Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do I uninstall x10 system?  (Read 1476 times)

Stumpy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How do I uninstall x10 system?
« on: September 01, 2020, 08:09:38 PM »

I bought a house with an x10 system installed.

No offense to anyonhere but I would like to uninstall it entirely

Any easy way to do this?

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: How do I uninstall x10 system?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 08:55:26 PM »

Can you be a little more specific about the 'x10 system'?

Is there a hardwired controller and hardwired modules, etc?

Are there light switches that are x10?

Are there plug in controllers and modules?

Are lights and appliances on timers?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 06:07:07 PM »

Crystal ball batteries are dead so I'm shooting in the dark. These are just shotgun suggestions.

1. Change all X10 wall switches to standard switches, or three way switches if applicable.
2. Check all the outlets for two tiny dials, indicating it is an X10 outlet. Switch out to standard outlets.
3. Any lights, fans, appliances plugged in to X10 modules, remove the modules and plug directly in to wall.
4.  Check your breaker panel for an X10 repeater and or wire-in X10 filter. If installed correctly there will be two breakers, or one double wide breaker labeled X10. (ask previous owner if possible).
5. X10 also made "wire-in" modules. The wire-ins were used many times for ceiling fixtures. They are the same size as the plug-in modules so if you have any, they are likely mounted in the fixtures box (attic?). Again if possible ask previous owner.

This is sort of a 10,000 foot view. Could be more extensive, for example: did the previous owner leave any automation equipment or was home automation or phone control mentioned in the real estate ad?

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 07:58:47 PM »

Have to say this caught my attention. The ultimate “how to”. A real vote of confidence for X10.

If you have to ask how to uninstall X10 I strongly recommend employing an electrician to do it for  you. Safety first.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 05:17:20 PM »

An old topic, but thought it's worth mentioning that there are a handful of devices that could be hiding beyond the visible plugin and wire in switch/outlets.  If you have any fixtures that don't have a switch or the switch has been blocked off (by duct tape or some kind of cover), that device could have a fixture module installed.  In that case, you will need to look inside the electric box where it is mounted to see if there is an inline module controlling the device's operation.  Look up the XPFM or XPDF as the primary 2.

https://www.x10.com/xpfm.html
https://www.x10.com/xpdf-inline-dimmable-receiver-module.html

If you find either, you will need to remove them and wire the device in as normal.  Keep in mind that if there is no switch controlling these, they may be live at all times so you may require another solution to control them (e.g., motion sensor, thermostat, etc).

Flicker

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 08:25:05 PM »

Light Switches/x-10 Smarthome. Our x10 system worked great for 30 years. What type of electrician can do an uninstall. We called a couple and they were not familiar with x10. What is the best service provider to repair, replace or revert to standard wall switches. Our home has X 10 wall switches for the overhead lights. All of the teleworking and homeschooling resulted in some switches (wall) no longer cutting on that light. We probably did 5 years of on and off during the lockdown. The switches and modules are no longer being made and we need to do something. And today we came home and a light was on. We have never had any issues but it’s obviously time to do some thing and want to know if we should find a home automation person or if an electrician what questions do we ask to make sure they have the experience?There are a host of technologies ( z wave, Insteon, newer x10). Looking for someone who can advise us on the best route to take. We know that a regular electrician won’t be able to guide us.  We had an electrical outlet replaced and when we showed our X 10 ceiling/wall switches-the person looked like a deer in the headlights. :-). So any recommendations of type of provider that can fix, repair, create a hybrid system, or go back to old fashion switches would be appreciated.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 11:35:46 PM »

Any electrician can replace switches as can a homeowner. If you still want to use your existing components, they should work once you eliminate the issues you added. Those are most likely the extra power supplies and power strips. There are many guides posted here to fix line noise and signal suckers.

Flicker

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 09:44:49 AM »

Good morning and thanks we will do more reading on this site and appreciate the guidance.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.