Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 90's Grunge and Alternative music  (Read 1294 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
90's Grunge and Alternative music
« on: February 13, 2020, 11:54:34 PM »

Today... while at the gym I put in my ear-buds and asked Alexa (on my phone's app) to play some 90's rock. Instead... my traveling companion.... chose to play 90's Grunge and Alternative music. I am not sure why I got this selection. But I did recognize the tunes. Even knew the words to a couple songs. No more MP3's. Just ask for what I want... at home or... anywhere. 

I am a big believer that today's Home Automation has very little to do with turning lights on and off anymore. I mean... if a power outage meant only losing our lighting... everyone would just light a few candles and move on.

But for me (at least) this stuff is more like Halo (after the Covenant is defeated) and a old retired Master Chief John-117 (or Dave-X10?) just enjoys this life of automation with a virtual artificial intelligence companion, Alexa (no-longer Cortana).

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: 90's Grunge and Alternative music
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 11:52:25 AM »

HomeAutomation never was just about turning lights on&off for me. In fact that was only ever maybe 20-40% of what I had automated. I added notifications, camera, phone & appliance automation very early in mysetup. Some of it before AHP came out. I was able to talk to my HA setup before Alexa with my flip phone. Granted things have gotten easier and more convenient with Alexa.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 12:29:27 PM »

Interesting that you consider earbuds in the same category as HA.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 01:40:43 PM »

Interesting that you consider earbuds in the same category as HA.

Really? You wouldn't consider a PC, Apple, or Pi device part of your automation setup.... or the human interface like a mouse or keyboard.

Sure once a.... VERY long time ago (like Tuicemen posted)... many of us moved past the PalmPad's and such. I guess.... we could create sub-sets of our automation set-up's... somehow. Maybe use property lines or apartment boundaries as the limits for HOME automation. Then even create sub-sets of the HOME... like lighting, coffee makers, entertainment, sprinklers. And sub-sets of the sub-sets.... such as cloud-based and non-cloud-based, computer controlled, and human manipulated (manual button pushing)?

OR.... maybe it's all just one natural extension of the Smart Home high tech automation. Which in my mind at least includes the use processors, human interfaces, cloud, AI, and even earbud technologies.   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:38:19 PM by HA Dave »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 05:26:39 PM »

If that were really true then we reached the golden age many many years ago.  I had a turn table auto changer in the early 80's but they were invented in the 1920's.  So, We've officially been in the golden age of automation for 100 years.

HAPPY CENTENNIAL EVERYBODY!!!   >!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 05:34:18 PM »

Which in my mind at least includes the use processors, human interfaces, cloud, AI, and even earbud technologies.

All just different ways to push buttons.  Like using a car phone to turn on the hot tub with a TR551 in 1984 (impressed the hell out of my then future wife!).  Now if AI knew that it was Valentine's Day and I sent flowers and had a reservation at a very nice restaurant and turned on the hot tub by itself to be be warmed up at the right time I'd be impressed!  :)%

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 08:30:42 PM »

Which in my mind at least includes the use processors, human interfaces, cloud, AI, and even earbud technologies.

All just different ways to push buttons.

Exactly! 

Like using a car phone to turn on the hot tub with a TR551 in 1984 (impressed the hell out of my then future wife!).

Always nice to have a showy, impressive hunk of tech, built into a system.

Now if AI knew that it was Valentine's Day and I sent flowers and had a reservation at a very nice restaurant and turned on the hot tub by itself to be be warmed up at the right time I'd be impressed!  :)%

AI seems to be creeping up on us a little more subtly than your example. I think most people.... haven't even noticed some of the many little changes right under their noses. Like reminders to stop at a store/business that is on your to-do-list when you're driving near it [anyway]. Or a warning of traffic delays between where you are... and where you would be normally heading at about that time/day. Both of which I've seen. Or.... a suggestion of "Grunge" music... when I asked for rock. 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:45:39 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 08:36:37 PM »

.... we reached the golden age many many years ago. 

Actually like with MOST activities, sports, and hobbies... golden ages can pop-up from time-to-time over many years, decades, or even centuries.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.