Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Alex10  (Read 4013 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Alex10
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2020, 10:23:05 AM »

You might have an old 4GB card lying around from an old phone but you can use larger. The benefit to a 4GB is that it's faster to copy an image for backup.

That setup is fairly complete and if you use all the components it's a fair price.  I can't find the card alone for much less though it's list price is $10.  Just be aware the Zero is fairly low powered compared to the RPi3 or RPi4.  If you are just doing HG, it will work fine but I would recommend the full board unless size is crucial.

Also, if you backup to a PC then 4GB is faster to perform the backup and will take up less space.  However, if you use RPiClone to duplicate the card contents to another device (anything connected to the RPi but I recommend another microSD for easy swap), then it doesn't take long at all and only duplicates used space rather than storing the empty partitioned space.

https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone

mike1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2020, 03:32:28 PM »

Hi Tuicemen,

I hope your doing well, here I am again, Alex10 won't load, everything was working pretty nicely. Not sure what happened, something changed. But Alex 10 won't load and doesnt load the Ha-bridge.

Unfortunately I have a demanding job, only have a few hours on the weekend to fuss with this. Just like to be able to control my devices remotely from work and when I get home.  So I want to commit to something quick and easy and that will work for the forseen future. I currently run about 35 or more x10 devices that I control thru Alexa makes my life easier.  So he we are at a cross roads.  thanks again and Brobin for all your help !!!  greatly appreciated !!!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2020, 04:21:11 PM »

These are the two easy alternatives I recommend: The PiAlexaHub if you don't mind setting up a Raspberry Pi or the Smartenit Harmony P2.  I've used both. 

The PiAlexaHub runs HAB without the Alex10 interface but if you're already comfortable with HAB that's not a problem. 

The Smartenit Harmony P2 uses an app and has an Alexa skill and, as a consumer product, is the most "quick and easy" solution.  From out of the box to Alexa control in under 30 minutes. That's what I've used now for almost a year.  Additionally, it gives you app control of all your devices as well as scheduling so you don't have to use AHP if you don't want to. The P2 updates automatically to remain compatible with any Alexa changes.  The Smartenit P2 and 2412U PLM bundle is $75 at https://smartenit.com/product/harmony-p2/

mike1

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2020, 04:40:18 PM »

Hi Brobin

Thanks I think the Harmony P2 is the way to go . So do i still use the cm15a? Also will i be able to control light brightness via Alexa voice etc. Any limitations?

Thxs again

brobin

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2020, 05:07:43 PM »

Yes, dimming is supported for both Alexa & Google Home.  The only limitation is if you have any X10 devices that need extended codes for dimming.

You do not need the CM15a with the P2. You do need the 2412U PLM that you'll find under "choose an option."  If you're running schedules with the CM15a you can continue to do so or run schedules from the P2 if you want.  I have two like-new CM15a's if anyone needs them  :'

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2020, 05:17:15 PM »

I've  been using the PiX10Hub ($5 pi zero w+cm15) solution with a now for a while. It takes about 1/2 hour to setup (depending on internet connecton) provides everythinh AHP did plus Alexa and so much more. However brobin's solution may be best suited for what you want.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike1

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2020, 06:29:23 PM »

Thxs so dimming is possible with x10? Like I stated previously I have over 35 to 40 x10 devices too expensive to replace. So your solution should work for me.
By the way it was a bridge corruption I put everything back except back to not finding devices this gets very frustrating!!!

brobin

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2020, 06:33:26 PM »

I don't do any dimming myself but according to the engineer I emailed at Smartenit, the answer is yes on dimming with Alexa. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2020, 06:35:54 PM »

The big issue is windows updates this messes with the windows defender java permission settings and HA-Bridge. I've never had a issue using a pi or linux and HA-Bridge.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike1

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2020, 08:27:02 AM »

Thxs guys I'm going to look into using Harmony. For now let me see if I can get java to work for now.

Best.
Mike

brobin

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2020, 10:34:04 AM »

I think you'll be happy with that decision. Always ready to answer any questions.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.