Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Security Camera DVR's and Streaming to a Smart TV or Streaming device.  (Read 2134 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

It took me a short while to realize that I could truly integrate my Smart TV with my Home Automation. Making the TV's part of my automation routine/macros/programs and/or voice commanding (Alexa) the control of my TV.

NOW..... I am thinking I should be able to stream my Internet connected Security Camera DVR to my TV's as well. I mean it streams to my phone... and phones stream to the TV's. I am just not sure which app/apps are best for such things. And... whereas I do have one apple streaming device... I mostly use the ROKU devices or smart TV for my streaming.

Without advice from others... I'll likely try the Roku "media streaming app" 1st... which I think is mostly geared for USB media. OR... I might be able to setup the DVR directly through the "devices" setting.

Has/is anyone else done/doing (or have tried) this?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 09:40:06 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Security Camera DVR's and Streaming to a Smart TV or Streaming device.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 10:04:25 AM »

In one short answer......HomeGenie. Lights,camera, action  :)%

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 11:10:44 AM »

Since the TV has either Amazon, Google, or some other tech built into it, you will be limited by what apps those systems can provide if you want native support.  You can do as petera suggested and use HG web interface to see everything on your TV which is probably your only option for an easy solution.

As for voice control, I don't see why you need Alexa integrated with the TV since all modern smart TV's have a voice command built in.  I guess it's so you can have the mother ship know what channel you are watching and have the TV also report it?  That's a good approach since it will drown them with information!   -:)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 11:48:40 AM »

Since the TV has either Amazon, Google, or some other tech built into it, you will be limited by what apps those systems can provide if you want native support.  You can do as petera suggested and use HG web interface to see everything on your TV which is probably your only option for an easy solution.

As for voice control, I don't see why you need Alexa integrated with the TV since all modern smart TV's have a voice command built in.  I guess it's so you can have the mother ship know what channel you are watching and have the TV also report it?  That's a good approach since it will drown them with information!   -:)

Of course he could side load the HomeGenie apk onto the Roku media streamer for a real integrated experience. The HomeGenie server can do all the heavy lifting and pass back any stream to the smart tv. In fact you can side load an apk direct to the smart tv and cut out all the middle men. Just copy the apk to a USB stick and pop it into the USB port on the tv and down load it to the TV. A good starting point for that would be Kodi as it works very nicely with HomeGenie

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 05:54:30 PM »

I actually have been viewing my cameras both at home and over the web through the TV for some time. With my smart TV and HomeGenie I've been able to expand on just viewing to control of both places. I have no more simple cameras in place all are pan & tilt with presets and some have zoom. I also had voice control of my camera presets prior to Alexa so moving the control to her was a simple add with HomeGenie. Since I only 2 to 4 presets for any one camera I modified the HG camera control to allow moving cameras for 4 presets. I actualy had that setup with PC Companion prior to moving to HG.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 08:33:43 PM »

Thanks petera, bkenobi, Tuice! I don't know why I didn't think to just use a browser?!?! Heck... I could just use the Pi unit itself for that matter. Heck.... maybe even install a browser... there are thousands of DL's (apps?) for the Roku. I'll have to check my Apple TV device too. Seems it has/had a web browser of some sort.

Thanks again everyone. I'll post back when up and running.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 09:38:59 PM »

Yeah... I can cast or mirror to the TV. Or run on another PC-like device 24-7. Not exactly what I had in mind. I can as quickly and easily view the camera on my iphone or a tablet (and/or mirror than to the TV.

I do have the front door camera set-up on a picture viewing frame (they were popular a few years ago). It's handy to get a quick look at the door if the doorbell rings or someone knocks (although it's mostly Amazon or FedX). I get "the look" with a Alex request/command (at one time I used X10 cameras and BVC). The unit, just grabs the input from the DVR camera feed now-a-days. But I think it would be handy to see other cameras too. This method won't work for multiple camera views.

So.... to get the quickness I don't think my old DVR setup will cut the mustard. I see (I've been internet shopping) Swan has a DVR that "works with Alexa and Google". With an Echo Show, I could split-up my camera set-up, add in the Swan (and/or OTHER cameras that works with Alex)... this might be a better way to go.

I like the idea of the camera detection phone notifications too. But hate the idea of having to set and and disarm this all the time. So many options. No one or perfect solution.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:47:59 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 06:42:02 AM »

I've always been able to view all my cameras at once. However I never had more then 6 in use. With newer cameras I now have fewer in use. 4 cover my propertys nicely now these easily fit on screen using HG even in the large widgets.
I too was never happy with simple viewing and have always wanted a touch screen. Voice control of my cameras has removed that need for the most part.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 09:48:03 PM »

....... I too was never happy with simple viewing and have always wanted a touch screen. Voice control of my cameras has removed that need for the most part.

I stuck with looking/checking the Amazon Site until I found a $49 Echo Show holiday deal (the 5 inch screen). Now I'll split my setup between Alexa compatible cloud storage and my old Hard Drive DVR. I think.....

The options seem limitless. But I am confident now... that I should be able to get... as many voice commanded fast-views as I'd like.

Back in the-ole-days.... I'd mount a big red-eyed IR camera as a warning to potential intruders.... along with a verbal [Kate16] verbal warning. Then VCR-record from hidden cameras. I think I will return to concealing some of my cameras. And use others to "talk"... using a motion-sensing phone app.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 06:56:00 AM »

In my early days of using the cameras I did use the listen in and talk function of my cameras, however I rarely use that now.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 11:01:38 AM »

In my early days of using the cameras I did use the listen in and talk function of my cameras, however I rarely use that now.

In my state it's unlawful to (secretly) listen to anyone who might be outside of my home. They have an implied sense of privacy. So... I've always complied and never used any device to listen (or even connected a device so as to have the ability to hear/listen).

But now considering setting up an intercom with a camera (like a Ring... which is apparently legal now). As I am leaning towards an entire system that is phone based. I am also going to be adding an "indoor" (my 1st) camera with motion detection to supplement my alarm system(s). Which I hope to make my 1st phone location based (geo-fencing) setup.

The DVR setup (I have now)... was so good (at the time I installed it) that cameras had pretty much been an afterthought for several years now. It's kind'a nice to have that aspect to "play with" again. 

We all have our reason and desires with automation. Like some others.... I really enjoy the projects and accomplishments. I love what this stuff can do. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 11:03:37 AM by HA Dave »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 07:16:17 PM »

I found a $49 Echo Show holiday deal (the 5 inch screen).

It is way cool! Will be $49.00 tomorrow on Best Buy for Cyber Monday
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 08:10:20 PM »

I found a $49 Echo Show holiday deal (the 5 inch screen).

It is way cool! Will be $49.00 tomorrow on Best Buy for Cyber Monday
Or two for $89.95 on Amazon.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 04:16:05 PM »

Better deals for those that waited. What can I say. And worse.... my hurrying was a waste as my wife insists I open it at Christmas.

But I did install a little Wyse WiFi camera. I was surprised with the power/reception and HD clarity of the little camera. But less than impressed with it's motion and/or sound detection. For me at least... the new stuff has a learning curve... and learning curves have price tags.

I think.... I am (in the process of) gathering all the materials I'll for need for some new projects after the holidays [Home Automation Season]. 

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 10:24:00 PM »

And...... maybe I just need to let these things happen. Technology is moving along and providing solutions faster than I'll ever create any solutions.

Fire TV Cube + Ring Video Doorbell 2

The Fire Cube (Amazon streaming Device) will also display wifi cameras right on the TV it's connected to. I believe... the Amazon/fire smart TV's will do the same. I am sure even the lesser streaming devices will do the same in short order (or as new devices are released). 

Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.