Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 homes 2 wm100s  (Read 4442 times)

audiology

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
2 homes 2 wm100s
« on: January 31, 2020, 07:25:24 PM »

Is it possible to use a single Android phone with the x10 wifi app to control x10 / wm100 systems in two different homes?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: 2 homes 2 wm100s
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 08:16:49 AM »

No the wifi app currently only allows one WM100 connection at a time and will not store the info of a second WM100.
You can switch to another WM100 if your connected to its wifi and able to scan its QR code but to switch back you need to perform the same routine. (connect to existing hub)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 09:22:49 AM »

Is it possible to use a single Android phone with the x10 wifi app to control x10 / wm100 systems in two different homes?

Predictably, I'll chime in here with the solution I use. The Smartenit Harmony does everything that the WM100 is supposed to do and much more. You can control multiple units from the same app no matter where in the world they may be. AND, they work with Alexa & Google Home. X10, Insteon & Zigbee are supported. The P2 with a 2412s PLM is $60.
 https://smartenit.com/product-category/gateways-hubs/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:17:14 PM by brobin »

bevhoward

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 05:53:16 PM »

You CAN use the same phone to control two or more WM100's ...not easy, but dooable.

The trick is to take photos of the QR codes on each WM100 and print them out.

Once you set up the WM100's in multiple locations, the process to switch between WM100's is;

Start the WM100 app
If the app connects with the current device, or "times out"
Tap "Setup"
Tap "Reset to Factory Settings"
Confirm the "Warning" by Pressing "OK"
Select "Connect to an Existing HUB" (assuming that it's already been setup)

NOTE!  If you select "Connect to an Existing HUB" the data on the current hub WILL NOT BE ERASED!
Tap "Scan QR"
Scan the QR Photo for the desired WM100
Select "Sync Data from the WiFi Hub

One note... if the WM100's are not in the same timezone, you will need to set your phone's time to the timezone where the WM100 is located... for example, to remotely control devices in a different timezone.

Suggest keeping 1.5" square photos of each WM100 clearly marked as to which device they control with you.  Even if you have them someplace such as google photos, you will not be able to use them to switch between devices unless you are able to bring the desired photo up on another device for the "Scan QR" step.

Hope that this information is valuable,
Beverly Howard

Gary F

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 09:39:27 PM »

So bevhoward, you are saying that the phone and the wm100 can be on two different wifi networks and the x10 server can connect the two using the QR code from a wm100 that has previously been scanned into the system.  Have you actually used this process in practice?  I ask because it looks like Tuicemen thought the two would have to be on the same wifi network as is required for the initial setup.  Also I didn't see anyone else saying they had successfully accomplished it either.  I am certainly going to try it when I get back to my other location and can take a picture of my other units QR code.  The time zone thing seems a bit strange to me but all my units are in the same time zone so I don't have to worry about it.  Thanks for giving me something to try.  In the mean time I will look for a topic on the bluestacks android emulator and see if anyone else has had my problem where the app says that the wifi network is bluestacks instead of my actual wifi network name.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 06:35:46 AM »

In my tests with my two wm100 homes my phone had to be on the same network as the Wm100 QR code I scanned. However l only tested this once. Not being at the home of the WM100 I was attempting to connect to l don't  know if the network there may have had a connection issue.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

radioguy1007

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 03:00:41 PM »

I have a WM100 at both my residence and at my lake home 30 miles away (separate router, cable modem, IP address).  I have the lake home on an old phone and my residence one on my active phone.  I can control the respective WM100 on each bonded phone from either location.  Sounds like what Beverly Howard is doing but I do not have to rescan the QR codes.  I can also control either location from work.  Yes, I do have to carry 2 phones.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.