Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PC Free! Well.... maybe... sorta  (Read 1815 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
PC Free! Well.... maybe... sorta
« on: February 19, 2020, 02:45:30 PM »

I remember the days when my (IBM compatible) Windows PC took up the best real-estate in the living room. Then, for a period a room of it’s own. But for many many years... my “most used computer” was actually a laptop (there has been a few of them). But... lately my phone has replaced even my newest lightweight windows machine.

And today... I bought a tiny little Logitech [K380] keyboard. And I might be turning PC free. This post was done via my iPhone and BT keyboard.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: PC Free! Well.... maybe... sorta
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 04:55:48 PM »

I find myself also doing more and more surfing and forum posting with my phone. Even my Home Automation has moved totaly off of the PC and on  to a SBC (pi).
However I still prefer a large monitor and full size keyboard.
These too can possibly be used with a phone.
I still enjoy the power of my PC just not the lack of its mobility.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 07:53:37 PM »

I find myself also doing more and more surfing and forum posting with my phone. Even my Home Automation has moved totaly off of the PC and on  to a SBC (pi).
However I still prefer a large monitor and full size keyboard.

Even my "tiny little Logitech [K380] keyboard" is full (laptop) sized... it just doesn't have a number pad. It's easy enough to use. For being retired... I'd think I would have more spare time. But I haven't found a chance to try it yet.... but I am confident I can mirror my phone to the TV, and still be able to use the BT keyboard.

I still enjoy the power of my PC just not the lack of its mobility.

I would guess... there are plenty of programs that do require a serious processor and lots of ram [SDRAM]. My wife (and her daughter) have "gaming PC's". Myself... I just don't need that much. Most everything I do anymore is "app based". I think most the stuff I do has or soon will go in that direction.

I am sure I will still use a laptop (or maybe even a desktop) from time-to-time... and why not. But millions have already abandoned their home PC's (and landline phones) for a wireless mobile phone. I am just following along... with the way people are going.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:06:44 PM »

OK here it is me wirelessly typing on my BT keyboard, to the TV screen... via my Apple TV streaming device, from my iPhone. It’s works great.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:23:21 PM by HA Dave »

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 09:20:47 PM »

Ha! I've got two new i7s, enough storage and computing power to do as I wish, three 26" screens (one vertical for reading online newspapers) and I look forward to taking advantage of it all.

Sure, I have wireless kb and mouse, headless Pi and PCs for various purposes but I will never hold a device in my hands unless I have to.

I will not watch myself typing on a TV screen, I will use it to watch a show. And I will not watch a show on a small screen, I will use it to be more productive.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 08:39:54 AM »

... I will never hold a device in my hands unless I have to.

I will not watch myself typing on a TV screen, I will use it to watch a show. And I will not watch a show on a small screen, I will use it to be more productive.

I have always been a bit of a "news hound" and used to imagine retirement with several several newspapers delivered each morning and several hours of free time to sort through all the print. Thank God technology has changed all that for the better. Having the Internet news available 24/7 is wonderful for anyone who wants to say on top of current events. All the news.... and very little time spent digesting it.

I always recommend people keep an open mind.... as to how things are done.

I grew up when phone were for making phone calls. But that was a VERY long time ago. Times change... and I refuse to make MYSELF a prisoner of my own paradigm.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 02:09:36 AM »

There are plenty of people still using computers.  Some people only need to have access to email and Amazon these days, but that doesn't work for everyone.  If it does then a phone or tablet is plenty. For the rest, there are many options all the way up to high performance clusters.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 11:09:27 AM »

There are plenty of people still using computers.

Three towers (2-Win7 Pro and 1-XP), and a Win10 laptop for the two of us.  And a Win7 laptop for travel.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »

iMac - wired KB & mouse
MacMini - BT KB & mouse
Tower W7 Pro - BT KB & mouse
Tower w/Mobile Hard Disk Drive Rack - W7 Pro + 9 versions of Linux - BT KB & mouse
Lenova Q190 W10 Pro - 52" flatscreen - streaming - BT KB w/mousepad
Lenova Q190 W10 Pro - 27" monitor - main PC - BT KB & mouse
Several RPi - various flavors
Samsung SGH-T139 FlipPhone

Mobile Hard Disk Drive Rack...https://www.amazon.com/RH-10-Lian-Mobile-Hard-Drive/dp/B0012Q5AK6
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:46:57 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 12:06:25 PM »

Pffft, you guys have a long way to go to become PC free.   :o

I'm not sure how I could become PC free unless there is a way to program Arduino/ESP devices without a computer.  I'm sure it's possible, but since the Arduino IDE is on my Windows machine and they need a USB adapter that's kinda hard with a phone.  It's possible with a RPi I suppose.

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 03:28:28 PM »

I'm not sure how I could become PC free ............

I didn't mean to imply that anyone SHOULD be or become PC free. I just meant to report that as far as my particular setup is concerned I don't require a PC as much as I once did. Heck.... at one time... I ran both a tower PC and a laptop.... just for my Home Automation setup.

It took a LOT of home-based processing power back in the old days. The good thing about cloud processing automation is it's shared usage. That's a lot more efficient than PC's running 24/7.... everywhere. The new little hubs (even like the PiX10Hub) use so little energy to run.

It doesn't bother me if any or everyone else decides to run a PC in every-room. It's. just... we don't HAVE to. The HA stuff... is for more than just computer hobbyist now-a-days. 

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 04:31:18 PM »

I'm not sure how I could become PC free unless there is a way to program Arduino/ESP devices without a computer.  I'm sure it's possible, but since the Arduino IDE is on my Windows machine and they need a USB adapter that's kinda hard with a phone.  It's possible with a RPi I suppose.

Using this on the RPI to program the Arduino https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/program-arduino-uno-raspberry-pi

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 12:26:52 PM »

I've seen hats for the RPi and you could also just use the RX/TX pins to wire something up.  Also would be easy enough to just use an FTDI adapter to program via USB.

I was just suggesting that if anyone wants to have a modern HA setup, having access to a means to program Arduino/ESP/etc based devices must be available.  If you just want to let Amazon tell you what your HA setup looks like, then a fire tablet is probably all anyone needs since it has access to Amazon Prime ordering.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 04:18:51 PM »

...... I was just suggesting that if anyone wants to have a modern HA setup, having access to a means to program

Back years ago.... programming macros and such was very much a part of Home Automation. And years before that.... for many... Home Automation was merely an extension of a persons computing and/or computer programming hobbies.

But Home Automation is all grown up now. Any imaginative novice with a phone can put together an automated home. I guess that means phones have grown-up and changed a lot too. But either way.... Home Automation stands by itself now-a-days. Home Automation is no longer an extension of another hobby.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.