Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My home automation system  (Read 6559 times)

jlp

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
My home automation system
« on: May 17, 2020, 06:47:05 PM »

Hello everybody.

I have been retired since November 2019. As my first project, I decided to learn English. I started about 3 months ago. I hope to be understandable in the description of my home automation system. For my second project, I modernized my home automation system. I use Arduino technology and the Virtuino application. Virtuino control Arduino over Internet, over wifi (Ethernet shield and ESP-01). Virtuino Control internet of things (via ThinSpeak.com).

I have a main module made up of two Arduino mega boards. The first Arduino mega transmits X10 commands to XTB-IIR and receives X10 signals. The second Arduino module interfaces between the first Arduino and Virtuino. I can control my home automation system from the Internet via my cell phone.

I installed a watchdog. Each Arduino mega checks every hour if the other is operating normally (including the server). If one Arduino does not respond, the other will reset it.

My new home automation system has been in service for about 2-3 months. For the moment, its efficiency is 100%.
I have several remote modules that communicate with the main server via Virtuino and Internet of things (ThinSpeak.com). From the temperature, humidity and CO2 sensors, it is possible to control different devices. I could start or stop ventilation, etc.
Each remote module is autonomous. If the server crashes or if there is a wifi failure, the modules will operate normally using a programmable timer. Arduino mega 1 will also work independently.

Below two links to view the graphs of my sensors. Each data represents the daily average.
I also put a figure which illustrates my home automation system.

I am very satisfied with my system at the moment. The performances are very good, it is very fast and reliable. I will make improvements and add remote modules in the future.

https://thingspeak.com/channels/669903
https://thingspeak.com/channels/813361

XTB-IIR                      1
LM465                      14
PR511                        2
TM751                       2
PHH02                       2
XPS3                         5
RR501                       2
SR227                       2
UM506                      3
WS467                      8
XPFM                         1
XPD13                       1
AM466                     17
Main module              1
Remote module          5
Server (smart phone) 1

Imagination is the most powerful graphics card there is.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: My home automation system
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 06:28:13 AM »

Thank you for sharing your project. Hope you can give us added information if others are interested.
 #:)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 01:06:44 PM by Brian H »

jlp

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 09:09:57 AM »

I'm going to be happy to provide information. As a bonus, I will practice English. :-*

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 01:02:09 PM »

@jlp, I think your system is super cool and you write English better than some native speakers here!  ??? ;D

jlp

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 08:19:34 PM »

Hello everybody.

I thought I would show you one of my remote modules. My smart clock represents the usefulness of my home automation system. I designed my smart clock from Arduino technology. I used an antique clock to make it look nice. A very important point. The clock fits well with the decor of my room. So my wife is happy. If my wife is happy, everything is fine.

The clock connects to the Internet. I program it from the Internet.

Adjustable Alarm
1. Wake up music
2. Put up Roller Shade

I have migraine attacks and my smart clock allows me to maintain a low level of CO2 in my room. Ambient lighting inside the clock allows me to determine the level of CO2. In the photo, the level was below 1000 ppm. The ambient lighting was blue.

400 - 1000 ppm: blue - everything is fine, the sky is blue
1001 - 1500 ppm: green - no problem
1501 - 2000 ppm: orange - warning
> 2000 ppm: red - danger, risk of migraine attack

If I want, I could start air exchanger, send an email, turn on lights (X10), etc. Everything is ready. I just have to program.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:02:38 AM by jlp »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 11:51:22 PM »

Very impressive!  #:) >!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 06:45:22 AM »

I learned early WAF is key in an automation setup. #:)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jlp

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 08:10:19 PM »

Yes, WAF is very important. For example, temperature, humidity and CO2 sensors are invisible. My home automation system integrates perfectly with the house, the furniture.

My system is also very reliable. It is important. All lighting is automated. But my wife likes to turn off the lights at night. She uses the application I developed for her cell phone. Its application is simpler than mine. There is only one page and contains only what she wants to use.

My wife understands that my home automation system is not just a gadget, but adds something more to the home, to its comfort.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 06:20:10 PM »

jlp you smart clock is very cool. Are you familiar with the "Instructables" site? https://www.instructables.com/. I bet you have several projects that the Instructables community would be interested in.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

jlp

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 08:04:28 PM »

A big thank you for the information. Probably this fall I will be able to publish my project. At the moment, I am very busy. My wife finds me work to do around the house. I also take advantage of the summer to learn English.

jlp

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 07:57:01 PM »

Hello,

I thought to give you a brief overview of how the X10 module in my home automation system works. It is very special. I chose Arduino because I didn't like the CM15a very much. I wanted something different. I had an XTB-IIR which I used to improve the performance of my system. I decided to do tests to see if I could pass X10 codes to it. My tests having been very conclusive, I then decided to make it the central part of my home automation system.

Many thanks to Jeff Volp for the XTB-IIR. It allows me to obtain a reliable and very efficient home automation system.

I drew a block diagram which represents the software part. I also give a diagram.

Operation:
If there are no inputs or outputs to execute, the refresh rate is approximately 6 times per second. First, the Arduino board reads the inputs from the Internet, then the wired inputs (Optocoupler), then the expired timers and finally the X10 inputs from the XTB-IIR. Whenever an input requires an X10 command, this command is stored in memory in order to be executed at the end of the cycle. So, once arduino has read all the inputs, it executes the commands, starting with the fastest ones, and eventually the slowest ones (X10). In my old version, I executed X10 commands immediately after reading the input. The efficiency rate was around 90%. By saving the input (EEPROM), I make sure I don't lose anything, and I have increased the efficiency to almost 100%.

For X10 commands, I use an old library. I managed to adapt the code for all the X10 modules that I use. In the attached block diagram, I give some examples.

jlp

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 11:40:07 AM »

Hello everyone,

This summer I designed and built a portable tester that allows me to take precise measurements inside my home. These measurements are uploaded on the Internet, which allows me to consult them remotely. So I can install it everywhere. I have to plug it into a WIFI network.

I can check the air quality in each room, or lend the device to a friend. This device is useful for perform a battery discharge tests, etc.

This is another tool for my home automation project.

See photo attached.

Humidity: 0 - 100% RH; ± 2% RH
Temperature: -40 - 80 ‘C; ± 0.5 ‘C
CO2: 400 - 5000 ppm; ± 50 ppm
DC voltage: 0 - 20.48 V; 16 bits precision (like a commercial precision multimeter)
DC current: 0 - 5 A; ± 0.05 A (At start-up, the amperage is calibrated to 0 A.) 

jlp

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 12:09:30 PM »

Sorry, I forgot to give you the link to access the online data. This data changes depending on the measurements I take. If the device is off, nothing is displayed.

https://thingspeak.com/channels/951390

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 12:35:26 PM »

Very Nice!

jlp

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 05:14:48 PM »

From the Internet, if we press the EXPORT RECENT DATA button, it is possible to download the data in a .csv format file. The data is in a table, every five minutes, or every minute, depending on the acquisition rate.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.