Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Harmony P2 & Alexa  (Read 6582 times)

mike1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Harmony P2 & Alexa
« on: February 28, 2020, 02:36:49 AM »

Hi Tuicemen/Brobin

Just received and installed the P2 pretty simple  working nice. But Brobin since your using this setup. I'm having some issues with some of my x10 devices. One light turns on via the smartenit app and or alexa command but one will not turn off. One light doesnt come on at all. Also the dimming feature is that already built it or do you have to define it,? Again thank so much for the advice. Alexa recognized everything quickly and effortless!!!

Best
Mike

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Harmony P2 & Alexa
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 06:09:25 AM »

What X10 controller where you using before the P2?
From what I have read in some Insteon related forums. The 2412U PLM has a lower power line X10 voltage output than X10 interfaces. You now maybe running into power line signal issues.

On but not off and no control could be a power line issue. Though it also could be the way the P2 is doing things.
Brobin should have a better handle on a P2 than I do.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:28:27 AM by Brian H »

mike1

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 10:22:56 AM »

Hi Tuicemen I was using the cm15a. I moved all routines now to the p2. So yes I'm having issues controlling certain devices now, and dimming will ramp down but not up. I know Brobin has been using it so he might have some insight.  Thxs

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 12:16:37 PM »

Glad to hear the initial setup was easy and went well.

I haven't had any control problems and wonder if those are signal issues. Let's see if it's an Alexa issue first. When you speak the Alexa commands does the device respond in the Dashboard or device list and the LED on the PLM flicker? If yes, then that eliminates Alexa as an issue.  Does the light respond when controlling from the app?  On (yes)? Off? Dim?  If 'yes' to on and 'no' to off or dim then it sounds like a signal issue.  Are these LED bulbs?  I've had LED bulbs turn on ok but not off because they create noise when on.  A hash choke at the switch or light can solve that or sometimes a different brand of bulb. See: http://jvde.us/x10/x10_cfl.pdf for more info. The chokes can be ordered at ebay.to/39yWLYC

If you're using an LED bulb can you replace it with a 40W or higher incandescent bulb for testing? What type of switch/module are you using?  The best way to test would be to plug an incandescent lamp into a lamp module at the same outlet as the 2412U PLM for testing. That would prove or disprove the noise issue. Do you have any signal bridges/repeaters like an XTB-IIR?

There's nothing special you have to set up for dimming (other than setting it up as an 'X10 Dimmer' when adding devices) so if it at least turns on then you've set it up correctly.

Not that it should matter for this issue but make sure you have the latest f/w update by tapping the arrow in the upper right corner of the Smartenit-Harmony P2 device icon and clicking 'Updates' and it'll tell you if you're up to date or there's a new one. The latest is 3.15.0-6.  You can also set up auto updates.

mike1

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 03:59:09 PM »

Hi Brobin

The x10 dimmers are the older leviton and Home pro.  Th ed lightbulbs are incandescent.  Only led I use or Cree which I've verified to work.  So the only thing that has changed is that when I used the cm15a it was on a different outlet.  Also the new interface is plugged into an a 3 outlet splitter can this cause an issue?  Now I can dim but then it wont ramp up.  Now I cant control these incandescent lights nor with the app or Alexa.  I'll try to check out the light confirmation when I get home. Might have to get a re po eater.

Thxs again for the detailed answer.  But major improvements over the pc route. Again thxs for the advice! G
Mike

mike1

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 04:04:08 PM »

Hi Brobin

Also these two lights worked fine with Alex10 and the cm15a.

brobin

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 05:50:01 PM »

If the 3 outlet power strip (which is what I use too) is "protected" meaning it has surge protection and EMI filtering, that could attenuate the signal.  Try plugging the PLM into the same outlet that the CM15a used and see if there's a difference and also try a lamp module in the same outlet as the PLM to verify that the P2 is performing correctly. 
If it turns out to be a signal issue as I suspect it will, the XTB-IIR is far and away your best option to solve signal issues. 

mike1

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 06:02:07 PM »

Hi Brobin

No I wouldn't use a protective strip it's a cheap plastic 3 pulet connector being shared with my Alarm hub. I'm thinking I'm plugging in the other leg of the circuit so noise, distance issues. The piece you recommended xtb-ir is on TV hd pricey side.  Thoughts on the x10 powerline repeater plc01?  Also moving the interface to where I originally had it will be a problem. Since the p2 needs a network connection so it's new home is ideal. But I can move it for testing purposes.  Thxs again Mike

brobin

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 06:13:58 PM »

The PLC01 is a repeater but not a "phase" coupler.  I've never used the PLC01 so I can't comment but it's cheap enough to try. An XPCP coupler would be helpful with the PLC01.  But let's see how your testing goes first.

mike1

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 06:51:05 PM »

Hi Brobin
I have a phase coupler in my breaker box. I'll try the repeater see how it goes.
Keep you posted.

Thxs
Mike

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 07:20:52 PM »

If you are going to try the PLC01.
It is on sale. On the X10 site.
https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/specialty-devices/couplers-repeaters/plc01.html

If you have not found Jeff's X10 Troubleshooting Tutorials yet.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 06:08:21 AM by Brian H »

brobin

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 07:39:21 PM »

No I wouldn't use a protective strip it's a cheap plastic 3 pulet connector being shared with my Alarm hub.

Is the Alarm hub powered by a wall wart? Try unplugging it and see if that makes a difference.  Wall warts can be noisy and even if it never caused a problem it could when sharing an outlet.

mike1

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 11:44:39 AM »

Hi Brobin

Happy to report that adding the Plc helped tremendously.   I can dim now and control lights tha that were having issue. So two of my lights one starting working no problem.  This morning wasn't reacting again. Then I have one outside furthest point outside that doesn't work.

Thxs again

brobin

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 02:01:29 PM »

Glad to hear you've identified it as a signal issue and made progress.  You might try testing the PLC01 at different locations to see if you can find a spot that covers everywhere. The best spot might be closest to the electrical service panel or where the CM15a was plugged in.  I've had very good results using a Smarthome #4827 Boosterlinc in troublesome spots on a particular circuit. You can use multiple units as they don't cause ping ponging.  The Boosterlinc is no longer sold by Smarthome but can sometimes be found on ebay. 

mike1

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 03:57:47 PM »

Hi Brobin

What about adding another Plc.  Ok so the light that started working and stopped is because I installed a tplink repeater. As soon as I unplugged it that light started working.   So now what about a wifi repeater? Are they going to mess me up?  Ideas?  Thxs for your time. This is night and day though should have gone this route long time ago for x10. I hate windows10!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.