Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: I need help to get started- Homegenie and X10  (Read 15019 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: I need help to get started- Homegenie and X10
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 08:11:08 PM »

If upnp is enabled disable it. If you still have errors disable x10 to see if that stops the errors.  It is possible your cm19 is faulty. I did test my 3b* with a cm19 and had no issues however to get the most out of HG I'd recommend a cm15.

I originally tried setting up with a Cm19. But when I wasn't having any luck with the HA Bridge populating, I switched to a CM15A. I don't think that was my problem. But the CM15A did seem better suited for HG.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 07:13:32 AM »

It is possible your cm19 is faulty. I did test my 3b* with a cm19 and had no issues however to get the most out of HG I'd recommend a cm15.
  What is the amp. rating for your Pi power supply? Mine is 2.5 amps. I have just ordered a 3 amp, just in case.
I use the official power supply for the 3b+ however I do still have under voltage conditions even with running just the lite OS (no GUI).
These are evident if you connect a monitor and keyboard to the pi.
You will actually get an under voltage message and possibly even a yellow lightening bolt in the top right corner of the monitor.
Interestingly this condition doesn't stop HG from being able to use my cm19 nor do I get mono crash logs. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 03:43:07 PM »

If the OP wants to increase the power available to USB ports it’s just a simple case of adding max_usb_current=1 to the config file. It’s that simple. The problem here lies deeper though and is probably down to those awful PSU’s bundled with the starter packs. Cheap regulators usually cause low voltage drops which equals a reboot sequence to a Raspberry Pi and toasted SD cards. A warning on playing around with the config file. Make sure you know what you’re doing.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 04:37:17 PM »

In my case the under voltage isn't the power supply but the board itself or the power port. I've used several different PS  with no changes and not attempted to run power directly to the board yet. In my case that may be the only solution.  As my PSU is not one bundled with a starter pack nor the others I tested I can't  believe all were/are bad. I only posted away to test for the under voltage condition not a fix as I've not found one for my Pi3B+.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2020, 05:41:10 PM »

In my case the under voltage isn't the power supply but the board itself or the power port. I've used several different PS  with no changes and not attempted to run power directly to the board yet. In my case that may be the only solution.  As my PSU is not one bundled with a starter pack nor the others I tested I can't  believe all were/are bad. I only posted away to test for the under voltage condition not a fix as I've not found one for my Pi3B+.

They’re so cheap I wouldn’t waste time trying to fix it. Just replace it. I must admit since buying the Pi 1 back in 2012 I’ve yet to have one go bad. Don’t do fried Raspberry Pi here. Don’t like the smell of it  rofl

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »

rofl I don't imagine I'd like fried pi either. Thats the main reason Ive not tried the direct connect method.
My Pi 3B+ has been desigated as a test pi and will remain that way untill one of my zerro w boards no longer does its job. Still I may just get another newer model.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2020, 06:04:58 AM »

So, I ended up buying 4 power supply units. One had the USB C connector used on the Rasp PI 4.  >*< The other 3, two 3 amp and one 2.5 amp. ::), all performed the same. I even removed the bluetooth dongle for the keyboard and the HDMI monitor, again with no improvement.

Moose

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2020, 06:25:01 AM »

If the OP wants to increase the power available to USB ports it’s just a simple case of adding max_usb_current=1 to the config file. It’s that simple.

I looked into this. I wonder if this was configurable only on the older PI's because that parameter is not commented out in the config.txt file?  Anyway, I did add it in and rebooted, but it made no difference. So, I guess I will have to order a CM15A.  -:) :'

I will just mention again that the CM19A does work when used with AHP on my desktop. I did notice that when asserted from AHP, the "on" signal is about 5 sec. long.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2020, 06:25:49 AM »

So, I ended up buying 4 power supply units. One had the USB C connector used on the Rasp PI 4.  >*< The other 3, two 3 amp and one 2.5 amp. ::), all performed the same. I even removed the bluetooth dongle for the keyboard and the HDMI monitor, again with no improvement.

Can you outline exactly what setup hardware wise you are using. My suggested setup would be

Raspberry Pi 3b or 3b+
Power supply 2.5ah or greater
CM19
Reliable Class 10 micro SD card 16gb or greater.

Nothing else attached to the USB ports.

Do you know how to image an SD card with the latest version of Raspbian Buster that will boot with WiFi enabled and SSH access.

For HG software setup if you want to send me a PM I can provide you with a simple list of copy/paste instructions. This setup will successfully load the CM19 driver. I tested the installation on Monday:

Moose

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2020, 06:39:30 AM »

Can you outline exactly what setup hardware wise you are using. My suggested setup would be

Raspberry Pi 3b or 3b+
Power supply 2.5ah or greater
CM19
Reliable Class 10 micro SD card 16gb or greater.

Nothing else attached to the USB ports.

Do you know how to image an SD card with the latest version of Raspbian Buster that will boot with WiFi enabled and SSH access.

For HG software setup if you want to send me a PM I can provide you with a simple list of copy/paste instructions. This setup will successfully load the CM19 driver. I tested the installation on Monday:

I have everything configured as above, and it still does not work. I have PM'd you.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2020, 09:04:20 AM »

I'm getting your PMs. Could you stay on PM and just confirm the questions

Moose

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2020, 04:45:14 PM »

I am back at this project again. I gave up on the CM19 and now have the CM15 and the HG is working just fine.

I am now having issues getting the HA Bridge to function. I have two lights configured but they do not control the X10 lights. i have tried to follow Tuicemens script here but... http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30664.msg178626#msg178626

Any suggestions?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2020, 05:04:08 PM »

I am back at this project again. I gave up on the CM19 and now have the CM15 and the HG is working just fine.

I am now having issues getting the HA Bridge to function. I have two lights configured but they do not control the X10 lights. i have tried to follow Tuicemens script here but... http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30664.msg178626#msg178626

Any suggestions?
Do you mean you can't control them with HA-Bridge or from Alexa?
You should be able to test them from the device page pressing the on & off buttons
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 05:30:56 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Moose

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2020, 05:52:52 PM »

Any suggestions?
Do you mean you can't control them with HA-Bridge or from Alexa?
You should be able to test them from the device page pressing the on & off buttons

No, I cannot control from HA Bridge. While I was messing with the configuration, I was getting command responses on the screen, but no X10 results. I tweaked something and now I get error messages.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2020, 05:53:16 PM »

I am now having issues getting the HA Bridge to function.

Don't forget.... you have to tell Alexa to discover new devices.
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.