Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problem restoring HG config to new Raspian image  (Read 2003 times)

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Problem restoring HG config to new Raspian image
« on: January 17, 2020, 06:09:55 PM »

I got another SD card and figured I would install the new Raspian image to that card.  I first made a back up of the settings from HG and saved on my desktop computer.

Then I went thru the instructions to get the image for the new 1.10 image here: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30714.0
and got it onto the new SD card.

I then shutdown my PiX10Hub and removed the old SD card and inserted the new one.  I turned on the Pi and the new card booted up just find and I could access it at the same IP address as the prior one.  I then tried to restore the HG backup of my settings - it got to a point where it asked which programs I wanted to restore - I picked them all, and away it went.   It mentioned it could take awhile.

It was running for over an hour and a half and seemed to just hang.   I proceeded to close my browser window and launch a new one and access hte pi again.   I can pull it up just find but I cannot seem to get my back up of my prior settings to load in to HG.

Thoughts ?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Problem restoring HG config to new Raspian image
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 07:01:39 PM »

Did you do a update / upgrade? there has been a big mono update and others since I put the Buster image up.
You can try reverting to factory then install your backup.
How old was the backup?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 07:05:46 PM »

I did not do an update - how can I do that?

The backup of my HG settings was from today.   I can try the factory reset then restore tomorrow.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 09:24:11 PM »

I tried to troubleshoot a similar problem for another HG user on the HG forum but unfortunately he didn't follow the troubleshooting process to a logical conclusion as the problem according to him sorted itself out. Now there's a similar problem.

What i suggest you do is download the image again and try again. I dont maintain this image but there's a good chance that your original download was corrupted. Once you have completed this try your backup/restore again. Report back here on your progress. I have a rough idea what might be your problem but won't comment until you verify you have a clean download.

soxfan1966

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 07:30:21 AM »

I was having issues with my old SD card yesterday after getting it back in the Pi where HG was not actually turning any X10 devices on or off.  Not sure if the CM15A was not plugged in all the way or if I possibly damaged the antenna on it but I have the new SD card in this morning and just went thru some instructions to update the OS on the SD card to the latest version.

I am now first going to try and do a factory reset of HG then restore my backup and if that does not work I will try starting over with a new image on the SD card again as petra suggested.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 07:47:15 AM »

I was having issues with my old SD card yesterday after getting it back in the Pi where HG was not actually turning any X10 devices on or off.  Not sure if the CM15A was not plugged in all the way or if I possibly damaged the antenna on it but I have the new SD card in this morning and just went thru some instructions to update the OS on the SD card to the latest version.

I am now first going to try and do a factory reset of HG then restore my backup and if that does not work I will try starting over with a new image on the SD card again as petra suggested.

Generally the CM15 issue is solved by unplugging it from the power supply. You will see the X in the top right corner of the screen go grey and then plugging the CM15 power supply back in and the X in the top right hand corner of the screen will go white again. In some cases the CM15 gets flooded with X10 signals and this method will clear the memory. I'm assuming here you have no batteries in your CM15.

soxfan1966

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 08:06:30 AM »

Thank you both for the assistance.  Good to know about unplugging the CM15 - as you noted that worked (and I do not have batteries in it).  Was afraid I had broken it while moving it around.

Also the update to the OS followed by the Factory Reset and then restoring my backup settings worked.  Some notes on that:

1) The port will revert back to 80 when you do the factory reset (I had been using 8080).  So you will to reload your browser for that.
2) The prior background I was using appears to be no longer part of the options, so when the restored settings went thru the process of and I got back to the Home display my background was missing.  I just picked one of the others available, but wanted to mention it.
3) I then had to clean up the Demo modules as they did not get overwritten by the restore.  I did thins from the Module Cleanup option on the Settings.

Aside from that everything is back up and running.   I am going to store my old SD card away and keep it as a backup should I ever need it.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 09:10:08 AM »

For anyone taking an image of their HG setup for system rescue purposes, remember that image will only get you back to the point where you created that image on that particular day. You may want to take an image a little more frequently. I suggest keeping two images on your hard disk and rotating them on an oldest becomes newest basis.

Obviously if you use a 64gb SD card you create a 64gb image. Quite large when you have two or more images in storage. This very easy to install and use utility in Linux can reduce your back up image from 64gb to around 2gb which gives you plenty of scope to take and retain more frequent backup images.

Here's the link to installing Pi Shrink this image compression utility  https://github.com/Drewsif/PiShrink If you want any further info on this just post back here. You can of course clone your SD while it's running on your Raspberry Pi but that's for another post.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »

Here's the link to installing Pi Shrink this image compression utility  https://github.com/Drewsif/PiShrink If you want any further info on this just post back here. You can of course clone your SD while it's running on your Raspberry Pi but that's for another post.
I can varify that this tool/script works, It is what I use to shrink the PiX10Hub image for downloading from A Linux machine.
I've not tested it on a running Pi but given how well it works on Linux it should work fine provided you had enough free space
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 05:49:57 PM »

The alternative to creating an image on your PC is to keep a second microSD card installed in a USB -> microSD adapter plugged into an unused USB port.  Then, use RPiClone with a crontab event or use a script in HG run at intervals of your discretion to backup your system periodically.  This will only copy new files thus limiting writes to the SD and you can have a current state ready to swap any time you need to swap it in.  The only down side is, if you broke something and then used the backup that is also broken you will be in trouble.

So, my recommendation would be to keep a SD in the adapter up to date (daily/weekly backups) and a second that is manually backed up sitting in a drawer (or saved to a HD using PiShrink) that is performed after any major change is confirmed working so you can have 2 places to back up from.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.