Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: HG Update Check  (Read 7433 times)

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
HG Update Check
« on: February 13, 2020, 01:57:39 PM »

Does the HG Update Check function work? When I select it, the activity wheel just spins.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: HG Update Check
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 11:35:17 AM »

Yes it works a yellow arrow will display top right of HG page if there is one.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 12:31:51 PM »

Saying it works is somewhat misleading.  The author (Gene) set the update system to check for official releases on his Github repository.  He has not been active on the project in a long time (a couple small updates over the last ~2 years).  Although the update check does technically still work, it is not likely to ever do anything.

So, I guess the answer is:  Yes, it works but it will never do anything.  :-\

Moose

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 01:53:18 PM »

This is pretty funny. I logged in today, after trying the update function yesterday, and guess what. There are two small updates sitting there, waiting for me. rofl

Question though, I closed the browser on my desktop PC that I use to access HG and shut it down for the night. Powered up the desktop this AM and tried to open the browser to log in, and nothing. Had to reboot the Pi to get access. Any thoughts??

Another question. I am sitting here watching HG, and in the upper right I see a screen pop up saying "Homgenie Eventstream disconnected"  followed by "Homegenie Eventream connected". They alternate about every minute.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 02:32:15 PM by Moose »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 05:31:29 PM »

Github shows there was some kind of change 3 months ago and then 8 months for the previous update.  These are not releases but changes to the source.  As for updates, the latest two were v1.3-stable.3 and 4 released April 2019.  If you haven't updated in the last year, then there would be a couple updates.  But keep in mind, that update appears to only address a few specific bugs from the looks of the change log.  It wouldn't hurt to update but it is unlikely you will see much from it (unless you are affected by the fixes).

Moose

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 05:50:35 PM »

I found and installed 2 small updates today. Not sure if that started my problems. Can anyone point me to a script to uninstall and reinstall just HG?

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 07:10:18 PM »

I found and installed 2 small updates today. Not sure if that started my problems. Can anyone point me to a script to uninstall and reinstall just HG?

This is a bit of a saga. Assuming you're install is screwed for some reason, open a PuTTY session in Windows, and I'm assuming you are a Windows user and HG is installed in the pi/home/homegenie folder just copy/paste the following commands

cd

wget https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/releases/download/v1.3-stable.5/homegenie_1.3-stable.5.tgz

tar xzvf homegenie_1.3-stable.5.tgz

You now have the latest version of HG straight from the author and there's plenty of tutorials on how to create widgets etc. Please let us know that you are back in business.

Moose

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 09:24:28 PM »

petera, do I need to do an uninstall first? and yes, your other assumptions are correct.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 09:49:23 PM »

No!!!!

Moose

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 08:36:55 AM »

So, I reinstalled HG this AM. I have managed to get some modules on the desktop and name them. Then HG disconnects and reconnects again, over and over. I also get update installed messages repeatedly.

I am starting over with a 3rd download of Buster 4.  :'  Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:40:37 AM by Moose »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 10:47:13 AM »

I really see no point doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome

The constant Event connected/disconnected is not unusual and usually points to either a connection between the client and the server and/or the particular browser that you are using. No two browsers have the exact same properties and HG reacts differently with each.

Not knowing what source you installed HG from makes it difficult to troubleshoot. Have you any other server software running on the SD card that may be interfering with normal operation of the HG server. Also bear in mind that if you use a Pi Zero you can expect a certain performance drop in client/server operation.

I do recommend that when you finally have the Pi setup with HG to come back here for further assistance. Don’t waste any more of your time reinstalling Raspbian though. That’s not your problem.

Moose

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 11:19:36 AM »

I really see no point doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome

The constant Event connected/disconnected is not unusual and usually points to either a connection between the client and the server and/or the particular browser that you are using. No two browsers have the exact same properties and HG reacts differently with each.

Not knowing what source you installed HG from makes it difficult to troubleshoot. Have you any other server software running on the SD card that may be interfering with normal operation of the HG server. Also bear in mind that if you use a Pi Zero you can expect a certain performance drop in client/server operation.

I do recommend that when you finally have the Pi setup with HG to come back here for further assistance. Don’t waste any more of your time reinstalling Raspbian though. That’s not your problem.

I chose to reinstall in the complete absence of another idea. -:) I have been installing Tuicemen's image of Buster 4. There is no other software on the SD card. Each install involved clearing and reformatting the card. I am using a Pi 3b+, not a zero.

I tried using Edge instead of Chrome with really no difference. Besides disconnecting and reconnecting, I also get messages of "update install completed", over and over.

I am lost and open to any suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 11:27:26 AM by Moose »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 11:36:53 AM »

I chose to reinstall in the complete absence of another idea. -:) I have been installing Tuicemen's image of Buster 4. There is no other software on the SD card. Each install involved clearing and reformatting the card. I am using a Pi 3b+, not a zero.

I tried using Edge instead of Chrome with really no difference. Besides disconnecting and reconnecting, I also get messages of "update install completed", over and over.

I am lost and open to any suggestions.

Ok go to Configure and select About and tell us what version of HG the system is reporting as installed

Moose

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 11:40:18 AM »

HomeGenie Version v1.3-stable.5

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 11:44:40 AM »

That’s the latest version. So where are these updates being reported.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.