Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XC18A cameras-are they still Useful?  (Read 2203 times)

Moose

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
XC18A cameras-are they still Useful?
« on: June 11, 2020, 02:04:12 PM »

I bought a grab box of X10 stuff from E-bay recently that included 2 XC16a and one XC18a cameras, but no receivers. So, I wonder how the owner was using these? ??? Anyway, are any of you guys still making use of these? Because, if they are still useful, I presume that I will have to pick up an old receiver somewhere?? Thoughts?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: XC18A cameras-are they still Useful?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 06:23:11 PM »

Did you get the X10 controlled power supplies for them?

Technically each one could have had a receiver or one receiver could have been used. More than one would need each on a different channel and could still interfere with each other sometimes.

The cameras supply was X10 power line controlled. Using a Common X10 House Code and 4 Unit codes. 1-4,5-8,9-12 or 13-16.

If you sent a On command to one of the four in the group. The other three automatically turned Off with out being directly commanded Off. Like C1 On would automatically turn Off C2,C3 and C4. When first powered On. They defaulted to On. So until one was commanded On. They could step on each other.

The camera receivers where Composite Video and analog audio if that module included audio. So a Composite video input on a TV or Monitor would be need.

Moose

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 08:52:43 PM »

I have 2 power supplies with the Xc16's, which appear to be brand new. The Xc18 was clearly used. So, I was just looking for ideas. Should I spend the $50 or so to get a receiver?

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 09:01:42 PM »

I wouldn't.  For that $50 plus another $5 you can buy a two 1080P WiFi cameras on Amazon and have a better solution.  Here's one example: amzn.to/2UDoKBr

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 06:26:43 AM »

I don't think getting a receiver would give you much use.
Standard Def. Composite Video is not very useful these days.
I have seen some here. Using the switchable power supplies to power small devices and controlling them with an X10 command.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 08:29:59 AM »

If you realy wish to play with the old cameras there is a thread by Puck I believe that documents how to turn the wireless x10 cameras into wired versions. If you want wifi cameras do some research and be sure you can access the camera directly (no special app required ).

Many users have used the old camera power supplies for controling low voltage devices via X10.

I still have several of these old x10 cameras however none are in use as I moved to the x10 airsight cameras which I can view from HG or directly connect to via wifi.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 10:08:42 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 09:26:35 AM »

Now that you mentioned it. I too have seen the modification for getting the video directly.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 10:26:52 AM »

Here is the post that outlines wires to cut and use in the camera http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=13139.msg73205#msg73205 
I never did try this mod myself the video would be much clearer then wireless  but still not as good as the newer cameras unavailable.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Moose

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 02:07:42 PM »

If you want wifi cameras do some research and be sure you can access the camera directly (no special app required ).
I still have several of these old x10 cameras however none are in use as I moved to the x10 airsight cameras which I can view from HG or directly connect to via wifi.
Other than Airsight, can you recommend any camera brands that do not use their own app? I have not stumbled upon any.

Moose

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 02:12:36 PM »

I wouldn't.  For that $50 plus another $5 you can buy a two 1080P WiFi cameras on Amazon and have a better solution.  Here's one example: amzn.to/2UDoKBr

That looks like a reasonable choice, but in Canada we are looking at $100.  :(

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 02:25:38 PM »

I use some Foscam and other cameras that have an app but I don't use their apps.  Instead I just access the cameras through my LAN or a general camera app from my phone.  The app I've used for years is IP Cam Viewer by Robert Chou. It's not a cloud type of app but connects directly to just about any IP enabled camera or DVR/NVR and is well supported. 

Moose

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 02:52:59 PM »

The app I've used for years is IP Cam Viewer by Robert Chou. It's not a cloud type of app but connects directly to just about any IP enabled camera or DVR/NVR and is well supported.

Do you use the Basic version or did you opt for the Pro version? Does it work well and respond quickly when away from home?
How is it for "load" on your camera battery or data usage. I have a few Chinese cheap cameras and a couple of their apps can kill my phone in 2 hours.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 03:05:42 PM by Moose »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 02:59:09 PM »

If you want wifi cameras do some research and be sure you can access the camera directly (no special app required ).
Other than Airsight, can you recommend any camera brands that do not use their own app? I have not stumbled upon any.
most if not all wifi cameras have their own app you want one that you can log into the camera directly. Foscam and easyn cameras did this they are the only others I tried besides the Airsights. Then link cameras x10 sell need to log into a server on the cloud. Ive also used the Ip cam viewer
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Moose

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 03:07:41 PM »

Did you still need the proprietary app for the camera's initial setup?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »

No all setup was done via the cameras web interface.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.