Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HomeGenie Network Down???  (Read 5952 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: HomeGenie Network Down???
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 12:05:10 PM »

here is a notebook debug that just showed up on my desktop. Could this be related to problem if so what does it mean?
means the format of your SD card failed.
I occasionally will get that with a large SD card format this sometimes will affect an etcher image write and other times not.
since etcher wipes the SD card and rewrites a new image I've stopped formatting except for when the card is new.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

edjal

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 12:39:22 PM »

do you recommend removing sd and download img file to card again?

edjal

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 01:01:31 PM »

Do not have usb to hdmi adaptor was not able to see if image was available

edjal

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 01:28:09 PM »

tuicemen I was not sure what your reference to etcher was so I went back to the original hg setup instructions and I have been using win32 disc imager not etcher. Its my impression now I have to start over and reinstall RPi buster. If I use win32 disc imager do I need to format the used sd card?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 02:47:24 PM »

I've not used win32 disk imager since doing the tutorial I found etcher so much faster and easier to use.
So I'm unsure if a format is actually required.
with win 32 it is easier to mess things up if your not careful
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 05:04:29 PM »

Guys there's a host of tools in Linux for repairing boot sector and partition errors. Download Gparted and it's all there in front of you. And free of course. No need to keep pressing the nuclear option every time. You don't have any messy Windows partitions to worry about in Raspbian. You could have that card back up and running in no time without having to reinstall.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 05:26:05 PM »

Guys there's a host of tools in Linux for repairing boot sector and partition errors. Download Gparted and it's all there in front of you. And free of course. No need to keep pressing the nuclear option every time. You don't have any messy Windows partitions to worry about in Raspbian. You could have that card back up and running in no time without having to reinstall.
true there are a ton of tools in Linux just like any OS however in this case edjal couldn't access the card and had no backup(again).
I don't know about anyone else but when my HA-Setup goes down I want it back up as quick as possible no messing around with tools That's why I have a back up SD card, my setup can be back up in seconds then I can play with tools if I want to kill time.
Issues edjal has posted about is the classic reason for having a back up of not just your HG but the whole SD card.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

edjal

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 05:47:02 PM »

I'm so sorry to burden you experts in this field, as I'm sure you figured out I am not efficient or expert. I only know one language English. I can't express enough how much I do appreciated all help and suggestions here. I have downloaded x10 raspian buster to pc again downloaded to image disc file to SD using etcher, setup localization SSID expanded file system and  it is going through its update now. Are you guys suggesting I backup to another sd before I configure the modules I use and before I set up my scheduler?

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 05:51:07 PM »

true there are a ton of tools in Linux just like any OS however in this case edjal couldn't access the card and had no backup(again).
I don't know about anyone else but when my HA-Setup goes down I want it back up as quick as possible no messing around with tools That's why I have a back up SD card, my setup can be back up in seconds then I can play with tools if I want to kill time.
Issues edjal has posted about is the classic reason for having a back up of not just your HG but the whole SD card.

It's been all said time and time again. Just falls on deaf ears. The tools are there for a reason. They educate the user about the OS they are using. Nobody here has any interest in learning about Linux hence the repetitive posts like "my system has gone down, what do I do next". I think the subject matter in the OP says it all really.

A million ways to install HG buy not one idea how to use it. Nothing negative here. Just the facts. That's why people who could help here have lost interest.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 05:55:55 PM »

Are you guys suggesting I backup to another sd before I configure the modules I use and before I set up my scheduler?
yes! then again once you have everything the way you wish, it will save you hours of time redoing your setup. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

edjal

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2020, 06:30:55 PM »

Thank You for your recommendation  petera I will investigate  tools on Gparted you suggested. hopefully I can figure out how to use it in the future.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2020, 07:08:22 PM »

Nobody here has any interest in learning about Linux hence the repetitive posts like "my system has gone down, what do I do next". I think the subject matter in the OP says it all really.
No one here wants to learn any OS it isn't just related to Linux.
Asking questions is the best and fastest way to learn.
We can't dictate how anyone learns or how fast. You pointed edjal to a fishing pole (Gparted) but not mentioned how to use it. Even with all the documentation some of the Linux jargon is confusing to a Linux newbie. Heck it is even confusing to me but I'm no expert.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 07:46:29 PM »

Nobody here has any interest in learning about Linux hence the repetitive posts like "my system has gone down, what do I do next". I think the subject matter in the OP says it all really.
No one here wants to learn any OS it isn't just related to Linux.
Asking questions is the best and fastest way to learn.
We can't dictate how anyone learns or how fast. You pointed edjal to a fishing pole (Gparted) but not mentioned how to use it. Even with all the documentation some of the Linux jargon is confusing to a Linux newbie. Heck it is even confusing to me but I'm no expert.

My whole point is and was before. It’s all been done. It’s out in the wild for anyone to do a Google. I point in the right direction and the user goes looking. I’m damned if I’m going to do all the work or rehash something that can be easily found with a keyword search, in this case Gparted. I’ve neither the time nor the inclination for all that.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.