Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best media streaming tv box?  (Read 7917 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Best media streaming tv box?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 08:10:52 AM »

I've done the Hdmi thingy with laptops and tablets and they do work however don't like having to hook/unhook it each time.
I looked at projectors but don't realy have a place for it at the off grid place and LED tvs (depending on brand) can draw far less power.
Samsung TVs were the least power hungry led sets when I picked up the 40 inch one I use now. This does look tinny where it sits really need a 80 or larger (maybe when it dies).
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 10:44:28 AM »

I've done the Hdmi thingy with laptops and tablets and they do work however don't like having to hook/unhook it each time…..

I was thinking more of a permanent connection... 27/7 Alexa-entertainment-internet phone-interior camera, device. Although... a carry-in carry-home tablet would allow for downloading of movies using fast home broadband speeds. But the same could be accomplished with a flash-drive too.

So many options. That's where the technologies has taken us. So many different ways to take us where we think we might like to be. It all forces my old training to kick-in.... and I find myself mentally disassembling the old paradigms. It can be exhausting and time consuming as well.

I do enjoy my smart TV.... and so does the wife and grandkids. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 11:51:00 AM »

I do have a small smart TV in my office which was given to me but it is just to small for the off grid place. I'm  not sure you can even find a none smart TV at the local shops any more.   rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 12:08:15 PM »

Along this line:
How much data do these streaming video devices burn for those using them as primary entertainment?
We are not big TV watchers...maybe 10 - 12 hours /week, but our cable package is 100gb/month. That ain't gonna be enough, is it?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 12:39:20 PM »

A two hour Netflix movie streamed with a variable bit rate could burn as much as 7gb so 12 hours would burn about 42gb. You should be OK.

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2020, 03:18:22 PM »

Along this line:
How much data do these streaming video devices burn for those using them as primary entertainment?
We are not big TV watchers...maybe 10 - 12 hours /week, but our cable package is 100gb/month. That ain't gonna be enough, is it?

An interesting question. brobin's answer is as good as any. I already cut the cable... as far as TV provider... I still use my cable company's offering for "Internet service".

So now.... I use an antenna for local TV broadcasts. And I stream "content".... which can be a variety of shows, movies, news, even server based images and video as well as games, facebook…… the list goes on.

I am not sure the old words and terms mean much with todays new services and/or ways to view/use "media"

I've found cutting the cord (as it is called... although NO CORDS were ever cut)... has altered the way I use both media and content. Which interestingly has really been more of an exercise in time management. Saying that cutting the cord has freed-up extra time... for me... would be a real understatment.

I used to watch the news in the morning (and sometimes into mid-day) often while also surfing the web. Letting one of the 24hour news services run on, while checking email, facebook, forums, etc..

But the news apps (I now stream to the TV)... when properly setup for my own interests run a very short cycle. Which doesn't eat-up so much time. I had also noticed I could do most of my FaceBook, and information surfing during forced bits of downtime using my phone. So I've also made procedural changes with my Internet use... to better use my phone for causal surfing. As a result.... I find myself spending far less of my spare time in my easy chair. Of course... since I am retired.... that means just plane less time sitting.

It's really amazing how far less idle I am now.

I know many won't see how this has anything to do with Home Automation. But in actuality.... I think this is exactly what automation is all about. Altering our lifestyles.... through the use of automated technologies and altered habits (the man-machine interconnection). Some may (or could) get more work done. Others may enjoy more recreation. But I am sure most will just do more of what they had done previously.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2020, 06:07:34 PM »

A two hour Netflix movie streamed with a variable bit rate could burn as much as 7gb so 12 hours would burn about 42gb. You should be OK.
Thanks!!
But according to the cable company we burn around 70gb/month just listening to Pandora and surfing, so it looks like I may have to bump it up. Makes me mad.... the cable company sold out to "Sparklight". Prior to the takeover we had 1000gb. sigh.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2020, 06:18:49 PM »

Sounds like you need to call them and negotiate.  I do that with Comcast every couple of years when whatever promo I'm on expires.  I do the little dance about canceling until they give me something the same or less than what I had.  Last time I kept saying no till they finally asked if I'd like the "Latino" package which gave me a higher tier of channels plus all the Latino channels (I don't habla espanol) and 200mbps internet with no data caps for $90 plus tax and 'fees'.  I said "Si & Bueno!" to that deal!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 08:06:03 PM by brobin »

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »

Hmm, caps on data from a cable carrier? Nothing like that east of the Hudson. At least that I'm aware of.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2020, 07:22:55 AM »

We renegotiate every couple of years too in the city cable company kept lowering our speed and cap and raising the price.now we have unlimited and a faster modem for same price. This last time they cut the price increase in half.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2020, 03:23:46 PM »

Sounds like you need to call them and negotiate.  I do that with Comcast every couple of years when whatever promo I'm on expires. ... I said "Si & Bueno!" to that deal!
Yeah, I do that every six months with Sirrus XM.

Every once in a while our cable company will do freebee previews to the Latino package. My wife caught me looking too long at the hoochie coochie ladies on the weather broadcast. Apparently I was way too interested in the weather around Chihuahua...so I could not take that offer even if Sparklight Communications offered it....sigh.  rofl

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2020, 03:25:53 PM »

Hmm, caps on data from a cable carrier? Nothing like that east of the Hudson. At least that I'm aware of.
I live in fly-over. Was not aware of anything east of the Hudson.  ;)

HA Dave

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2020, 08:48:39 PM »

I live at the "crossroads of America" (more or less) and we don't have data caps on cable or phones. But what I am really looking forward to.. is 5G. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2020, 07:27:12 AM »

5G should put an end to data caps and may bring an end to alot of wired connections. There is a cell tower 5 miles from my off grid place. I too am looking forward to 5G.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2020, 10:47:20 AM »

5G should put an end to data caps and may bring an end to alot of wired connections. There is a cell tower 5 miles from my off grid place. I too am looking forward to 5G.

The changes may not be over-night. But the potential is enormous. But... for those who worry about a surrender of anonymity or Internet device spying.... they might find it a little fearful.

We may very well be only a couple years (or so) within video-game and/or scifi-movie levels of technology. I am very much looking forward to the future... while still enjoying memories of the past... and everything today has to offer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.