Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 with home theater....(behind a ups on battery side)  (Read 5339 times)

Sdruid11

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 with home theater....(behind a ups on battery side)
« on: July 11, 2020, 11:53:23 PM »

I have a basic home theater setup that I began years ago with a Logitech harmony remote kit... I have added many TVs, Ethernet switches, insteon hubs, streaming boxes controlled by X10 lamp controllers And everything works great but my issue is that all Of the devices are behind a 1500va ups on the battery side for protection and I don’t know of any way to expand my setup beyond or outside of the ups...

I read years back about a certain brand of ups being suitable for X10 circuits in a forum similar to this one but of course I don’t remember where I saw it at now so I’m stuck basically.....

Both the harmony remote and X10 plugs have greatly simplified my life and I have a box full of other X10 plugs and devices ready to extend my X10 network with but I’m stuck within a ups...

I have an insteon hub in the mist of all the madness serving as one of my X10 controllers to complement the ir543...allowing me to control ip cameras outside of the ups circuit and that’s about as far as I have come...

Any ideas ?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

——
Sdruid11@yahoo.com

x10wizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: X10 with home theater....(behind a ups on battery side)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 03:29:30 AM »

Install a JVDE XTB-IIR+ repeater at the main circuit breaker panel, and install a JVDE XTB-523 powerline interface on the UPS's AC output side. Couple the two XTB units via their digital ports using CAT5 cable. This method was suggested by Jeff Volp to solve a similar problem: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30257.msg172967#msg172967

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 09:26:21 AM »

If you use the XTB-IIR and XTB523. Make sure you contact Jeff to get the proper wiring pin out connections and probably a small power source. As both units have a opto isolated I/O.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 10:42:23 AM »

If you use the XTB-IIR and XTB523. Make sure you contact Jeff to get the proper wiring pin out connections and probably a small power source. As both units have a opto isolated I/O.

It is not quite as simple as just a pull-up on each line.  The XTB-523 and XTB-IIR digital ports emulate the TW523 protocol.  That requires the controller to have an active high output and an active low input.  So a logic inversion is necessary between the two units.  That is easily done with a pull-up resistor and transistor in each direction.  And obviously a small 5V power module.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 06:17:06 PM »

Thanks for the information.
After looking at the schematics I realized it would be a little more involved.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 08:49:18 AM »

I'd  pick up a Pi board that has wifi and install the PiX10Hub image with a cm15a, or cm19 plugged into a usb port on the pi.
The  Pi could be powered from the ups. If you use the cm15 it would have to be powered off the ups. If you use a cm19 you would need a rr501 module which would have to be plugged in off the ups.
Depending how you wish to power cycle x10 devices not on the ups you may have to configure HomeGenie(included in the image) and or one of your  hubs to point to Homegenie for X10.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 09:11:11 AM »

I'd recommend the X10 XPCP passive coupler to get around the UPS.  Wire one pair of wires from the coupler to the output side of the UPS, and the other pair of wires to an outlet on the line side.  Then install the XTB-IIR at the panel to repeat the incoming signal to a much higher level for distribution throughout your home.

If you can co-locate the XPCP with the XTB-IIR, you can plug the line side of the XPCP into the X10 Boost input on the XTB-IIR to directly boost the incoming signal.

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 09:22:18 AM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.