven't heard of ANY burglar ANYWHERE with the skills to operate a "Laser-Based Audio Injection System" as described in the theoretical paper (linked to by the OP).

The current POPULAR way to rob people around here involves watching the delivery trucks. Old people particularly.... fail to monitor their doors with cameras. PLUS older people often receive medications that addicts find desirable for both use and resale. So the thief's merely run up to the door and grab the package... and they're gone. Easy Peasy (and no hi-tech laser set-ups involved).

brobin

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 12:32:53 PM »

[/quote]
But he wasn't hacking an iPhone.  ;)
[/quote]

He didn't have to... he already owned every phone, the wires and central offices.  rofl

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 05:41:17 PM »

He didn't have to... he already owned every phone, the wires and central offices.  rofl

Didn't Alex want "Ahoy!" to be the proper way to answer his invention when it rang? I think I just took us down a rabbit trail, but we can bring it back by talking about how to rabbit hunt with a laser. <big smile>
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 07:39:03 PM »

Of course... this is all impractical. And that's why it's never been done. And it never will be. But it can be fun to read about.
The article states...
So far we have not seen any indications that this attack have been maliciously exploited.
Since any attacker has to be within a few hundred feet and have a line of sight to the target, it's not likely to be something we need worry about but it does illustrate how, as 'smart' devices proliferate, there may be many unanticipated vulnerabilities.

brobin

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 09:07:52 PM »

Didn't Alex want "Ahoy!" to be the proper way to answer his invention when it rang? I think I just took us down a rabbit trail, but we can bring it back by talking about how to rabbit hunt with a laser. <big smile>

That's right, he actually preferred and used "Ahoy Hoy" to answer the phone. Edison instructed all his people to use Hello. How's THAT for some useless knowledge!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 11:32:16 AM »

There are solutions to a lot of these problems that will become more of a reality though.  We just have to keep them in mind when setting systems up.  If the voice box can see a window, it would be exposed to this risk.  By shutting the drapes, you should eliminate the concern.  Or, I suppose make sure it is blocked by furniture.  In the cold war days, there were devices that could record conversations by detecting vibrations on windows.  The counter was to install some form of device that would change how the window was vibrating (not sure if it was a white noise generator or a noise cancellation type device and can't find a link).

But, this type of threat is something a lot of people are becoming more aware of and concerned with.  I recently found a whole line of clothing that helps with radiation but eliminates all the downsides of using tin foil.  I haven't ordered from this specific company since they are in Europe, but I imagine it should help those who are interested.

https://shieldapparels.com/

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 09:10:27 PM »

That's right, he actually preferred and used "Ahoy Hoy" to answer the phone. Edison instructed all his people to use Hello. How's THAT for some useless knowledge!
Impressive.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 06:03:12 PM »

he actually preferred and used "Ahoy Hoy" to answer the phone. Edison instructed all his people to use Hello.
I'm glad I found this thread as I'm already quite anti-Edison and didn't realize I'd been making such a big mistake in supporting his legacy for my whole life.  Accordingly, I started bringing back "Ahoy-Hoy" as a telephone greeting earlier this week.  :)

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 08:49:39 AM »

....... there may be many unanticipated vulnerabilities.

Maybe... at some point in the UN-known future. But I don't live in the future (or the past)... and never will as that is impossible, except in the our imaginations.

And in the here and now.... it appears that your "future problem" has already been resolved. As improved voice recognition technology can tell the identify the persons voice and act appropriately (as programmed) based on "who" makes a request. 

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 09:08:06 AM »

There are solutions to a lot of these problems that will become more of a reality though.  We just have to keep them in mind when setting systems up.  If the voice box can see a window, it would be exposed to this risk.  By shutting the drapes, you should eliminate the concern.  Or, I suppose make sure it is blocked by furniture.  In the cold war days, there were devices that could record conversations by detecting vibrations on windows.  The counter was to install some form of device that would change how the window was vibrating (not sure if it was a white noise generator or a noise cancellation type device and can't find a link).

Your so correct... You know... even cameras can be defeated with a ball cap or a hoodie.

My Dad was a police officer in the 70's-80's and drug dealers would be monitored using "big ear-type listening devices". And the solution for the drug dealers was to place speakers facing the outside walls and windows.

Meanwhile.... if you're so deep into whatever criminal behavior gets so much police attention... maybe being off-line (and avoiding modern Home Automation) would be a better lifestyle choice.

Meanwhile.... I am pretty positive I have been and may still be monitored by my own government. So.... it would be foolish of me to think I could somehow outsmart or out-tech the feds with curtains and/or furniture. As nearly every appliance and TV in the home can be hacked with the appropriate court order. And isn't THAT what people should be worried about?!?!? 
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.