Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Solar Power and X10  (Read 921 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Solar Power and X10
« on: April 02, 2020, 06:10:40 PM »

About a year ago I purchased several 100W solar panels for emergency power in case the fan got dirty.  With the semi-lockdown here I finally got around to connecting them up.

We already have a bank of 4 deep discharge batteries for the UPS that powers our Electronics Circuit, so I decided to configure the four panels in series.  Then I could either use them to charge the battery bank if power goes away or feed a line-tie inverter to supplement our normal electrical consumption.

I had been concerned that the line-tie inverter would cause a problem for X10 operation, but I was surprised to find the XTBM-Pro registered absolutely no noise from it.

Since fees associated with net metering are more than I spent on the panels and inverter, I decided to set the solar angle to produce maximum output during the warmer months when our A/C is running most of the day.  But even at the present sub-optimum angle, the panels are delivering between 200W and 320W most of the day.  And X10 devices continue to operate perfectly.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Solar Power and X10
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 07:32:34 AM »

Most pure sine wave inverters are very good with X10 creating noise free power the grid tie inverters I would susspect would have even stricter power quality control. I get no noise from my magnum pure sine wave inverter, wish that I could say the same for my Generac backup generator.  However the noise from it is minimal.
I have found a couple of things that do produce enough noise that cause issues. These are my Keurig coffee maker and an old Laptop power supply. My coffee maker turns off my X10 controled radiant floor my laptop prevents my outdoor furnace from coming on ( if it is off)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 10:03:24 AM »

Follow-up:  I noticed that our "lawn" (20 x 40 foot patch of grass) was dry.  So the morning irrigation was not working. I checked signals with the XTBM-Pro, and found the XTBR only delivering about 3V instead of pegging the meter at 9.99V.  The solar inverter connects to the same circuit the XTBR is plugged into.  Isolating it with my prototype XTB-F15 has everything working again.  So while the inverter was not a noise source, it turned out to be a VERY serious signal sucker.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 01:14:09 PM »

Thank you for the information. That was a serious signal sucker.
I am glad you got it working.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.