Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help with XPT wall mounted controller  (Read 1330 times)

x10noobie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help with XPT wall mounted controller
« on: February 09, 2020, 05:53:41 PM »

First off, this seems like a friendly forum to look for some help.   I did some searching here but couldn't find anything.

I have a room light switch that would sporadically not switch off when hitting the off button.  I decided to swap the switch with a basic light switch.  Pulling the old one I see it's an X10 XPT wall controller, single button switch.  I've been in this older house for over 4 years and had no idea of any X10 automation here.  There is nothing else X10 in the house from what I can find.

The dumb switch I put on won't work.  Light stays on regardless of on or off.  This should be a single pole installation because that's the only switch that controls that light but there a multiple black and white wires in the box.

I'm X10 noob so are those extra wires X10 related?  How can I make it a basic dumb switch again?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Help with XPT wall mounted controller
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 06:07:32 PM »

The XPT is a transmitter the light that it turned on/off must have a X10 receiver wired in.
You most likely will need to look at it as that XPT may be the only way to turn it on off unless you have another X10 PLC transmitter.
http://www.authinx.com/manuals/X10/XPT.pdf
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 06:19:59 PM »

You are lucky you did not trip a circuit breaker. The XPT uses a Line and Neutral. Putting a standard swiitch on the two wires could short the Line to Neutral when turned On.

If the Black are all connected together and Whites are all connected together   It is a junction box to connect the Lines together and Neutrals together.

If you can't find an X10 wall switch controlling the light. The fixture may have a X10 Fixture module inside it.
Dimmer https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/modules/lamp-modules/xpdf-inline-dimmable-receiver-module.html
On/Off https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/modules/appliance-modules/xpfm.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 06:24:10 PM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »

You are lucky you did not trip a circuit breaker.
or worse. It may be possible the only way to control that light is with some sort of smart switch. The fact that the light sometimes works and other times doesn't is a sign of line noise or a signal sucker. You might wish to look into what is plugged in when the light can't be controlled with the XPT.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

x10noobie

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 06:46:47 PM »

Thanks!  Looks like that wasn't the smartest decision to do the dumb switch. 

Should I just order a new XPT wall controller?  I do have an Innovelli red series switch, should I try that instead?

And I noticed I probably posted this in the wrong forum but really appreciate the responses!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 08:22:30 PM »

Thanks!  Looks like that wasn't the smartest decision to do the dumb switch. 

Should I just order a new XPT wall controller?  I do have an Innovelli red series switch, should I try that instead?

And I noticed I probably posted this in the wrong forum but really appreciate the responses!
there is no reason to get a new switch until you have investigated the noise or signal sucker possibilities.
I move the thread to the correct section.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 08:39:23 PM »

Jeff has some good troubleshooting tutorials. That may help you with signal issues. Like noise, signal suckers and coupling between the two incoming power lines. I would check for communications issues before changing the original one.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

If you do eventually decide to try a new XPT and use the original one button face plate. Check the one you have now for its revision. The face plates and main body revisions have to be the same. The newer 'A' models are not interchangeable with the older ones.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/XPT_UPDATE
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:21:24 AM by Brian H »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 06:32:45 PM »

If you put a plain old wall switch across the two leads (hot & neutral) and it didn't trip the breaker, melt or explode in your hands when you turned it on I'd check to see if there's actually any power there.  If there isn't, what you have may be fine once power is restored. Have you checked to see if any breakers are tripped at your service panel?

x10noobie

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 11:37:31 PM »

Yeah, it tripped a breaker.  Got it on the off switch with tape over it for now and will try to digest Brian's links and Tuiceman's ideas when I get some time on the weekend. 

Appreciate the feedback from everybody.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.