Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: WM100  (Read 10042 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: WM100
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 05:02:03 PM »

Also, can the Harmony App do X-10 extended format, such as to turn on a SwitchLinc (using only X10, not Insteon) to a specific brightness level?

Sorry we do not. Currently for X10 devices we support simple OnOff and Brightness commands. 

Unfortunately, that rules it out for those of us who use Leviton dimmers and newer X10 switches that support extended commands.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

x10wizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 05:23:30 PM »

Thanks for the info, brobin. 

I can get around the lack of X-10 extended format capability in the Smartenit Harmony by using X-10 scenes in my SwitchLincs, KeypadLincs, and 2456D3 LampLincs. 

So in your house that has the Harmony P2, if the internet is down, the app can’t be used for control, but your user-created program (schedules, etc) that is stored in the P2 will still execute properly?

What about power failures.  Do the P2 and G2 recover properly from a power failure and then continue to execute the user-created program without any sort of intervention or reset being necessary?

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 05:44:41 PM »

Also, can the Harmony App do X-10 extended format, such as to turn on a SwitchLinc (using only X10, not Insteon) to a specific brightness level?

Sorry we do not. Currently for X10 devices we support simple OnOff and Brightness commands. 

Unfortunately, that rules it out for those of us who use Leviton dimmers and newer X10 switches that support extended commands.

Jeff
As a replacement for your Ocelot, my Stargate or any other controller, yes.  But as an Alexa bridge it still works.  My second home is full of Leviton & Switchlinc dimmers.  In my case I took Housecode N, which I wasn't using, and used it for Alexa triggers.  So, as an example,  N1 gets defined as 'Living Room Lamp' in the Harmony and sends N1 on or off when Alexa tells it to.  So where I might have a Stargate event that essentially says:

If time is between Sunset -20min and 11:45PM
Then Turn on Living Room lamp (L1) at 72%
Else Turn Off Living Room Lamp (L1)

I edit it to this:

If time is between Sunset -20min and 11:45PM
OR IF N1-ON received
Then Turn on Living Room lamp (L1) at 72%
Else Turn Off Living Room Lamp (L1)

So the N1 On command triggers the Ocelot/Stargate/other controller to send the extended code using L1 as usual. The N1 code is simply an IF statement trigger like Sunset and never directly controls a module.

A separate event is created for triggering the OFF command:

If N1-Off received
Then Turn Off Living Room Lamp (L1)

You could also use N1 with standard brightness commands to trigger extended dimming levels although I haven't had a need to do that.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:35:35 PM by brobin »

brobin

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 05:58:23 PM »

I can get around the lack of X-10 extended format capability in the Smartenit Harmony by using X-10 scenes in my SwitchLincs, KeypadLincs, and 2456D3 LampLincs. 

So in your house that has the Harmony P2, if the internet is down, the app can’t be used for control, but your user-created program (schedules, etc) that is stored in the P2 will still execute properly?

What about power failures.  Do the P2 and G2 recover properly from a power failure and then continue to execute the user-created program without any sort of intervention or reset being necessary?

Yes to both. The internet connection to the mothership is only needed to connect to the app and, of course, send any notifications/emails.  Reboot after a power failure is automatic. 

JoeHoll

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 02:04:36 PM »

I see that many of the power users here aren't impressed with the WM100. They seem to have discovered many shortcomings which is too bad. I just thought it was worth mentioning that if you only control a small number of things with X-10, and have basic reliability improvers like a bridge repeater, the WM100 works like a champ. It is a big improvement over using mini-timers or serial connected gadgets to a host computer. I have lights and the coffee maker on X-10. I only use four channels in my house. The WM100 makes programming much easier than the mini-timer, which couldn't differentiate week days from weekends. The computer based gadget that I tried sent out such a weak signal that it was basically useless. (sorry, I don't remember it's P/N) If you are simple, like I am, and only want to control a few things, the WM100 and a few X-10 modules is a great way to go.

brobin

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2020, 02:33:24 PM »

I see that many of the power users here aren't impressed with the WM100. They seem to have discovered many shortcomings which is too bad. I just thought it was worth mentioning that if you only control a small number of things with X-10, and have basic reliability improvers like a bridge repeater, the WM100 works like a champ. It is a big improvement over using mini-timers or serial connected gadgets to a host computer. I have lights and the coffee maker on X-10. I only use four channels in my house. The WM100 makes programming much easier than the mini-timer, which couldn't differentiate week days from weekends. The computer based gadget that I tried sent out such a weak signal that it was basically useless. (sorry, I don't remember it's P/N) If you are simple, like I am, and only want to control a few things, the WM100 and a few X-10 modules is a great way to go.

It is what it is but for less money (only $59.95!) you can get everything the WM100 offers and much more. Like Alexa/Google Home control baked in, a real time clock and compatibility with not only X10 but Insteon and ZigBee included.  All with a simple intuitive app and web portal.  Anyone looking to buy a WM100 would be well served to have a look at the Smartenit P2 bundled with a 2412U PLM at https://smartenit.com/product/harmony-p2/  for $59.95.

AMXoldhack

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 08:40:34 PM »

Yes to both. The internet connection to the mothership is only needed to connect to the app and, of course, send any notifications/emails.  Reboot after a power failure is automatic.

Not sure I'll get a reply on a three month old thread, BWTH. harmoney's web site says the P2 will work with local connectivity.
I've read a whole range of opinions on this in the home automation community. I've asked smatenit to clear this up. B:(

brobin

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2020, 11:27:05 PM »

The G2 has built in WiFi so you can connect the phone to the G2's SSID and do local control although I've never had a need or opportunity to try that.  The P2 is Ethernet only so I'd imagine that you would connect to the IP address of the P2 to access it.  Again, I've never tried it but I'll play with it and post more info if I can figure anything out.

I can tell you that both the P2 & G2 will continue to execute the schedules without an internet connection.  Of course notifications and emails would still need internet to function. 

brobin

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 12:34:58 PM »

Here's the official response from Smartenit:

Local connection is not supported on the P2, only supported on the G2 currently. 

It works by having the MobileApp send requests to the G2 through the local network (internet connectivity is not needed, but a local network is needed).

AMXoldhack

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2020, 12:06:09 AM »

Local connection is not supported on the P2, only supported on the G2 currently. 

It works by having the MobileApp send requests to the G2 through the local network (internet connectivity is not needed, but a local network is needed).

I've also sent a request through Smartenit's for the same info. I do trust that the X10 dongle I also order will give me two way X10 communication (powerline only :(  ).
I do wonder if if I'm going to have to jump through hoops - do I have to configure their iPhone app to NOT knee jerk to the internet and talk directly to their their hub through my my WiFi/LAN connection?

brobin

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2020, 12:47:54 AM »

The Insteon PLM (the "X10 dongle") does two way X10 signaling as well as Insteon signals.  As for the internet vs. local network, the P2 I believe requires internet to connect to the app while the G2 does not.  I'm curious though, why wouldn't you want it connecting to the internet?  If you plan on using Alexa or Google Home with it, an internet connection is absolutely necessary.

Note that whatever timers/schedules you create are stored in and executed by the P2/G2 locally and require no network activity.  There is also a web portal at console.smartenit.io where you can log in and work with the device.

AMXoldhack

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2020, 12:11:10 PM »

Brobin,
First let me thank you you for your responses. It seems you are the only one responding to this thread.
I did get my response from Smartenit:

"Yes, indeed. The app tries to connect within the LAN. If it doesn't find a gateway, then it connects to the cloud

Regards,

Al

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020, 8:27 PM Smartenit <contact-form@smartenit.com> wrote:

The user called Christopher sent you the following message

I'm sure I contacted Smartenit about the capabilities of your Harmoney P2. But can find no trace of it. Can this hub connect to your  iphone app through my wifi or local LAN without an internet connection? This is critical to my purchase."

It's not that I don't want to connect to the internet at this time, I just do not want to depend on it.
I only plan on being able to turn on/off X10 moduals and run a few macros with the iPhone smartenit app.
I may, in time slowly migate into Insteon products as the prices continually keep coming down.

Your previous reply:

You and the previously quoted message from Al at smartenit both appear to be quite knowledgeable on this subject.
See my dilemma?

I plan to shift control of ~60 legacy X10 moduals spread out over 6 house codes.
Want to migrate away from my current AMX Axcess installation. It's wired buss is way too sensitive to EMF surges.
No plans at this time for voice command.

brobin

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2020, 12:34:03 PM »

I have both the P2 and G2 installed.  I only use the G2 but, since I no longer have a second home for the P2, I plugged it in to use for playing around with new things.  I've never had an internet outage of more than an hour (Hurricane Irma excepted) so I haven't done any local control.  I pretty much rely on Alexa for 'manual' control albeit reliant on the internet.  Perhaps late tonight I can unplug the cable modem, try both and report what happens. 

AMXoldhack

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2020, 11:28:42 PM »

looking forward to what you discover.
buying a home automation hub will be a quantum jump foreword for me.
currently, i have to sort through almost 5 thousands lines of c code to re wright my home 10 automation macros. :) Legacy is hard work to keep it going. :(
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 11:30:49 PM by AMXoldhack »

brobin

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2020, 01:44:43 AM »

I did some testing as promised.  As expected, the P2 does not offer local connect.  The G2 can be accessed by selecting it's SSID and connecting directly.  A bit awkward though and limited range.  If we were to lose internet, as we did for 10 days after Irma hit a couple of years ago, I'd tether my phone's unlimited data plan to to my router to maintain a connection for everything in the house.  During the month after Irma hit, most carriers enabled expanded or unlimited data to all affected customers that didn't already have unlimited data.
Of course, that only works if you still have power.  We have a 48KW generator that ran continuously for the 9 days we had no power so the tethering worked but a bit slow.   

I know it's hard to trust an internet connection but unless you're in an underserved area it should be as reliable as as electricity or any other utility.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.