Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modules that use extended codes  (Read 1228 times)

haguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Modules that use extended codes
« on: March 02, 2021, 03:36:10 PM »

Are there any modules (plugin or wire in) that use extended codes?

I've read about setting a direct dim level using extended codes, but can't figure out which modules can do this?  (Actually I found "switchlinc" brand but they use their own protocol)

I'm hoping for one that uses Extended codes

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Modules that use extended codes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 04:15:14 PM »

Many Leviton dimmer switches respond to extended codes to set the brightness directly.  We use that feature in our own home.  I don't know about plug-in modules using extended codes.

We have Smarthome lamp modules that respond to the 32 level X10 pre-set dim code to set brightness.  Our Ocelot controller issues both types of codes along with all standard X10 commands.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 06:29:05 PM »

X10 modules that are advertised as Soft Start. Can use Extended X10 commands. Along with the wall switches after 2007.

The LM465 with soft start ramps on and off at about a two second ramp rate not an instant On Off like the older revisions.
They are not two way so they can't report their present dim level, On or Off. With a Status Request.

X10WTI didn't change the part numbers. So we where confused by the no indication of a new design in the module. You had to go by the sales description.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/LM465
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/SoftStart
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Newer_Wall_Switches_and_Preset_Dim
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 06:54:48 AM by Brian H »

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 12:01:54 PM »

I agree with the earlier responses.  All of the X10 Pro-branded dimming modules I've come across also support extended commands (e.g. XPDF, XPDI3, PLM01, PLM03, PLM04; not sure about PLM02).  In addition, if you don't know whether your non-Pro LM465, WS467, etc. has Soft Start (and therefore supports extended commands), check the date code.  As was previously mentioned, the whole product line of modules that support dimming a load was converted over to new tech around late 2007.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 01:40:28 PM »

I agree with the earlier responses.  All of the X10 Pro-branded dimming modules I've come across also support extended commands (e.g. XPDF, XPDI3, PLM01, PLM03, PLM04; not sure about PLM02).  In addition, if you don't know whether your non-Pro LM465, WS467, etc. has Soft Start (and therefore supports extended commands), check the date code.  As was previously mentioned, the whole product line of modules that support dimming a load was converted over to new tech around late 2007. 

Since this was done over a decade ago, why the heck didn't they insist that the WM100 also supported extended codes when it was developed?

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 02:06:37 PM »

[quote author=JeffVolp link=topic=31458.msg187114#msg187114

Since this was done over a decade ago, why the heck didn't they insist that the WM100 also supported extended codes when it was developed?

Jeff
[/quote]

...or add a real time clock, or Alexa support, or multi location capability... rofl

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 02:00:06 PM »

My impression was that the WM100 was to be a starting point for a new class of WiFi modules, and I was happy to support that effort.  But we only got, what, 2 or 3 very minor bugfix firmware updates total after the initial one?  And no hardware updates.  I still find the WM100 too limited to suit any of my personal interests, so still it sits in the box.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.